Not strictly a motherboard, but a PSU!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not strictly a motherboard, but a PSU!

Hi, first post here so I'm sorry if I got it all wrong!

I know trodas already from the OCW Forums, where I'm known as RayvenX

Anyhow, the subject of my post is a somewhat unfortunate PSU, a GTR 450W-Li. I've not heard of the brand before, my friend from Hong Kong brought it back to the UK for me, but it has 30A on a single 12v rail and is very stable, even under high loads so I don't want to throw it away (although the bright colour scheme and half-transparent housing is a bit 'bling' for my liking)...

I looked in the top of it, having become somewhat more aware of the issues with caps in computer components and noticed it's full of bright yellow Fuhjyyus I'll be contacting Big Pope with regard to getting some replacement Samxons, but it's a bit hard to work out all of all the caps, so some advance de-soldering will probably be required.

I've got some pics of the PSU in question (with bright yellow caps, no idea what the big ones are?) on my Picasa album here:
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lainazurael/GTR450WLiPSU

This one concerns me a little because while none of the caps have bulged, the crusty substance on the top of the cap in focus here and the one in font definitely doesn't match the glue used elsewhere in the PSU:

Anyway, enough of this rant Suffices to say I've stopped using the PSU in question until I've got replacements in there!

Re: Not strictly a motherboard, but a PSU!

Ultra X connect uses this same board and same with some Acer Power units I've seen, there not that hard to do, but becarful cause the 5V and ground traces are somewhat close together (briding is easy).

P.S there are two caps on the 12V rail, one is a 16V 470uf that is "standing" on top of a small coil and then the big one on the board, the 16V 470uF should be change with a larger value. I have put in 16V 2200uF cap in it's place with no problem and the output is quite a bit cleaner.

Comment

YECH! Get ALL those damn Fuhjyyu caps out of there!

Comment

I suspect the crustiness is dried up flux, that they just weren't rinsed very well after soldering. I might be wrong but without enough pressure to bend the top it is unusual for there to be a leak on top unless it was just outright defective cap manufacturing (flaw in the metal or stamped too deep).

Comment

Working...
        X