Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth re-capping of Allied AL-A350ATX

Hi All,
    Since I'll be recapping my Antec 550 soon, I thought I'd get other power supplies, laying around, in working order to power some less than 1ghz m'boards I have. I had two in mind, an Astec ATX-250-3505, and a Allied AL-350ATX. The Astec works, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it had all Nichicon caps (or all I could see). So I won't worry about that one. The Allied is non-working, and looking in found it populated with Jun Fu, G-Luxon, and Capxon. The two big caps are Jun Fu. The ps apparently wasn't run much, it's very clean inside (some dirt on the fan blades), but the Jun Fu 3300uf @ 16v has leaked.

My question is: Based on your experience with Allied's, are the other components of a high enough grade that the 350 watts, stated on the sticker, would be actually realized after a re-cap? Or should I just not bother?

Thanks, Richard
    "The world is full of alchemists who are, unfortunately, deluded as to the value of gold."

"To see the wealth of nature is to understand the nature of wealth"

WhozitSayzit

Re: Worth re-capping of Allied AL-A350ATX

Allied are made by Deer, a bad name.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

The allied is not even good enough for a paper weight, usually too light.

I would just stick with the astec, they are good psu's, I have one out of a hp vectra that has all Chemi-con caps in it.

If you are going for a cheap psu to run/test older systems, get something like a FSP or even a rosewill. I have a 350W rosewill psu that runs my spare computer with a 3200+ with 2gb of ram, 80gb 7200rpm drive, dvd/cd-rom drive and a 8600gt. The voltages are somewhat stable (just from looking at speedfan from what the motherboard says,) but it does push out some hot air.

Comment

Recapping an Allied is a waste of time and caps.

Comment

I've recapped Deer/Allied PSUs in the past, and whether it is worthwhile or not depends on various factors - including the value of your time, availability of better alternatives, the value of the data on the prospective system in which it will be installed, etc. For me, the recaps + additional upgrade(s) of secondary rectifier(s) and fans, have worked OK, and all systems are still fully functional after 18-24 months - but none of them is a server or critical piece of IT infrastructure.

In short: YMMV, but it worked out for me. It also helped that I had access to good caps, rectifiers and NMB fans at clearance prices, not single-unit retail.

Comment

My lack of trust for this power supply (based on forum accounts) and the price of perfectly good caps wasted on it, will probably make me decide to not re-cap it. Despite it's being used simply as a soldering practice psu, I really ought to pragmatically look for viable alternatives.
            Many thanks to all of you for your input!
            Richard
            "The world is full of alchemists who are, unfortunately, deluded as to the value of gold."

"To see the wealth of nature is to understand the nature of wealth"

WhozitSayzit

Comment

Working...
            X