Acer Aspire 5517

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire 5517

A friend was doing a Windows Update with his Acer Aspire 5517 thinking he had the power supply connected. It was not. The battery died during the updates, and the computer will not boot. The power light comes on and, if you hold the button for 5 seconds, the computer will turn off.

I've tried everything I know to try:
    • Remove the battery for six hours.
    • Hold the power button for several minutes with no battery or power.
    • Try to run the Crisis Disk with a USB stick.
    • Try to run the Crisis Disk with a USB floppy.

Based on the extensive Internet research I've done, it seems that the BIOS might be scrambled. One Acer employee commented that a lot of these computers were returned for that problem. I followed his recommended procedure to the letter.

When I try to run the Crisis Disk with the USB stick, the orange light flashes, as the instructions say it should, but the computer never reads the USB stick. I've carefully prepared the stick according to the instructions. It is formatted FAT32, and it is prepared by the Crisis program.

Everything is pointing to a hardware failure, but it would be very strange for a hardware failure to occur at the exact time that the computer shutdown because of dying battery.

Any thoughts on what to try next?

Re: Acer Aspire 5517

how did you format the stick?

Comment

try a different usb port

Comment

I tried both ports. I'm pretty sure I formatted the stick wrong. What is the correct procedure? The manual said to use wincris.exe to create a bootable disk on XP, which is what I did.
        Last edited by neumannu47; 03-17-2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I created a Crisis Disk on floppy, USB stick, and even CD, all according to various instructions I've read over the Internet. The wincris.exe file actually formats the drive and makes it bootable. The problem is that the 5517 is not accessing the USB stick or the USB floppy drive. It acted like it wanted to read the CD drive, but it stopped after just a few seconds.

The instructions I saw for using the CD drive said to simply put the .fd file (not the .wph file) on the disk and boot. That doesn't fit with any of the other techniques I've heard for flashing the BIOS, but I'll try anything once.

Maybe the computer is toast. It can't be this hard to flash the BIOS. I even tried the old version of the BIOS. No screen, no indications, no nothing. The only hope I have is that I get the quick orange flashing light, and the fan continues to run in the recovery mode. Nothing else works.

Comment

I'm guessing this laptop is toast.

Comment

Originally posted by neumannu47 View Post
              A friend was doing a Windows Update with his Acer Aspire 5517 thinking he had the power supply connected. It was not. The battery died during the updates, and the computer will not boot.

Everything is pointing to a hardware failure, but it would be very strange for a hardware failure to occur at the exact time that the computer shutdown because of dying battery.
              A failed Windows update won't cause a POST failure. Looks like a defective chip or bad solder joint. Looks like you must reball or reflow.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                A failed Windows update won't cause a POST failure. Looks like a defective chip or bad solder joint. Looks like you must reball or reflow.
                What is reball? Are these computers known for cold solder joints?

Comment

Originally posted by neumannu47 View Post
                  What is reball? Are these computers known for cold solder joints?
                  Reball means to lift the chip of the board and reattach it back with new LEAD balls. Procedure is complicated , you need some skills , rework machine and so on.

Like RJARRRPCGP said , windows update it's only software related.
                  Before thinking at any reflow / reball just try remove all parts from motherboard ( dvd , keyboard , any usb connected) i had many times problem with stuck key on keyboard and laptop will start with black screen and freeze
                  Last edited by claudyu07; 03-19-2015, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claudyu07 View Post
                    Reball means to lift the chip of the board and reattach it back with new LEAD balls.
                    no it doesnt, stop trying to get people to do something illegal.
                    you know damned well that lead solder is banned on anything manufactured after 2006.
                    or you should and do now.

Comment

I don't have the tools or the expertise to reball. How would I find someone in my area (or anywhere in the US) who does? Every one around here that I can find is a board changer.
                      Last edited by neumannu47; 03-19-2015, 05:42 AM.

Comment

every normal laptop service must have reballing station. its need. without it its not a service just "changers"

Comment

Working...
                        X