This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Yeah, and a CapXon/Teapo need all the help they can get when it comes to heat

Comment

Capxon never last too long. But I own psus from 2000 with Teapo caps that are in perfect condition.

Comment

Though I have pulled a few bulged Teapo from relatively unstressed environments so I view them with scepticism. Better than CapXon but not much better...
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I've posted a detailed mini-review/teardown of Tenma 72-8695 linear power supply on EEVblog :

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/product...view-teardown/

It's a 2x 32v @ 3A / 1x64v @ 3A (adjustable) + 5v@2A fixed output psu.

Not gonna post it a second time here but if you want to see it follow the link.
          Last edited by mariushm; 09-25-2012, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah they're definitely better than CapXon, the reason I say it in this situation is because the Teapo is on the 5VSB

Edit: I found this hilarious. We had a Bestec that came in that I fixed just for our linux machine, the CapXon on the 5VSB died so it wouldn't boot up. I put a Teapo on there just to see if it would work and it did. So I just let it power our Pentium 4 machine, integrated graphics and a USB drive for the OS. I left all the other CapXon's because none of them were bulging. Just 3 weeks later I shine a flashlight in there and I see one bulging and leaking out the top LOL. The thing has been blowing out room temperature air the entire time. It's funny how bad they are. Might as well recap it.
            Last edited by Pentium4; 09-25-2012, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
              Yeah they're definitely better than CapXon, the reason I say it in this situation is because the Teapo is on the 5VSB

Edit: I found this hilarious. We had a Bestec that came in that I fixed just for our linux machine, the CapXon on the 5VSB died so it wouldn't boot up. I put a Teapo on there just to see if it would work and it did. So I just let it power our Pentium 4 machine, integrated graphics and a USB drive for the OS. I left all the other CapXon's because none of them were bulging. Just 3 weeks later I shine a flashlight in there and I see one bulging and leaking out the top LOL. The thing has been blowing out room temperature air the entire time. It's funny how bad they are. Might as well recap it.
              And still Corsair uses them in psus......

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                Man, what a shame if they were to use crap caps I'd at least want OST in there

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                  It depends on the series, but Corsair used UCC's in the TX series 650w Seasonic-based power supply. I posted photos in post #286 in this thread.
                  Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

I had a very similar experience with CapXon, also in a Bestec....

A friend of mine gave me his old Bestec ATX-250 12Z because it wouldn't work. Problem: bulged 16V 1000uF CapXon KM on the -12V rail. So, like you, I changed only that cap (with a used Sam Young 16V 1000uF general purpose 105C rated cap!) to see if the PSU would work and it did. A month later, with the PSU seeing no use at all, I plugged it in an old PC with an AMD Duron 750 MHz CPU. Within minutes, my room started to stink like dead fish. I opened it up and what did I see??? - another bulged 16V 1000uF CapXon KM, this time on the 12V rail.

The 3.3V, 5V, and 5VSB rails on that PSU are all Teapo and they seem to be in good shape too.

I think CapXon really is one of the worst cap manufacturers, probably down with Rulycon and Sacon/Evercon.

Comment

In this post, everell details out why it's very likely that Bestecs fail so quickly - hot diodes, bad capacitors, and components being crowded into too small a space + shoddily designed circuit + keeping 5VSB on = expedited PSU death. While some are in disagreeance with that explanation I think it's the most sound and I also believe it. Teapo will probably do okay so long as they're kept away from heat and stress, especially the low ESR ones (like the SC series). Yes, though, it sounds as though Capxon are as bad as the worst of the worst - BH, Choyo, Fuhjyyu, Evercon, Rulycon, and like so...
                      Last edited by Wester547; 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        I had a very similar experience with CapXon, also in a Bestec....

A friend of mine gave me his old Bestec ATX-250 12Z because it wouldn't work. Problem: bulged 16V 1000uF CapXon KM on the -12V rail. So, like you, I changed only that cap (with a used Sam Young 16V 1000uF general purpose 105C rated cap!) to see if the PSU would work and it did. A month later, with the PSU seeing no use at all, I plugged it in an old PC with an AMD Duron 750 MHz CPU. Within minutes, my room started to stink like dead fish. I opened it up and what did I see??? - another bulged 16V 1000uF CapXon KM, this time on the 12V rail.

The 3.3V, 5V, and 5VSB rails on that PSU are all Teapo and they seem to be in good shape too.

I think CapXon really is one of the worst cap manufacturers, probably down with Rulycon and Sacon/Evercon.
                        Ha, that's hilarious! This one was also a Bestec ATX-250 12Z and the one that just failed was a 1000uf 16V on the 12V rail. KF series

Comment

I was going to replace the primaries on the Bestec too, so I took off the CapXon intending to replace them with YC's that looked beefier, but the CapXon feels like it ways more than the YC. The YC is a little shorter but a lot wider. Which do you think would be better? It's just for a 250W PSU but I still want to use the better one. Unfortunately I don't have a capacitor meter
                          Attached Files

Comment

YC for me
                            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

YC for me too. They aren't great caps, but so far i've found them to be better than CapXon (any series) or Samxon GF. I'd say they're about on par with Teapo/G-Luxon.
                              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Only thing is the YC tend to fake the capacitance. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19638
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yeah, doesn't CapXon fake them too? If they're on par with Teapo at least then I'd rather use the YC

Comment

Yeah, doesn't CapXon fake them too? If they're on par with Teapo at least then I'd rather use the YC
                                    CapXon and Teapo are probably honest as they are seen in most consumer stuff too, not cheap power supplies. I don't think you could long get away with lying about capacitance if you were selling to everyone. I haven't seen YC caps outside of crappy power supplies. I don't know if they are some kind of in house brand? Or variant just for L&C? Or just have a contact with the company?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                      CapXon and Teapo are probably honest as they are seen in most consumer stuff too, not cheap power supplies. I don't think you could long get away with lying about capacitance if you were selling to everyone. I haven't seen YC caps outside of crappy power supplies. I don't know if they are some kind of in house brand? Or variant just for L&C? Or just have a contact with the company?
                                      Yeah, that's a very good point!
                                      Edit: I found some 560uf 200V OST's, I'll just use those. The leads on the YC's after desoldering were too short anyways
                                      Last edited by Pentium4; 09-26-2012, 03:51 PM.

Comment

No. Capxon makes awful caps but when they are new they always are in specs

Comment

I do however recall the story of older Vestel LCDs having fake primary capacitors... supposed to be 220uF at 450V but actually turned out to be closer to 100uF at 450V... they found out for real when they went BANG after about a year.

Comment

Working...
                                          X