Find a part on my Dell LA-H331P motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find a part on my Dell LA-H331P motherboard

A part has melted on my "DELL XPS 15 7590 Laptop motherboard CN-04KR2M 4KR2M LA-H331P with SRFD0 I9-9980HK GTX1650" mainboard, but unfortunately I don't know what kind of part it is. Do any of you know what kind of component this is? And what is / was it responsible for?

I would like to buy such a part new and replace it.
    Marked in red in the picture.

Many thanks for the support.

Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 10-10-2021, 02:00 PM. Reason: LA-H331P

Re: Find a part on my Dell motherboard

Looks to be an inductor (coil) at location PL601. Likely used for the local switching power supply. Will need more close ups of the chips to read the markings to nite the possible values for this component.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      Looks to be an inductor (coil) at location PL601. Likely used for the local switching power supply. Will need more close ups of the chips to read the markings to nite the possible values for this component.
      Hi man2,

of what exactly should I still take close shots?

Comment

Take close pix of the parts near this damaged parts. So we can inspect the chip markings, etc to identify the switching regulator. Then we can compare to a reference schematic for this regulator to determine the missing coil value.

Comment

check for short on both sides. inductor dont burn without reason

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
            Take close pix of the parts near this damaged parts. So we can inspect the chip markings, etc to identify the switching regulator. Then we can compare to a reference schematic for this regulator to determine the missing coil value.
            Here are more pictures.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
              check for short on both sides. inductor dont burn without reason
              A screw fell in and broke the part. Now I'm trying to find out which part it is, but unfortunately nobody has been able to help me so far.

Comment

It could be a ferrite bead. The IC marked J7 is a richtek RT8207MZQW,supplies the ram voltage.In the LA-E331P schematic the bead part name is HCB2012KF-121T50
                Check the resistance to ground on pin 1 and 2

Attached Files
                Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-29-2021, 03:04 PM.
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                  It could be a ferrite bead. The IC marked J7 is a richtek RT8207MZQW,supplies the ram voltage.In the LA-E331P schematic the bead part name is HCB2012KF-121T50
                  Check the resistance to ground on pin 1 and 2

Hi SMDFlea, thank you for your support.

Did I understand correctly that the HCB2012KF-121T50 can be the part you are looking for?

I'm not as experienced as you are when it comes to electronics, can you repeat that for beginners.

Comment

The part is a coil (aka inductor) and is acting like a filter. Or you can consider as an electronic resistor that presents resistance at certain frequencies to clean up (filter) noise on the power rail and no / little resistance otherwise. In this case the value of 121 = 120 ohms.

Check if the part is indeed missing which it appears to be. Check with a meter in resistance mode, red lead to one side of this part and black lead to ground.

What is the resistance?

Repeat with the other side of the part.

Technically the part is not required and is used to reduce interference from the logic board to pass emissions testing. That is, when your laptop is on, it should not drown your over the air radio or tv stations.

After your meter tests, you can probably short the pads for this part for testing but let us wait for your resistance readings first. With this ferrite bead missing, the PU600 part is not being powered.

Comment

I found a schematic for a Dell XPS 15 9550 LA-C361P and it has the same components as the schematic in post #8.
                      HCB2012KF-121T50_0805 Ferrite bead
                      Last edited by R_J; 05-29-2021, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X