Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade de GT630M GF108 to GT630M GF116 or GT640M

Good evening everybody.

So, crazy idea time, I have an old Asus N53SM with an GT630M(the GF108 version), I was reading some old articles and discovered that there are two flavours of the GT630M, que GF108 with 96 shaders and the GF106/GF116 that has 144 shadders, I have an Ersa IR650 where I work and a bit of rework/reballing knowledge, I'm the guy that repairs computers at the board level, all others just know how to order new boards..

I started to think and checked some prices in eBay, and thought that for 40-50€ for a new chip and 1h of work it might be a good upgrade to my laptop, after some more research I stumbled into this list:
    http://videocardz.com/29825/nvidia-g...0m-series-gpus

Now, the GT630M as the codename starting with N13P, and the other models that also share that initial part of the codename are the following models:
    GeForce GT 650M N13P-GT 128 bit
    GeForce GT 640M N13P-GS 128 bit
    GeForce GT 640M LE N13P-LP 128 bit

In ebay I searched all those codenames and all the chips have the same footprint, so my next idea, oh boy, lets try one GT650M, even today thats a pretty sweet graphics chip!
    Well the TDP of that chip is 45Watts, the GT630M is a 33/35Watts chip, the heatsink of my laptop is pretty big and I think it can take the extra heat, but I don't think the regulators in the motherboard will like such an abuse, so, a step down, there is the GT640M, still a nice contender, 384 shadders, more ROP's and more TLU's and a higher clock speed.

Is there any reason not to try and swap the GT630M chip for the GT640M one, do you guys and girls think that its worth the risk in slapping in there one gt650m one?

My biggest fear is the BIOS, its not made to know what a GT640 or GT650 are, will it work?

Lots of questions for a newbie around I know, but I'm happy with any kind of response/feedback.

Best regards, and thanks in advance.

Re: Upgrade de GT630M GF108 to GT630M GF116 or GT640M

The regulators will hold, 35W to 45W power draw isn't a big difference. And as you found out, the footprint is the same and they are also electrically compatible (all chips of the same family and same bus width are, it doesn't make economical sense to design them otherwise). On the other hand, it may require a new BIOS or some hardware settings (jumpers/resistors for chip ID or something on the mainboard). It should work, but you may have to mod BIOS and move a few resistors around.

It's a good idea to do as much homework as possible before attempting such a mod. Do you have a schematic for your laptop mainboard?
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 05-18-2015, 08:46 AM.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I have "found" the schematic for my laptop, but its in a forum that requires points to download, the problem is that it is a polish forum, so I will never be able to reply and gain points to download it, I also found a boardView but without schematic I doesn't have much use.
      It seems to be a rather rare schematic, I can't find anything neither for the N53SM, nor for the older N53JQ or the N53SV, its strange.

Modding a BIOS is totally out of my knowledge, but given its not a UEFI bios(maybe it its, or atleast supports UEFI boot) it might not be that hard to learn how to do it.

Comment

its not a big difference between these chips, better try 660 or higher.

Comment

The 660 has a different codename N13E-GE, and uses GDDR5, my motherboard has GDDR3, so its a no go.
          I think the extra 10Watts of the GT650 will cook the buck regulators, at 1v core voltage 10Watts translate to some 10A extra, I don't think the mosfets would be up the task.

I'm a bit paranoid with overheating, so for now I have added two layers of Fujipoly 10W/mK of thermal pads between the mosfets that supply the graphic chip and the metal top(it the metal plate under the keyboard), made them run much cooler.

And for now I'm running a bit of overclock, its work 3-4fps in the single game that I play, Mass Effect 3.

I'm asking/having this wild idea because one chip from eBay costs 50€, if I could do this under 100€ it would give the laptop some more time of life, I'm currently studying and working, so putting 1000€ into a new laptop is a no go, and for now my N53 has been running great for almost 5 years, its a bit scratched, but I don't play a lot, its more Solidworks and Altium Designer, but if I had a bit more horsepower I would play a bit more.

But thanks for your consideration.

Comment

so 650 would be ok. better mosfets take power to ok level

Comment

Working...
            X