Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

asus K55VD - no power

Hi guys,

I have Asus K55VD motherboard - Dc to Dc controller chip RT8239b is getting hot - when tested - 3.3 volts Always ON voltage is missing - but 5 volts always ON is present. Don't have schematics to trace the 3.3 volts always ON power rail . Help is much appreciated

Note: This 3.3 and 5 volts always ON will be present even before pressing power button and feeds EC and charger IC. When power button is pressed 3.3 and 5 volts system power will come out of RT8239b chip.

Re: asus K55VD - no power

Ok guys, I got it. Its EC chip short causing d/c to d/c controller hot. Replaced EC all good.
    cheers

Comment

Originally posted by cephei328 View Post
      Ok guys, I got it. Its EC chip short causing d/c to d/c controller hot. Replaced EC all good.
      cheers
      i swear i try to understand .
      usually EC chips are NUVOTON, ENE, ITE.
      What EC chip did you have?
      or you call Mosfets EC?
      Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

EC ic gets 3.3v (power) from 5v and 3.3v regulator. EC ic was shorted, so 3.3v rail was sorted.

Comment

Atsio was right, EC ITE8517E gets 3.3 volts standby voltage from RT8239B system power controller. When EC is short no 3.3 volts and chip gets hot. Cheers

Comment

Hi people,

I'm having trouble locating the RT8239B, is it under the CPU cooling pipes?
            Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

gelf1969
            Last edited by gelf1969; 08-23-2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I see my bad, must learn to have "coffee before tronics".

You were referring to a short with the EC ITE8517E causing a loss of continuous power to the RT8239b causing the issues.

Sheesh, might have my work cut out for me as a novice solderer sorting that ITE8517E replacement.

Comment

just good flux and hotair station for removing, good flux and flat tip to soldering

Comment

Would a Hot air gun work? Also would solder paste be a better solution for surface mounting?

Seriously don't mind if it goes belly-up since It has been thrown out.

Comment

Why don't you invest at least 1K usd to start. If you would like to become a goood technician, always do the proper way

Comment

Hi everyone,

my board shows the same symptoms.
                      I do not know a lot about microelectronics, but I believe an EC would have to run some device-specific routines. Does this mean I have to get a programmed chip from another k55vd board, or does any IT8517E off ebay just work out of the box?

PS in case anyone is still looking: RT8239B is hidden under the heatpipe, a 3x3mm chip marked "jc ed h21".

Comment

hi i have a same board Asus K55vd board but no display I need your help guys tnx

Comment

hi friends pleas i need schematic diagram asus k55vd ...

Comment

Help me find a malfunction!
                            in the attached PDF note my measurements.
                            any help...
                            I place the necessary files for help
                            Attached Files

Comment

the LED energy is constantly on. LED lock 1 flashes twice. LED lock A glows constantly. After two seconds all the LEDs go out. the system does not start. the screen does not light up.. when the memory is removed. LED energy is shining. LED lock 1 is shining, constant glow. the processor is warming up, also warm bridges. After some time the fan turns on. the monitor does not light up. this may indicate a functional bios?

Comment

PM_RSMRST & PM_PWROK low levels 3,28V (should be 4V)

ALL_SYSTEM_PWRGD 3,33v but the laptop turns off, if dismantled memory laptop will not turn off, but the screen does not glow

any ideas ???
                                Last edited by Legion007; 10-13-2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Those voltages are 3.3V AFAIK. If RSMRST# is low, the system shouldn't react to power button at all.
                                  OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

problem with bios? I have no experience in diagnosis. any assumptions on the steps?

Comment

the failure of the BIOS program was confirmed, at the comparative analysis of a dump of a bios from the given mb and the bios of the downloaded from a network with obviously working mb the distinctions. after the firmware the notebook revived. updated the firmware without soldering the chip with a clothes clip.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                      X