This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

OEM's answer: PFC? No, that doesn't mean power factor correction... That means, uh, something else. Not power factor correction *chuckle*.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Just wanted to share some pics of a Compaq 200w ATX PSU.

Every caps is name brand. The primaries and small ones are Rubycons, the rest are Sanyo, with one UCC.

The heatsink appears to have a temperature sensor.

This is a Lite-On built unit.

I don't understand the wiring colours. Is this a standard ATX supply, despite the non-standard wire colours?
      Attached Files

Comment

I think those are Panasonic, not Sanyo.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I can't understand why they assemble them with the heatsinks so sloppy, there is no evidence of at least some effort to make them stand up the way they should. Or, do they not know how they should stand up?
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
            OEM's answer: PFC? No, that doesn't mean power factor correction... That means, uh, something else. Not power factor correction *chuckle*.
            Prone to Frying Computers?

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
            Every caps is name brand. The primaries and small ones are Rubycons, the rest are Sanyo, with one UCC.
            They are indeed Panasonic
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              Prone to Frying Computers?

I think you're right!

Comment

Kinda disappointed with this Antec, mostly because of the cap choice. Looks like an FSP build. At least it has APFC. And I paid $10 for it brand new. Hooray for voiding the warranty straight out of the box.

All output caps are CapXon there's 2 Teapo's. One on the 5VSB and that tiny one next to the MOSFET's. Bridge rectifier mounted to the heatsink is a GBU805. Going to recap the entire thing. Would you guys trust this for 500W with a recap? I was thinking more along the lines of 430W continuous. It is 80 plus at least. What do you guys think? Either way, great for $10
                Attached Files

Comment

Those aren't 500W heatsinks, IMO... not even 400W. I know it's 80%+ efficient/Active PFC and I know it depends upon the rest of the components but I wouldn't consider it more than 350W, though maybe I'm being a bit harsh. The output capacitors do not look particularly overspec'd. I could be wrong, though - if the bridge rectifier is on a heatsink it could do 400W.

Comment

Dunno about 500W, as that platform is known for its high ripple, but 400-430W should be OK. It probably runs quite hot with those heat sinks too.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

With some Japanese caps the ripple should improve a decent amount. Is Y.L Fan a good brand? I don't want to worry about that thing dying...

Comment

The fan is a Yate Loon. They are usually OK. They aren't quite on par with SanAce and NMB, but they are still much better than ADDA.

Comment

I think so too. Probably HFQ series. The 185W PSU in my HP Pavilion 8756 is also made by Lite-On. The Pentium 3 era Lite-On PSUs and older are built like tanks with usually all Japanese capacitors.

Comment

^ Those Newton Powers (200W) Dell PSUs from that era (P3) are also built like tanks. They're all Taicon/UCC/Rubycon capacitors and they come with thick heatsinks, overbuilt rectifiers, and high speed fans. And well, I wonder, what's worse than ADDA?

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                              The fan is a Yate Loon. They are usually OK. They aren't quite on par with SanAce and NMB, but they are still much better than ADDA.
                              Good to know. It's pretty quiet. I didn't think Adda were that bad but I've definitely seen a few die causing PSU's with no OTP to burn themselves up

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                Those aren't 500W heatsinks, IMO... not even 400W. I know it's 80%+ efficient/Active PFC and I know it depends upon the rest of the components but I wouldn't consider it more than 350W, though maybe I'm being a bit harsh. The output capacitors do not look particularly overspec'd. I could be wrong, though - if the bridge rectifier is on a heatsink it could do 400W.
                                They can do it with enough airflow. That's the reason why all FSP supplies are much louder than similar competition products. If they decreased airflow, it would mostly not even survive warranty time.
                                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

The Antec is ok.

It is indeed an FSP. This model is nothing spectacular but it will do its job. The heatsinks are ok unless the psu is designed to be silent. You might want to check this.

I don't like that this is supposed to be a 500W model (or 650W here) and the secondary caps are usually 2x2200 at 12V and 2x1000 at 5V or 3.3V. This is too low for 430W+.

If I was going to recap that thing I would try to go higher in uF. And the Capxons are going to bulge in the end no matter how cool they are kept. Just look at my link above.

Comment

^ This may be an obvious question, but do the output capacitors determine how much power the secondary outputs can do or are they more there to lower ripple, noise, and guarantee stability on each voltage output (like with the coils - augmenting efficiency), with the rectifiers supplying the power? And I imagine Capxons would do better if kept very cool and if kept away from stress, but yes, they are prone to fail.
                                    Last edited by Wester547; 09-25-2012, 05:25 AM.

Comment

The esr should be low enough to keep ripple in specs and the total uF per line filter transient voltages especially when the system draws a lot of watts.

Comment

How come a few of the caps have heatshrinks on them? Cause I'm too lazy to replace them if they're important

Comment

FSP does that, not sure why…maybe heat protection? Its usually between coils and such.
                                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                                          X