Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ADP-160FR ps4 slim PSU, shuts down under load and has severe coil whine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADP-160FR ps4 slim PSU, shuts down under load and has severe coil whine.

Hi all, the PSU originally had a no 12v issue where as soon as I bridged the 5v standby to the ACDC_stby the psu would switch itself off completely. I monitored the voltage on the main filter caps while doing this and saw that the PFC was bringing the voltage up to around 360vdc before shutting down. Given that I saw that as a little low I replaced the PFC feedback resistors from a donor PSU and that got it to power on, without a load no coil whine is present and there is a stable 12v however as soon as I put it in the PS4 it starts whining really badly, however 12v remains stable but after a couple seconds turns off. The funny thing is I tried probing the feedback pin on the PFC while it was operating in the PS4 and the coil whine seems to stop when I probe between hot ground and feedback pin.. It still doesnt behave normally however and turns off after some time. I measured voltages on the PFC and it might fluctuate slowly from 392v to 406v but apart from that everything checks out. I have swapped the PFC IC as well as the PFC mosfet. Why would a smps develop such audible coil whine? Could it not be switching smoothly?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Gjackson; 01-13-2024, 11:07 AM.

check the main filter capacitor on the primary.

Comment

• Gjackson
      Gjackson commented
      Editing a comment
      They both check out fine I think, both at 63uf on my cheap meter when they are marked at 68uf. So I don't think they're the issue. To be honest I did suspect them because at one point while i was power cycling the PSU the PFC somehow boosted them up to over 450VDC before shutting down which is over their rated voltage. But i suppose it was quick enough that they didn't get damaged. Could it possibly be the NTC on the output side of the bridge rectifier?

here's a link to a schematic of a very similar power supply.

https://elektrotanya.com/sony_play_s.../download.html

Comment

interesting... it uses N-channel mosfets (9990GH) and a controller (MP6922) to rectify on the secondary, instead of using ultrafast diodes... Maybe something is wrong there and puts a load on the primary? The NTC could be only cutting / limiting the rectified power mains. A coil whine usually associates with something being wrong in the secondary.

Comment

Yep, not much to go wrong there to be fair, Maybe the mp6922 is acting up? I can try replacing it with a donor and see if that solves anything. I am not sure wether I should be looking at the 12v circuit or the PFC honestly, I kind of focused on the PFC due to the fact that as soon as I probed the feedback pin of the 1612A3 the coil whine ceased, so i assumed that something was wrong there? Since you mentioned that coil whine usually originates from the secondary side, maybe that ultrafast diode on the PFC secondary is bad? It checks out fine with a multimeter but I suppose it could be leaking a bit.
        Last edited by Gjackson; 01-14-2024, 08:18 AM.

Comment

That's the kicker! It's not a diode on the secondary, it's an n channel mosfet with a body diode. The mp6922 is controlling it for synchronous operation of these mosfets in order to rectify. Usually you just would find a ultrafast diode. Not in this case. So don't check it like a diode, you have to check these 9990GH as an n channel mosfet.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
            That's the kicker! It's not a diode on the secondary, it's an n channel mosfet with a body diode. The mp6922 is controlling it for synchronous operation of these mosfets in order to rectify. Usually you just would find a ultrafast diode. Not in this case. So don't check it like a diode, you have to check these 9990GH as an n channel mosfet.
            Yep exactly right, I guess this configuration allows for higher power? But alas I replaced both the mp6922 and both mosfets and still the issue remains. I checked the 12v and 5v rails with my scope during operation and lots of noise appears on the 12v under load, so I suppose 12v is the issue and not PFC? Still confused as to how probing the PFC controller stops the whine if 12v is the issue but anyways. I really don't know where to proceed from here, I went ahead and also swapped both mosfets on the hot side of the 12v smps and still the issue remains. Maybe I can proceed with checking the capacitors on the output side of 12v? The only IC that remains to be replaced is the DAP049 (DDA001AG in the schematic). but as you said coil whine usually originates from the cold side.

Appreciate your insight as always!

Comment

Originally posted by Gjackson View Post

Yep exactly right, I guess this configuration allows for higher power? But alas I replaced both the mp6922 and both mosfets and still the issue remains. I checked the 12v and 5v rails with my scope during operation and lots of noise appears on the 12v under load, so I suppose 12v is the issue and not PFC? Still confused as to how probing the PFC controller stops the whine if 12v is the issue but anyways. I really don't know where to proceed from here, I went ahead and also swapped both mosfets on the hot side of the 12v smps and still the issue remains. Maybe I can proceed with checking the capacitors on the output side of 12v? The only IC that remains to be replaced is the DAP049 (DDA001AG in the schematic). but as you said coil whine usually originates from the cold side.

Appreciate your insight as always!
              i don't know a lot about ps4 psu's but most of the psu's that i've worked had a voltage comparator on the secondary that would return a feedback voltage through a optocoupler. i would check tthat system and also the driver of the mosfet (probably a pwm/voltage monitor on the secondary)

Comment

Went ahead and checked the 12v filter capactors too, checked out fine.

Comment

Originally posted by temyth View Post

i don't know a lot about ps4 psu's but most of the psu's that i've worked had a voltage comparator on the secondary that would return a feedback voltage through a optocoupler. i would check tthat system and also the driver of the mosfet (probably a pwm/voltage monitor on the secondary)
                  Yes you're right, same with these PSU's, they too use a comparator IC (IC132 OAR6YA in the schematic). I haven't suspected anything there due to the fact that the 12v output voltage is pretty much spot on, apart from the noise. I'll try swapping that too, worth a try. As for the driver of the mosfet are you refering to the hot side driver IC? (DAP049 or DDA001AG)

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gjackson View Post

Yes you're right, same with these PSU's, they too use a comparator IC (IC132 OAR6YA in the schematic). I haven't suspected anything there due to the fact that the 12v output voltage is pretty much spot on, apart from the noise. I'll try swapping that too, worth a try. As for the driver of the mosfet are you refering to the hot side driver IC? (DAP049 or DDA001AG)

Thank you.
                    sorry, i though it was a flyback psu but since there is a hot side driver it is probably a half bridge PSU. most part of the defects with half bridges PSU's that i saw were with voltage regulators in the secondary, worth a try cheking them. since the PSU works properly until there is a load and it is a halfbridge PSU i wouldn't be worried about the hot side driver.

Comment

Replaced the IC and opto, no change unfortunately

Comment

I am not sure what to think about this. I don't think there is a broken chip or anything like that, since the PSU is working fine idling by itself. It just doesn't want to work hard and it seems some voltages are fluctuating and noise appearing. Given the average age of a PS4 slim, the symptoms look to me either capacitor related or dry solder joints in the primary. That explains somewhat the wobbly PFC. Resolder everthing that get's hot in the primary. All the mosfets, transisors and diodes you can find in the primary, doesn't matter on a heat sink or not.

Comment

Good call, to be fair I do sometimes hear a 50hz rattle with the coilwhine, so could be some cracked joint on the hot side

Comment

Another dead end unfortunately, Re-flowed basically every through-hole and still no luck. I'm starting to think maybe the large PFC inductor or 12v Flyback is somehow damaged? Quite rare but I've exhausted all other options

Comment

maybe going back to the start of everything would be good to redo all the steps that you did. start looking where the problem started, PFC. follow the trails of the feedback resistors that you replaced and see if something that they're connected to have some problem

Comment

I agree…
                                start with what you know is wrong. As long as the PFC isn't stable, something has to be wrong by either consuming power where it shouldn't or something with the feedback.
                                Last edited by CapLeaker; 01-16-2024, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Yeah I suspect there's something I missed on the feedback line, maybe something else got fried alongside that resistor, I'll go over it again. But at this point I'm convinced that the PFC is the issue. Here's some snippets I took from my scope on the 12v line. The one with the recurring spikes at 50hz is while I was simply probing the PFC IC feedback pin with one probe of the DMM, the other one is while It's running alone. Possibly some capacitance issues from the fact that simply touching it effects it. Strange that the spikes occur at 50Hz too...

Comment

Found nothing wrong with the feedback circuit, all caps and resistors check out too.

Comment

maybe a cap is poor in the ripple handling,
                                      if you scope the rails and increase the current does the smoothing start to fail?

Comment

Working...
                                      X