Fsp350-60hlc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fsp350-60hlc

I need some help for fixing the above mentioned psu. It blew up...

The biggest problem is an smd resistor that's between the primary cap's + lead and a dm311. The resistor got fried the ac arced to the chasis and it also to the Dm311 power switch that has popped open. The primary cap was Capxcon 180uF, 400V (buldged, measured capacitance is someting like 8pF). The moment the psu blew the breakers went off so no harm was done anywhere else. The psu was running 24h/day for like 3 years straight.

I can replace the cap and pwm-fet combo but I have no idea what value this small resistor was. It's marked R11 on the pcb. If someone has seen this psu from the solder side and can help me identify the resistor that would be great.

Thanks!

Re: Fsp350-60hlc

Can you post some close in photos please.
    That area may be similar to other FSP models.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

That is the startup resistor for the DM311 chip and in most psu the value is 1 meg. The problem is that the voltage rating for those resistors is typically about 200 volts. Since that primary capacitor is bulging, it was probably putting lots of extra volts on across that resistor. Also, as your APFC circuit kicks in, the voltage on that primary capacitor goes up to about 400 volts. A better approach would be to put three 330k resistors in series.

To fix it, be sure to clean the carbon from the pc board using alcohol. Tape a small piece of plastic to the metal case under the area that failed for added insulation. If you are adventurous, you can use a small #60 drill bit and drill a hole in each of the circuit pads where the damaged resistor is located (after removing the bad resistor). Then mount a 1 meg resistor on top of the board, or even better, make a series string of three 330k resistors and mount the two ends of the combination in the two holes you drilled. Just make sure nothing on the top side of the pc board is in the way!

Look for any arc damage on the APFC coil. If it has been weakened or shorted, it will short out the voltage across the main capacitor and blow out the APFC FET.
      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Lets see. I removed the resistor, it was a black mess with no resistance or anything. Changed the primary cap to a Samwa 220uF 450V. Cleaned the pcb and case and added foil. PFC coil seems healthy.
        Made some pics. I'll get a new dm311 on monday and add the resistor too. Hope it will work out. Thanks all!
        Attached Files

Comment

are you sure the ic is DM311? not DMO270 / 265?
          DM311 have 7 pin soldered, 1 pin NC
          DMO270 have 8 pin soldered.
          looks like the ic completely fried... :p

there is no R11 in you pic.
          the one you marked with red rectangle is R44.
          R44 is fusing resistor. the value is equal to R42.
          some model come with 2 ohms.
          the higher efficient model come with 0 (zero) ohms

if R44 blows, something at standby circuit is short.
          you should check Z42 after remove the fried IC first.

also check R42, Z41, D41 and secondary rectifier at 5vsb
          Last edited by ipo3nk; 08-20-2011, 04:38 PM.

Comment

You're right about the resistor it's R44 on the pcb. Luckily I got the top of the ic, it reads dm311.
            Diodes and zeners are good as well as +5V's standby diode.

Also secondary is full with 8x20mm Capxon KFs. Took out a 2200uf 6.3V cap, it was 2368uF on the meter, esr was 0.12 ohms. I have no idea what impedance is good for this psu...

I really don't want to hassle with the repair, just to damage the psu more
            Attached Files
            Last edited by pdavid; 08-21-2011, 03:35 AM.

Comment

That last picture shows us a lot! I was wrong......the resistor R4A is the 1 meg startup resistor (marked value 105). R44 is the fuse resistor. IPO is correct, and right on top of the problem.
              Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Thanks! I really don't want to see some fireworks by letting high voltage into that ic

Comment

You certainly don't want your power supply to look like what happened to this Fortron FSP250-60HEN!
                  Attached Files

Comment

A PSU with finless plate heat sinks + me = sledge hammer time.

And no, new corsairs are no exception.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                      You certainly don't want your power supply to look like what happened to this Fortron FSP250-60HEN!
                      Looks very enviromental friendly to me!

I'll get a DM311A today , instead of the DM311. According to the datasheet it consumes 0.1 W more then the dm311. And yeah, I'm going to get this one cuz it's cheaper

Comment

I'm going to check all the diode, zener and resistor one last time before I put it all togehter, so let's get things clear. R44 needs to be 1M ohm, right?

Comment

There is something I haven't noticed before! A fried resistor under a blob of glue between the pfc coil and blue x-cap.

R10 ( brown-green-grey-red-green 15K? )

Everythign else measures good.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
                            I'm going to check all the diode, zener and resistor one last time before I put it all togehter, so let's get things clear. R44 needs to be 1M ohm, right?
                            NO, NO, NO........R4A is the one meg startup resistor. Look at the number marked on it. Number is 105 which means one meg. That is the startup resistor. R44 is a fuse resistor. According to IP in earlier post marking is R42 or 0.42 ohms, could even be a two ohm resistor marked 2R0. IF you put in a one meg resistor ....... it is not going to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
                              There is something I haven't noticed before! A fried resistor under a blob of glue between the pfc coil and blue x-cap.

R10 ( brown-green-grey-red-green 15K? )

Everythign else measures good.
                              That looks more like the APFC current sensing and limiting resistor. Value would be 0.15 ohms. Measure it with ohmmeter. If zero, it is probably OK. If fried it will measure open.

Colors are brown-green-silver-red-green. The brown-green-silver is the value meaning 0.15 ohms. The red is for 2 per cent tolerance. The green is for type of resistor, probably metal film.

If the resistor is blown, you might have shorted APFC transistors, and maybe a shorted or arcing APFC coil.
                              Last edited by everell; 08-27-2011, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                                NO, NO, NO........R4A is the one meg startup resistor. Look at the number marked on it. Number is 105 which means one meg. That is the startup resistor. R44 is a fuse resistor. According to IP in earlier post marking is R42 or 0.42 ohms, could even be a two ohm resistor marked 2R0. IF you put in a one meg resistor ....... it is not going to do anything.
                                Got it! R42 measures 2 ohms. I was a bit clumsy for mixing things up. R44 is 2 ohms then.

The resistor is open. First I though it's something like several Megaohms. I'ts dead.
                                APFC transistor is a 9n50c mosfet. Diode test shows shortage between drain to gate...

I'm starting to give upon this psu. Practically, repair haven't costed anything yet, but I have doubts now about it's integrity.

Comment

Its just another Fortron....not that bad of a power supply. It is a great one to learn on.

Where are you located?

Comment

I've had Forton psus before. Never had any trouble with them, I always recommend it to people. When we are throwing out junk at work I usually get some of the less crappy ones and try to revive them.
                                    I'm from Hungary btw

Comment

I have several brand new NDP603AL mosfets. Can I use one to replace the shorted 9N50C?

Comment

Nope... I need a 500V mosfet

Comment

Working...
                                        X