I cannot erase the whole bios chip with AsProgrammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot erase the whole bios chip with AsProgrammer

So , I have this W25Q32BVSIG chip.It has the BID0166C.F33 bios.
    I'm trying to erase and to flash again with the F65 version.

But not all data is deleted from the chip.Is there a way to unprotect the chip first ??

Re: I cannot erase the whole bios chip with AsProgrammer

Never mind.It seems that the bios chip is not completely empty.
    There is always a bit of data present

Comment

check if have set proper size of chip. no protect on bioses

Comment

Yes , the size and brand was correct.But to be sure I took a new W25Q32BV.
        This new chip already had some data on it.
        So , I erased the chip - but on some areas there was still some data left.

Anyway I programmed the chip with the new bin and the laptop is working.

But I can not get a picture on a attached monitor via VGA ...

So , the KB can be defective or the graphic chip is not making the connection ??

Comment

did u try to use standard app for programmer CH341A?

Comment

What do you mean with the standard app ?
            In Win10 the CH341A software will not work.so I have to use AsProgrammer.

And yes , I did press the unprotect button before I erase the chip.But I never had a warning that the chip was protected .

Strange ..

I used the serial driver to install the .INF of the CH341A - the PAR driver to install the .INF gives a fail in Win10.
            In Win7 I always used the PAR driver to install .INF - and it always worked very well ..
            Last edited by pecrie; 08-26-2020, 04:28 AM. Reason: adding more info

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...6&postcount=10
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
              Become a Badcaps supporter
              >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
              Thanks to all supporters.​
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

In Win10 i use the CH341A without problem

Comment

Are you saying that you use the CH341A as a standalone in win10 ?
                  So , without AsProgrammer ?

I now use AsProgrammer and then choose CH341A as the hardware (is that not good) ?
                  But I have used the old ver 1.4.x of AsPrgrammer

I didn't know there was a ver 2.0.0a14 - Thanks for letting me know

Will do another test one of these days ...

Comment

i use CH341 with its standard software/can download everywhere/ in win10 without problem for years

Comment

Hi there here is beter program netter tegen Standard and as programmer . Will support more and more stable.

Regards Steve
                      Attached Files

Comment

Stevedb ,
                        Thank you.I will try it ..

Comment

No problem succes
                          Last edited by Stevedb; 08-30-2020, 05:17 AM.

Comment

@Stevedb ,

So I did use Colibri and I notice that the info that was still on the blanked bios chip - with CH341A and AsProgrammer - was the data in the "status registers" .

I deselected the status registers and now I could erase the whole bios chip.
                            So far so good.

Then I programmed the chip with the latest and correct bios firmware for this model laptop.
                            And when comparing the chip with the bios firmware - it says that there are 17 diferences.

And I see that the status registers are again selected - S16 until S23 - with the code 0xFF
                            Not sure what this all means - but it seems to be part of the firmware or not ?

Only AsProgrammr does not show this - I only see that there is still data left on the chip.

Anyone knows what these status registers do or what the function is for this data ?

Comment

Originally posted by pecrie View Post
                              @Stevedb ,

Anyone knows what these status registers do or what the function is for this data ?
                              this is a good question, do you already know the answer ?

br

Comment

Originally posted by pecrie View Post
                                @Stevedb ,

So I did use Colibri and I notice that the info that was still on the blanked bios chip - with CH341A and AsProgrammer - was the data in the "status registers" .

I deselected the status registers and now I could erase the whole bios chip.
                                So far so good.

Then I programmed the chip with the latest and correct bios firmware for this model laptop.
                                And when comparing the chip with the bios firmware - it says that there are 17 diferences.

And I see that the status registers are again selected - S16 until S23 - with the code 0xFF
                                Not sure what this all means - but it seems to be part of the firmware or not ?

Only AsProgrammr does not show this - I only see that there is still data left on the chip.

Have you tried doing it this way? This is what worked for me on a Winbond 25Q64FVSIG out of a ASUS X75VD that I had a lot of hell writing the latest BIOS to.

1. Save actual contents to a BIN file just in case. I know it's probably useless but I do that in case something does not work, even if it wasn't working before.
                                2. From the menus, select Unprotect
                                3. Erase the chip
                                4. Do a blank check just so you can be perfectly sure it's blank. I had a certain chip (Gigadevice 25Q64, out of a Samsung NP300E5C-A02RO) fill the bar up to 16% and then claim it was done erasing - a blank check revealed the chip was in fact not erased correctly.
                                5. Open your file
                                6. Start writing it to the chip
                                7. Wait until it's done, then test for differences.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                  Have you tried doing it this way? This is what worked for me on a Winbond 25Q64FVSIG out of a ASUS X75VD that I had a lot of hell writing the latest BIOS to.

1. Save actual contents to a BIN file just in case. I know it's probably useless but I do that in case something does not work, even if it wasn't working before.
                                  2. From the menus, select Unprotect
                                  3. Erase the chip
                                  4. Do a blank check just so you can be perfectly sure it's blank. I had a certain chip (Gigadevice 25Q64, out of a Samsung NP300E5C-A02RO) fill the bar up to 16% and then claim it was done erasing - a blank check revealed the chip was in fact not erased correctly.
                                  5. Open your file
                                  6. Start writing it to the chip
                                  7. Wait until it's done, then test for differences.

Do you desolder the EEPROMs?

I have seen similar things, whenever it occurs I desolder the chip and then erasing works fully.

Comment

I had to do that on the ASUS X75VD I was working on as the clip wouldn't read jack from the board despite me positioning the clip correctly on the chip so it could make contact. I had to use a SOP8 spring socket that was in the package when I bought the programmer but even then, I had issues getting the Winbond W25Q64FVSIG chip to flash until I used Colibri with the above guide I came up with (which was somewhat copied from win-raid - that was the procedure used for AsProgrammer on the forum - since AsProg failed on me (as well as CH341's own software), Colibri managed to perfectly revive my mobo.
                                    Last edited by Dan81; 01-31-2022, 03:14 AM.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Well , I`m not really sure what caused this , to not work.
                                      Just a bit of explaining.At first I used Win 7 32bit and there didn`t seem to be any problems.
                                      Then , of course , we had to switch to W10.At that point I decided to use the 64bit version.

And that is when I noticed that things did not really work smoothly.The drivers for the CH341A that I had used on Win7 32b , now gave me some trouble on W10 64b.

I downloaded the latest firmware for the CH341A but still not a good work process.I also tried with different programs like Colibri.
                                      The problem I had sometimes , was that the driver would not install.

To make a long story short , I don`t remember if I downloaded another older firmware.Or if I just used firmware that was not the latest.

Anyway , I found a driver for 64bit that would install every time on W10 now.And now I could do a better test of the bios chip.The CH341A would most times autodetect the chip also.

Now I have no problem to check the chips.But I did find that some chips are already 1/2 defective - and that`s why they don`t erase 100%.
                                      When I take a new one , there is no more problem.You can also check and feel if the chip is getting warm.When it is on the CH341A.

This is a sign that it is on it`s way out.

So , the most important thing is that you have the correct driver for the CH341A (especially when you use W10 64b)

Comment

Well, if it helps, mine came with some user-made documentation from the seller (and a pretty good one at that) and the driver link bundled inside worked just fine with Win10 Enterprise LTSC 64bit. If my memory serves me right, it's called CH341PAR.EXE, and the driver installer should read "USB-EPP/I2C... CH341A".
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                        X