Shuttle PC35I2402 Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuttle PC35I2402 Power Supply

I have an old shuttle ITX PC that i'm fixing for a client that came in with a bad power supply and motherboard. I found a motherboard online and replaced it and it is running fine now. I cannot find a suitable replacement power supply. (very small dimensions 42mm x 62mm x 190mm)

I am attaching some pictures of the components. When I first opened the unit it had a swollen OST RLS series 10V 2200uf cap. I replaced it with a Nichicon HZ with the same values. I also used my "Blue ESR meter" to test the other caps and they seem to be within normal ranges.

Please help with whatever you can.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Attached Files

Re: Shuttle PC35I2402 Power Supply

you dont say anything.

is the psu running?
    if not, is the standby 5v running?

Comment

Sorry for the missing info.

When i plug it into my power supply tester the +12V & +5V light up but start fading away immediately.

As a side note I just found out with it pulled apart without the cooling fan plugged in it lights all of the indicators except -5V.

As soon as i also tried plugging in a molex plug or the cooling fan into the tester it only lit 12V & 5V again and started fading away.

It does not run a PC or the PSU tester. I have a DMM and can test farther with some guidance.

Thanks for your help!
      Last edited by jedwar10; 09-02-2016, 01:31 PM. Reason: Missing info.

Comment

well i would start by replacing all the small caps with god low esr ones.

Comment

As I said elsewhere, electrolytic capacitors can go bad without any visible signs.
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Thanks to both Japlytic & STJ for the help on this one. I've been slammed at work and just got back to this project. After suggestions from both users I went back over the board with my Blue ESR meter for the smaller caps. I only tested the larger caps originally. I found a small 100uf 25v cap (circled in red on the photo) that wouldn't register on my ESR meter at all, even after removing it from the circuit.

I have since replaced the offending electrolytic with a Rubycon ZL of the same values and the tiny PSU is back to life.

Thanks again Japlytic & STJ

Jason
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X