Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Check this link out. Are these the right size so they will line up right on the solder pads?

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...67-2R5TPE330M7

Comment

Originally posted by HairyManBack View Post
      Check this link out. Are these the right size so they will line up right on the solder pads?

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...67-2R5TPE330M7

that's the right one, make sure its 330uf 2.5v

Comment

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic - the information was invaluable for repairing our Toshiba Satellite A200 PSAF6A-02H01N Notebook purchased Aug-2007.

For ease of soldering with the 3.2mm wide tip I was using in the soldering station, I decided to mount these 4 capacitors in a different layout to what is shown in this topic (see attached images).

For anyone interested in using this layout, & so that I could contribute something to this topic, I have included some information below (apologies to all the experienced PCB repairers for all the obvious procedure comments):

I replaced the NEC/TOKIN 0E128 capacitor with four 330uF 2.5V Panasonic SX series EEFSX0E331XE capacitors purchased from Element14 (formally Farnell) in Australia (Element14 is pretty much world wide).
        http://au.element14.com/panasonic/ee...t=EEFSX0E331XE

NEC/TOKIN 0E128 details: 1200uF +/-20%, 2.5V, 105ºC, 1000hrs, 0.0015 or 0.002 ohms ESR depending if the part number ends in ‘MNSTE' or ‘MTE', dimensions in mm 16.7 x 12.1 x 2.5.
        Panasonic EEFSX0E331XE details: SMD polymer aluminium electrolytic, 330uF +/-20%, 2.5V, 105ºC, 1000hrs, 3500mA ripple, 0.009 ohms ESR, dimensions in mm 7.3 x 4.3 x 2.1 (max).

Using this layout, the only extra effort required was the removal of most of the green finish on the PCB from between the two -ve solder pads to allow soldering of the capacitor's -ve ends to the PCB. This was achieved with a curved cutting edge blade hobby knife & a sharp flat blade jeweller's screwdriver.
        Once completed, this area was tinned & any excess solder removed with a solder wick (with only 3mm between the PCB copper & the raised section of the aluminium cover/heatsink I wanted to give as much clearance to the aluminium as possible).
        The two right hand pair of capacitors (closest together) were soldered in place first.
        My finished solder connections aren't very neat but I was more interested in getting the capacitors soldered in place as quickly as possible to prevent any damage to the capacitors (the soldering station temperature was pre-adjusted by soldering onto the –ve copper pad).

Using a digital multimeter, ~5.5 ohms was measured between the +ve & -ve solder pads with the NEC/TOKIN 0E128 capacitor removed & prior to fitting the replacement caps (CPU still fitted).
        4.0 ohms was measured between the +ve & -ve solder pads with the new caps fitted (CPU still fitted). In both instances it took a few seconds to reach the above figures.
        Attached Files

Comment

In addition to the NEC/TOKIN 0E128 capacitor repair in my above post, I also decided to cut open the Toshiba PA3290E-3AC3 AC/DC adaptor for this notebook (Toshiba Satellite A200) to see if I could replace any aging electrolytic caps that could be causing any possible excess ripple.

Without major surgery, the only electrolytics I could get to were two Rubycon ZLH series, 1500uF, 25V, 105ºC, 10000hrs, 2480mA ripple, 0.017 ohms ESR, 20.0 x 12.5 OD electrolytics.
          I replaced these with two 1500uF, 25V, 105ºC, 10000hrs, 2600mA ripple, 0.018 ohms ESR, 20.0 x 12.5 OD Panasonic FR series EEUFR1E152 electrolytics purchased from Element14 in Australia.
          http://au.element14.com/panasonic/ee...0uf/dp/1800655
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by subXT View Post
            Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic - the information was invaluable for repairing our Toshiba Satellite A200 PSAF6A-02H01N Notebook purchased Aug-2007.

For ease of soldering with the 3.2mm wide tip I was using in the soldering station, I decided to mount these 4 capacitors in a different layout to what is shown in this topic (see attached images).

For anyone interested in using this layout, & so that I could contribute something to this topic, I have included some information below (apologies to all the experienced PCB repairers for all the obvious procedure comments):

I replaced the NEC/TOKIN 0E128 capacitor with four 330uF 2.5V Panasonic SX series EEFSX0E331XE capacitors purchased from Element14 (formally Farnell) in Australia (Element14 is pretty much world wide).
            http://au.element14.com/panasonic/ee...t=EEFSX0E331XE

NEC/TOKIN 0E128 details: 1200uF +/-20%, 2.5V, 105ºC, 1000hrs, 0.0015 or 0.002 ohms ESR depending if the part number ends in ‘MNSTE' or ‘MTE', dimensions in mm 16.7 x 12.1 x 2.5.
            Panasonic EEFSX0E331XE details: SMD polymer aluminium electrolytic, 330uF +/-20%, 2.5V, 105ºC, 1000hrs, 3500mA ripple, 0.009 ohms ESR, dimensions in mm 7.3 x 4.3 x 2.1 (max).

Using this layout, the only extra effort required was the removal of most of the green finish on the PCB from between the two -ve solder pads to allow soldering of the capacitor's -ve ends to the PCB. This was achieved with a curved cutting edge blade hobby knife & a sharp flat blade jeweller's screwdriver.
            Once completed, this area was tinned & any excess solder removed with a solder wick (with only 3mm between the PCB copper & the raised section of the aluminium cover/heatsink I wanted to give as much clearance to the aluminium as possible).
            The two right hand pair of capacitors (closest together) were soldered in place first.
            My finished solder connections aren't very neat but I was more interested in getting the capacitors soldered in place as quickly as possible to prevent any damage to the capacitors (the soldering station temperature was pre-adjusted by soldering onto the –ve copper pad).

Using a digital multimeter, ~5.5 ohms was measured between the +ve & -ve solder pads with the NEC/TOKIN 0E128 capacitor removed & prior to fitting the replacement caps (CPU still fitted).
            4.0 ohms was measured between the +ve & -ve solder pads with the new caps fitted (CPU still fitted). In both instances it took a few seconds to reach the above figures.
            Sir can i ask did you take a test if the board is shorted what i mean the + and - of the nec tokin copper trace are they really connected because mine is connected even the processor is remove the + and - are connected using a digital tester

Comment

Hello vash262003.
              I only took measurements with the CPU still in circuit & the battery pack removed. As mentioned in my earlier post I measured ~5.5 ohms between the +ve & -ve solder pads after the NEC/TOKIN 0E128 capacitor was removed, & measured 4.0 ohms between the +ve & -ve solder pads after the new caps were fitted. In both instances the readings were initially a lot lower than these figures but increased & stabilised after a few seconds at the above figures (I got the impression that something somewhere in the circuit was being charged).

The +ve & -ve pads shouldn't be shorted together. There isn't much clearance between the +ve & -ve copper on this part of the PCB, so it would be very easy to accidently bridge these with solder or with a piece of copper track cut with a hobby knife. I used a jeweller's loop (eye glass) to examine this both before & after fitting the new caps.

On page 19, rievax_60 posted the following information about the resistance between the +ve & -ve pads, both with & without the CPU.
              Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
              I have just tested an old A200 main board. I read 6Ω with the CPU still fitted and about 900Ω with the CPU removed.

Comment

Originally posted by freeman300 View Post
                Could not get the pics right in the past post so:

I have the EXACT same problem. Did you get a solution for your ISKAA LA3481P REv 2A?
                This is the model that NOT have the NEC TOKIN.I got 15 small and one even smaller.

I have a PSAE4E-039018N5

same problem, can anyone help? witch caps we need to replace in this case?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by subXT View Post
                  Hello vash262003.
                  I only took measurements with the CPU still in circuit & the battery pack removed. As mentioned in my earlier post I measured ~5.5 ohms between the +ve & -ve solder pads after the NEC/TOKIN 0E128 capacitor was removed, & measured 4.0 ohms between the +ve & -ve solder pads after the new caps were fitted. In both instances the readings were initially a lot lower than these figures but increased & stabilised after a few seconds at the above figures (I got the impression that something somewhere in the circuit was being charged).

The +ve & -ve pads shouldn’t be shorted together. There isn’t much clearance between the +ve & -ve copper on this part of the PCB, so it would be very easy to accidently bridge these with solder or with a piece of copper track cut with a hobby knife. I used a jeweller’s loop (eye glass) to examine this both before & after fitting the new caps.

On page 19, rievax_60 posted the following information about the resistance between the +ve & -ve pads, both with & without the CPU.

thank you for the response
                  what capacitor should i replace on NEC/TOKIN 0E12?? i was planning to buy on RS online

Comment

somebody uses 4 caps instead of one NEC/TOKIN http://henrick-detudoepouco.blogspot...oe907-por.html

Comment

Originally posted by ablacon64 View Post
                      Unfortunately, I made this fix some time ago, the notebook is with the client. But I made a (terrible) drawing. Hope it helps.
                      I just tried it 4 330uf just as it is in the diagram on my a300 satellite and it work perfectly , thank again

Comment

Originally posted by vash262003 View Post
                        thank you for the response
                        what capacitor should i replace on NEC/TOKIN 0E12?? i was planning to buy on RS online
                        Hi vash262003. If I was replacing the NEC/TOKIN 0E128 capacitor on another Toshiba A200, I would still use the same Panasonic 4 x 330uF capacitors as per my earlier post, although I would have been happier if these had lower ESR & longer life specs.

RS Components should have these or a recognised good brand with the same or better specs, but if they don't, there are other 4 x 330uF capacitor suggestions for replacing the 0E128 throughout this topic.

If you can't source something suitable from RS Components, I found Element14 quite good. My order had to come from Element14 (Farnell) in the UK & it only took 6 days from when I ordered at Element14 Australia on-line until they arrived on my door step.

Comment

another red point for this thread!
                          my notebook forez on logo loading and every os you try to install will stuck on logo waiting.
                          random shutdowns.
                          the full menu
                          Attached Files
                          Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post

another red point for this thread!
                            my notebook forez on logo loading and every os you try to install will stuck on logo waiting.
                            random shutdowns.
                            the full menu
                            nvm it still locks up
                            but no more random shutdowns and if i take the optical drive out it boots up normaly
                            wierd and wifi doesn`t want to install
                            off dam it
                            Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

What ESR are those caps? You want ideally under 10mOhm (0.010Ohm).
                              Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by 007leo View Post
                                Hey, I live in Ghana and am facing the same problem (since Jan,2011).... am excited about changing the NEC/TOKIN crap but I don't have access to any Tantalum caps so ... could any one suggest some informed IMPROVISATIONS
                                ..........THANKS
                                where in Ghana do u stay?

Comment

what to do if there is no token and having the same symptom like token problem?
                                  very often we face this issue.

Comment

Would just like to thank everyone for their help regarding this issue. My A200 recently started rebooting for no apparent reason and I spent quite a bit of time researching the problem. It looks like the faulty capacitor is the culprit for me because disabling one core has fixed the problem for now. I will continue to read through this thread to determine what replacement parts I will get. I wouldn't say I'm that tech savvy but I do have a soldering iron so I guess I can give it a go.

Comment

HI, I'm a new member to this forum but I have been led here many times searching for solutions to computer problems, with both desktop and laptops. Most I have repaired successfully thanks to this site.
                                      Now I have a Toshiba satellite A300 with the random shutdown issue, I have disassembled and confirmed it has an OE907 cap under the CPU.
                                      I have tried many things including updating bios, restore to factory, format and reload Vista32 SP2, disassembled, cleaned HSF, cleaned and replaced thermal paste.
                                      Still had this random shutdown/reboot issue (when it shuts off sounds like when power button held for 4 sec)
                                      I have about an hour ago booted in safe mode and disabled one of the CPU's, restarted and machine has been on ever since without reboot (was getting about 6 or more reboots an hour). This confirms my suspicion of faulty OE907 right?
                                      Now the advice I need it on the replacement caps.
                                      The OE907 is 900uF so I am looking at 2x 470uF caps, 2.5v, 6mOhms ESR, 20% tolerance, 7.3 x 4.3 x 1.9mm found here at RS NZ http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/...itors/7372832/
                                      So 2 of these caps would give ESR of 3mOhms am I right?
                                      Yeah so I just want someone to confirm that I would be correct to buy 2 of these and put one each side.
                                      Sorry for the long winded post.
                                      Thanks
                                      Steve

Comment

Yes, that is definitely an NEC Tokin problem.

Never used 2x470uF caps myself but I can't see anything wrong with that setup - voltage is fine, capacitance is fine, and it will indeed give you 3mOhm ESR.

All looks fine to me!
                                        Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
                                          Yes, that is definitely an NEC Tokin problem.

Never used 2x470uF caps myself but I can't see anything wrong with that setup - voltage is fine, capacitance is fine, and it will indeed give you 3mOhm ESR.

All looks fine to me!
                                          Thanks for your swift reply, caps have been ordered and job should be completed by end of week. Will take pic of finished product and post results.
                                          Hopefully all goes well!

Comment

Working...
                                          X