Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent zapping sound

Hi!

I am currently using the silverstone st60f 600W (Enhance made) in my media center pc. It is emitting an annoying some sort of zapping sound from the psu that last for around 5 to 10 seconds. After that the noise would stop for quite sometime before it happen again. It doesn't matter whether the pc is running any intensive tasks or not. The noise just come and go anytime, even when the pc is in standby mode. Therefore it is definitely not the fan problem.

The funny thing is even when it running intensive tasks like fps gaming even at close to full settings, the pc is still very stable. No hangups or bsods. Just that the intermittent noise is annoying. What could have caused the zapping sound? Thanks.

Re: Intermittent zapping sound

Hi Leekh

A zapping sound is probably made by arcing somewhere.
    If it does it when the computer is "off" that leaves the Primary side and the 5vsb as the main suspects.
    This could be dangerous.

My advice is to not leave this PSU plugged in the wall. Especially, do not leave it plugged in while unattended.

If it is still under any kind of warranty, do not open it up. Try to get some kind of RMA going.

If it is out of warranty or you don't care about voiding it, many here will be happy to help you get to the bottom of it. Often, zapping sounds are caused by insects that crawl inside and short out.

Good Luck,
    Keri
    The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Thanks for your reply KeriJane.

I happened to get into the bios to check the voltage. To my dismay, the voltage from the 3.3V flunctuates between only 2.9V to 3V, which is already out of the specs. the 5V and 12V rails is still withing the 5% tolerance specs. The 3.3V may be the cause of the zapping sound from the PSU.

Anyway, I have already stop using the media center pc until my new PSU arrives, in fear that it will damage my expensive components. I have ordered a new version of the ST60F from silverstone. The new version has a 135mm fan as opposed to the 120mm of the older ST60F.
      Here is the information of the new ST60F: http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...no=ST60F&area=
      Here is the information of the old ST60F:
      http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...=o-st60f&area=

Comment

Originally posted by leekh
        Thanks for your reply KeriJane.

I happened to get into the bios to check the voltage. To my dismay, the voltage from the 3.3V flunctuates between only 2.9V to 3V, which is already out of the specs. the 5V and 12V rails is still withing the 5% tolerance specs. The 3.3V may be the cause of the zapping sound from the PSU.

Anyway, I have already stop using the media center pc until my new PSU arrives, in fear that it will damage my expensive components. I have ordered a new version of the ST60F from silverstone. The new version has a 135mm fan as opposed to the 120mm of the older ST60F.
        Here is the information of the new ST60F: http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...no=ST60F&area=
        Here is the information of the old ST60F:
        http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...=o-st60f&area=

The bios is never correct, use a digital multimeter. If you 3.3v was that low, chances are you computer wouldn't even start at all.

Comment

Ok. 370forlife, I already used my multimeter to probe the 3.3V rail. I read only 3.03V. The 5V rail read 5.12V and the 12V rail read 12.18V.

Comment

Originally posted by leekh
            Ok. 370forlife, I already used my multimeter to probe the 3.3V rail. I read only 3.03V. The 5V rail read 5.12V and the 12V rail read 12.18V.
            Hmm, thats no good. Well, RMA it if you can.

Comment

Thanks 370forlife. It already ordered the new PSU from silverstone. Also the same model but this new one is quite different from the current ST60F i am currently using.
              This is the specs of the new PSU:
              http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...no=ST60F&area=
              Last edited by leekh; 09-27-2009, 07:47 PM.

Comment

isnt silverstone a crap brand?
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                  isnt silverstone a crap brand?

Silverstone is excellent

Impervio, etasis, enhance and FSP make up the majority of their OEM's. I would say Impervio and Enhances are right up there with delta's. Their FSP units were based on the epsilon platform and had problems with ripple, but FSP seems to have fixed that problem, at least on the new FSP based coolermaster silent pro M 1kw, which now has rubycon, nichicon, and UCC caps.

Comment

Hi!

Yesterday i received my new PSU. After installation, i go to the bios and check the voltages. This time the all the voltages are within normal limits. The 3.3V rail now registers as 3.2676V stable.

I fired up the intensive fps games and everything goes as smoothly as b4. Whole system is extremely rock stable as b4. Now that the new PSU is much quieter probably due to the new 135mm ball-bearing fan. No more zapping sound now.

Comment

sorry, i was thinking skyhawk. my bad.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                      X