Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Ok so after cleaning up the solder. With some help from my cousin I finally managed to re-solder the caps on.

After the process the laptop turns on with the ac adapter plugged in, but the display does not turn on. A light on the laptop tells that the laptop is on and I also confirmed it by hearing the fan spin.
    I will post the pictures.

The first picture are all the lights.
    The second picture is the VGA that I used to plug into an external moniter to see if it would work. It did not.
    The third picture is the iron I used.
    The fourth picture is the re-soldered caps.

So. What went wrong? Any feed back would help.
    Attached Files

Comment

outer strips are positive terminals, one solder overlapped the other. You should redo it first. The one with huge led ball.

Comment

Looks like two resistors missing at the top left of pic#4? Is this a GM945 board?
        Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Ok thanks. I'll try to get that redone.

As far as I know there were never any resistors in the nec/tokin area.

Comment

Take a multimeter and test the resistance between the positive and negative strips. If it reads only a few ohms, you have shorted somewhere.

Also, the bottom blob of solder on the negative terminals covers part of the positive side of the PCB. There shouldn't be any conductive material in that area but if the surface has been scratched, eg by the soldering iron, that may also cause a short.

What capacitors did you use?

Comment

Hello, I have a L300 but with no leds and no power. Fuses are ok. You think it is the NEC/TOKIN cap under proccessor or maybe something else??

Comment

Doubtful, though it may be worth checking the + and - terminals of the Tokin to see if it's shorted out.

But chances are you have a fault on DCIN/DCBATOUT.

If you can't find the fault, it may be easier to just buy another, non-POSTing board off ebay and replace the Tokin cap.
                Last edited by spleenharvester; 03-22-2014, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrios View Post
                  Hello, I have a L300 but with no leds and no power. Fuses are ok. You think it is the NEC/TOKIN cap under proccessor or maybe something else??
                  i saw one like yours! bios
                  Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
                    Doubtful, though it may be worth checking the + and - terminals of the Tokin to see if it's shorted out.

But chances are you have a fault on DCIN/DCBATOUT.

If you can't find the fault, it may be easier to just buy another, non-POSTing board off ebay and replace the Tokin cap.
                    Yeah you are right. Capacitor is not shorted...

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                    i saw one like yours! bios
                    Will check voltage on bios chip as well as always voltages!
                    Thanks guys!

Comment

BIOS chip has no voltage with adpter on. I think there should be an always 3.3V ther, correct? Also power button has no voltage.

Comment

Yes. You should check your charger and 5v & 3.3v regulator.
                        Last edited by atsio; 03-23-2014, 05:26 AM.

Comment

I have VREG3 and VREG5, 3.3V and 5V correct. But I don't have +3VLA, only +5VLA. Is +3VLA an always voltage? Maybe I will start a new thread!

Comment

Which version of the l300 do you have? Give board model.

Comment

I have a 6050A2264901-MB-A02 motherboard.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Give voltage on all pins of U511

Comment

Originally posted by Kkarlov View Post
                                  Hi,

First of all I'll thank all for all the info that I found here.

I have a A300-276 with the NEC Tokin 0E907 (PFAF250E907MCBTE) with the same problem of not booting with AC Adapter.

I searched the info about the NEC 0E907 and found in NEC datasheet this specs:

Rated Voltage: 2,5V / Capacitance: 900uF / DC Leakage Current: 250 u A / ESR (m Ω) at 100kHz : 1.5

Now my doubt is what is the best combination of Capacitors?

Are Tantalum Capacitators better than Aluminum Capacitators?

If the actual uF is 900 is it best to maintain at the 900 or should I go higher to 1200?

The ESR on NEC datasheet says 1.5 - is this 1,5 ( one and a half) mOhm ? I find only with 6 mOhm...

I'm planning in remove the T3400 CPU and putting a T8300 that heats a bit more and consumes a bit more too.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't know much about electronic and to repair the A300 would take me about 130 Dollars with shippings - I'll try do it myself.

Regards to everyone.
                                  Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
                                  I saw one report that the 900uF cap actually measured in at 1200 and the 1200uF cap measured in at 1500uF. But that was only one report, meter could have been uncalibrated or similar.

For 0E907 I used 3x330uF on several boards and all still work perfectly. Probably wouldn't hurt to go 4x330uF though.

Also, you need to take into account that ESR is calculated using the parallel resistance equation (1/Rtotal) = (1/R1) + (1/R2) + (1/R3) etc etc. If four caps are used with an ESR of 6mOhm the total ESR is 1.5mOhm.
                                  Hi,

Just came to thanks for the help of spleenharvester and give feedback on the repair after a few moths.

I did as sugested and went for the 4x300uf thinking on the CPU upgrade.

In the first month I kept using it with the original CPU and everything went fine, not a problem or loss of functionality (suspend/hibernate either).

I did the upgrade from the T3400 to T8300 about a month later and not a problem either untill now. With the T8300 runs way better and faster, it also runs much cooler then it did with the T3400:

Laptop is used every day and never less than 1 hour.

Thanks to everyone.

Comment

Repaired Toshiba L305 with success . NEC / TOKIN 0E907.

Capacitors are 330. Extracted from a damaged motherboard HP-DV6000.

Here I share pictures of the steps performed:
                                    Attached Files

Comment

This step must be done very carefully, I drew a line with the tip of the screwdriver to weaken the metal foil and then I could break and lift. I used a common 30W soldering iron.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

hey oxlahun, are those caps 330 d? can't see much from the image. its a 330uf 2v caps right?

Comment

Originally posted by Napalm View Post
                                          Could I try them anyway? will it do any harm?
                                          Most black tantalums on laptop boards are from low esr type. But best if you can measure the capacitance if you intend to try from scrap board.

Just a note, recently i had purchased 500pcs 330uf low esr, when i receive my goods i measure the capacitance its only 240+uf although its mark 330. Many types of lousy sellers out there just be careful. Lucky i get a refund when i snap a photo of the reading measure with atlas esr meter. Initially the seller denied.
                                          Mainly repair laptops, sometimes LCD/LED monitors. Also accepts changing/reballing/reflow BGA job request.

Comment

Working...
                                          X