Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD3217B12 compatibility

Hi all, have been lurking here for quite some time, and now my first post

People who have experience replacing CD3217B12 chips (on macbooks), I have a few questions for you.

As far as I understand, the CD3217B12 exists in more than one type and the different types are not cross-compatible. Is that correct? How many types are there in fact that you know of and which motherboards is each type compatible with? Do they look visually the same, or is there some difference in marking?

What should I look at when buying these chips online, for example on aliexpress or eBay, to verify compatibility? There is a huge range in prices, few vendors list compatibility, and even then it's unclear whether they actually know it's compatible or are just copy-pasting from some other source.

For instance, there is one particular seller on eBay that sells chips claiming compatibility for these boards: 820-01949, 820-01987, 820-02016, 820-02020, 820-02100. Is this a complete list of boards that use the same CD3217B12 type and should I assume that all others use a different type?

What is your source for these chips, and how has your experience with buying them online been so far? Have you encountered fakes or DOA chips? Can you recommend a particular source to get them? I am located in Israel so my preference would be a reliable source in Europe or in China, although if no such exist, I would probably buy from the US.

Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Re: CD3217B12 compatibility

Which logic board are you repairing ?

There are some vendors we / you can trust on Aliexpress but not all - based on feedback from this and other forums.

Best if you can remove from the same donor board and reball it and then use on your board. That is a lengthy process. Respectively, if you can find a ready to use component, that will simplify the repair.

For starters, see here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...610001157939_7

https://www.diyfixtool.com/en-ca/pro...42822141313253

Comment

There are definitely a large amount of dead or fake chips when you buy on eBay/Aliexpress. You can read many reports about "new" CD3215/CD3217 not working whereas donors worked.
      As for the CD3217 compatibility issue, it is unclear what the issue is (at least to me, maybe someone knows more about it). Most commonly seen on 820-01700, people have reported that only replacing one chip from a donor (same model number) did not work, or even replacing all chips didn't work and they had to replace the ROMs too.
      However it is hard to tell if it's not because all chips or the ROM from the patients were defective as well.
      Same for people who said that one set of chips from a donor didn't work on a patient, who knows if the donor chips were good in the first place.
      For now the most reliable way would be to have a donor board which you know that at least USB-PD is working, and replace all USB-C controllers and ROMs. For example iCloud locked, or maybe something like dead GPU. Sadly these are still rare and not cheap. It's more common to stumble across 820-01700 with dead SSD ICs, but since working SSD (at least partially) is required to boot T2 and proceed further with USB-PD negotiation you cannot know if the USB-C controllers are working.
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I had a 820-02016 board here with a bad CD3217B12 and I started this thread for it. Customer didn't approve the repair, so this particular board is no longer relevant. However looks like more boards with these chips will be coming in, so I would like to get some stock in advance. Trying to figure out the compatibility situation with them so I have a better idea what to order. Have you personally had some experience replacing these chips with new ones you bought online? If so, it would be good to know exact boards you successfully replaced them on, and boards that the repair did not succeed.

Buying donor boards with unknown faults with the current prices doesn't make much economical sense to me, so if new chips are not a good solution then I guess I just don't have an economical way to fix these boards.

P.s. thank you Piernov for your work on Openboardview!
        Last edited by 2wtn; 12-15-2022, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Hello, I have the same issue. I have a board 820-01700 with CD3217B12 I order a new one and now the board is only working with battery and the Type C charger (original) is stuck at 5v ~ 0.25Amps and when the machine boots with battery is swapping to 20v 0amps.

I also replace the cd3217b12 from a donor board and I have the same issue.

Anyone knows if with DFU restore will fix the problem and somehow re-register the cd3217 to ROMs or T2 chip.

Is very annoying that you can't fix this board with a NEW part !

Comment

Start with measuring the voltage to ground of each LDO rail on each ACE controller (cd321x).

Post each measurement.

Comment

My problem is the compatibility of CD3217B12 if it was able to put back the original the problem is solved but the original is defective.

Comment

paul daniel is look for someone who can get a four port usbc board to work with only two ports…preferably the side that you can do dfu on….any ideas?

Comment

can someone give me some input on CD3217B12 - 02P0EKS. which i can replace it with for 820-01700-A

thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X