Asus F555UB i5-6200U - HDD not detected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus F555UB i5-6200U - HDD not detected

Hello everyone, I've got one F555UB for a repair, where no disk is going to be detected, even within the BIOS. DVD-RW / ODD is detected correctly. What I tried so far:

- tried different HDDs (160 GB, 250 GB, 1 TB, SSD), only the oldest 160 GB spin-up, probably didn't wait for some SATA start command
    - tried the same with ODD disconnected - no difference
    - did a multimeter continuity test to check if there is connection between SATA connector and DC blocking caps (4x 10 nF) and other side of caps to a connector of the small board, all OK
    - measured all 4 blocking caps, all ~9.7 nF

I failed to downgrade/reapply BIOS package, most probably due to WIN2GO OS running from USB device, but can try from a DOS/EFI prompt as well. I've checked the boardview and the connector of a HDD board (motherboard side) is connected directly to a CPU/SoC. The only part which could eventually be related is a pull-up resistor on a SATA0_DEVSLP, but no idea if this is really used in general.

To check: BIOS downgrade/reapply, and maybe check for a short between SATA data lines and ground (SoC SATA PHY port dead).

Any suggestions what else to check? Any idea what could lead to a such strange malfunction?

Thanks for any comments.
    Attached Files

Re: Asus F555UB i5-6200U - HDD not detected

Hi. OMG - working on the same Asus logic board (X555YA) that came in for a no sound card problem this afternoon.

After some driver / software upgrades still no luck. Audio through HDMI worked fine.

In the end - tore apart the unit and it looks the same as your posted pix.

Review the rear daughter board to the LEFT of the hard drive. Be sure it is seated properly and there are no bent pins. The very delicate blade connector is linking the SATA HD and the audio / headphone connectors.

For our case, we fluxed and reflowed the CX20752-21Z Audio IC. This fixed the problem. We have a speaker and all is well. Client is about to pick this up in a few minutes.

Be sure to inspect the mating connector to the SATA drive & also to the main Asus logic board. NO BENT PINS ?
    Attached Files

Comment

mon2: thanks, so I did a better check and there was one broken contact - luckily it's a GND, but no contact to neighbor pin (exactly the SATA one!). Question is how long is broken, and if this could make a short between SATA data lane and GND - and if this could lead to a broken functionality of SATA port. After contact removal, still not working.

Anyhow, I can do a workaround, using the caddy adapter for SSD in a DVD slot, because who needs optical drive these days. But fixing the dedicated one is a preferred way.
      Attached Files

Comment

You are getting closer to a fix.

Count the number of pins on each side.

Share your pix with this vendor found on AliExpress. There may be other vendors as well. Suggest to order a few pairs of the same.

US $4.60 6%OFF | Hard disk interface for ASUS X555 A555L K555L Y583L X555LJ X555LP X555LD F555L laptop HDD port motherboard connector
        https://a.aliexpress.com/_mO4Id7s

US $1.82 23%OFF | 1-10pcs A B type Motherboard Hard Drive Interface for ASUS K555L A555L x555L W519L R556L LD LP LI Y583L HDD Connectors
        https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0l89mO

You will have to desolder and solder very carefully. Watch the videos from Northridge fix. Alex did a video on replacement of such connectors.

Lots of flux but a mistake will cause the pcb pad to be removed. Can be fixed with patience.
        Last edited by mon2; 11-11-2021, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks mon2, maybe I'll start with soldering thin wires to an appropriate pads on a motherboard and some spare SATA connector on other side of wires. That should allow me to check if the SATA interface is working.

Comment

Agreed.

On AliExpress they also sell the full HDD board with this connector. However then you need to check which audio chip is on the daughter board.

Is it Realtek or Conexant audio codec IC?

These boards are about $20-$30 usd in China.

This could then reduce some of your labor but you still need to replace the Asus logic board side connector that mates to this board.

Comment

Tried to solder wires, but mission impossible. Looks like I have to order pair of connectors from Ali. Another long term project... Thanks for the hint anyhow.

Comment

Connectors ordered

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                  Agreed.

On AliExpress they also sell the full HDD board with this connector. However then you need to check which audio chip is on the daughter board.

Is it Realtek or Conexant audio codec IC?

These boards are about $20-$30 usd in China.

This could then reduce some of your labor but you still need to replace the Asus logic board side connector that mates to this board.
                  BTW, what's getting broken on these? Oxidation? Cold joint? Weak connect?

Comment

In our case, client from out of town brought in the unit with missing audio. We updated the bios and attempted numerous software fixes. None would restore the laptop speaker and audio features. The audio codec was not being detected.

We then opened up the unit to locate the audio IC. This IC resides on a daughter card that mates with the main board using fine pitch connectors. In addition, the same board has flex cables travelling over the mechanical HDD.

We removed the audio / sata controller board. Reseated the flex cables, reflowed the audio controller with flux and heat, firmly reseated the interconnect to the main logic board.

After the above, audio was restored to normal.

Comment

that boars died mostly. have maybe tree dead of them

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
                        that boars died mostly. have maybe tree dead of them
                        There isn't too much to die there, except the audio chip (why it should die?). In my case (no SATA detected), there's 5V on a SATA connector, 4 blocking caps are ok, traces between connector and caps are ok as well. Must be the connector pair suggested previously.

Just wondering why they chosen such stupid board setup, instead of a single board... I can guess - price of a board. They are probably billed by square of longest x & y dimensions, thus adding such extra board with connectors can be cheaper. Who cares how reliable it is...

Comment

i know , but i cannot determine what is wrong and with other board it works

Comment

Hi all, see the de-soldered connector from a motherboard side, please ignore melted plastic body, it's going to be replaced, though. This is really a weak connector...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, they are wimpy. Check out the videos on youtube from Alex (NorthRidge Fix) and others on how they desolder / solder similar blade connectors.

Personally did the same for a defective iMAC LVDS connector from a DIY client who butchered the pins during a hard drive upgrade. Short story, we made it worse with the hot air tool on the plastic body. Looked like a Chucky Doll after we were done with it.

Then we brought in the IPEX brand replacement. What a night and day difference on the construction. So much more rigid than the one on the Apple logic board. I think in hindsight, suggest to use lots of flux with a blade soldering iron tip and gently lift the connector as you go. The pads must be liquid before you lift. The hot air just melts the wrong parts of the connector.

Comment

So, after long waiting, connectors have arrived, so I've replaced one on a motherboard. Voila, HDD detected, audio detected and working. Thanks for suggestions.

Hot air from bottom side + micro soldering tip from top side to finish it.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Well done!! The soldering job looks great. Thanks for updating this thread for future readers.

On a similar issue. Working with a new tool for FPGA development. The tool worked for maybe 15 seconds after first power on. Wasted a week on debugging the fault. The factory who supplied the kit ran out of ideas. We then ordered another fresh kit that worked everytime. Next, started to swap out the passive connectors we suspected. The fault...(drumroll)...was the $12 usd Samtec high density connector. Now the original kit is repaired. $1k lesson + week or so if my time to debug.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post

For our case, we fluxed and reflowed the CX20752-21Z Audio IC. This fixed the problem. We have a speaker and all is well. Client is about to pick this up in a few minutes.
                                    Hi i have a F555D with the same audio IC, i ordered 2 on Aliexpress for the audio crackling/disappearing but i've no audio also replacing these
                                    i also reworked the 2 connectors but nothing, can be something else?

is this audio IC just converting digital signals from the CPU to analog one?

thank you in advance

Comment

This chip does both, adc and dac.

Do you see a speaker graphic in window?

Comment

in device manager there are the 2 high definition controllers, and on multimedia device only the high definition for the Intel HDMI audio output... looking at hidden devices there is the 2nd audio device grayed out... as not present.

the starnge thing is that when the laptop come here the audio was disappearing and reappearing.. after a reflow of the audio IC nothing changed.. after a total replace of the IC no more audio... tried just now with an used one taken from a spare board... but nothing
                                        i also checked traces and resistors near the IC...i replaced again pins of the 2 connectors but nothing changes... disk drive works.. usb works... card reader works... just the the audio is not working anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                        X