Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Probook 430 G2 (LA-B171P) Battery not detected

Hello, gentlmen!!!
    My HP Probook 430 g2 does not detect battery. I tested the battery on another laptop and it is OK.
    I believe smth is wrong with my PC ((.
    Searching this forum I found some nice suggestions.
    So, I tested Battery Connector pins (charger in/battery out) and here are my results:

pin_1 0v (-)
    pin_2 3.30v
    pin_3 0v
    pin_4 3.38v (SCL)
    pin_5 2.55v (SDA)!!!
    pin_6 2.25 (+)

As far as I understand SDA pin must be ~3.3v???
    Are there any other tests I can do before disassembling motherboard?
    I appreciate any help and hints. Thank u.

Measure the same pins for their voltages to ground on the known good laptop.

Remove all power and no battery. Meter in diode mode. Red meter probe, yes red to ground. Black meter probe to point to test. Test each of the same battery connector pins. Post each measurement.

Is this battery discharged? Do not see a proper output battery voltage in the list.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      Measure the same pins for their voltages to ground on the known good laptop.

Remove all power and no battery. Meter in diode mode. Red meter probe, yes red to ground. Black meter probe to point to test. Test each of the same battery connector pins. Post each measurement.

Is this battery discharged? Do not see a proper output battery voltage in the list.
      1) I have no possibility to make measurements from another laptop now (((. Maybe at the end of the next week.

2) DIODE MODE TEST RESULTS (6-pin battery connector, laptop side):

pin_1 - red to ground
      pin_2 - 800
      pin_3 - 1
      pin_4 - 615
      pin_5- 615
      pin_6 - 570

3) The battery is absolutely new.
      My laptop worked several hours using this new battery (even being not detected) until it wasn't totally discharged.
      Another laptop detects and charges it well.
      So, the battery discharged and I can't charge it anymore as it isn't detected by win7 or bios (M74 01.54).
      I make some smbus readings from the battery and see that it is 13.3V now.
      The bat. communicates fine via I2C.

Thank u, for your help.

Comment

Smbus pins are ok. The lower voltage could be from the line toggling. Is the battery compatible with this logic board?

Comment

Smbus pins are ok. The lower voltage could be from the line toggling. Is the battery compatible with this logic board?
          I've just tested 4 more new batteries from another seller. None of them was detected (((.
          Can it be BIOS issue? I updated it several years ago.
          The battery wasn't plugged in while I was updating BIOS.
          I've just reset Bios to factory but nothing changed.
          Is it worth uploading previous firmware? I am at 1.54 M74 now.

Comment

Are you using the correct, official HP charger ?

Comment

Originally posted by rogfanther View Post
              Are you using the correct, official HP charger ?
              Yes! It is original. Bought it brand new together with the laptop. Works perfect for 10 years already. Do I have to do some tests with it?

Comment

Run the hardware diagnostics referenced here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/documen...541-4194587-16

Be sure you have all of the required low level device drivers installed.

Comment

Run the hardware diagnostics referenced here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/documen...541-4194587-16

Be sure you have all of the required low level device drivers installed.
                  mon2, thank u so much for your time.
                  The link you gave me was the first algorithm I realized. But no luck.
                  I have latest BIOS updates and made hard resets several times... Nothing (((.

Comment

Contact # 6 on the battery connector is BAT_DET#. The '#' suffix denotes an ACTIVE LOW signal. If this line is a logic LOW = '0', then the battery is present; otherwise with a logic '1', the battery is ABSENT.

You have a logic '1'. Take a piece of wire and ground this contact #6 AND have a battery installed. Test again.

Comment

Contact # 6 on the battery connector is BAT_DET#. The '#' suffix denotes an ACTIVE LOW signal. If this line is a logic LOW = '0', then the battery is present; otherwise with a logic '1', the battery is ABSENT.

You have a logic '1'. Take a piece of wire and ground this contact #6 AND have a battery installed. Test again.
                      I got you. Here is the result:

pin_1 0v (-)
                      pin_2 0v <===== 3.3v before
                      pin_3 0v
                      pin_4 3.39v (SCL)
                      pin_5 2.55v (SDA)
                      pin_6 2.21 (+)

SDA voltage didn't change (.

Comment

Ground pin # 6.

Comment

Pin 6 is BAT+
                          Your "pin6" is same as "pin2" in my interpretation. I have "BI" symbol on that pin from battery side. I believe it means "Battery In".
                          So, I did it correctly and SDA value stays the same (((.

I use this schematics and it suites my pinout 100%.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry - my bad. Just came back from a Costco run. My reference is a G3 schematic - can you link yours in the schematic forum?

What is the voltage to ground of the pull-up voltage = 3D3V_AUX_S5 ?

Comment

Here is the schematics I rely on.

Page 39.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...849#post770849

Comment

Confirm the RTC battery voltage.

Comment

CMOS Battery was 2.67V. Changed it to a new one. Now it's 3.3V.
                                  I had to disassemble laptop to confirm rtc bat, so, I made some additional tests.
                                  I checked charger BQ pins 8 and 9. They are 2.55 (SDA) and 3.38 (SCL).
                                  After that I checked pins 111 and 112 of MEC1322-NU. They have same measurements for SDA and SCL - 2.55 and 3.38.

Is it possible that my MEC is malfunction?
                                  How can detect BQ version (it has no writings on it (((( )?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RomanSko1 View Post

1) I have no possibility to make measurements from another laptop now (((. Maybe at the end of the next week.

2) DIODE MODE TEST RESULTS (6-pin battery connector, laptop side):

pin_1 - red to ground
                                    pin_2 - 800
                                    pin_3 - 1
                                    pin_4 - 615
                                    pin_5- 615
                                    pin_6 - 570

3) The battery is absolutely new.
                                    My laptop worked several hours using this new battery (even being not detected) until it wasn't totally discharged.
                                    Another laptop detects and charges it well.
                                    So, the battery discharged and I can't charge it anymore as it isn't detected by win7 or bios (M74 01.54).
                                    I make some smbus readings from the battery and see that it is 13.3V now.
                                    The bat. communicates fine via I2C.

Thank u, for your help.
                                    ===============================================================================================

pin_1 - red for earth pin_2 - 800-----------------------------Checks if there is communication with pin 2 of (U2701)
                                    pin_3 - 1--------------------------------This is wrong. check pin 3 of D392?
                                    pin_4 - 615
                                    pin_5- 615
                                    pin_6 - 570 =================================================== ====================================
                                    pin_1 0v (-)-------------ok pin_2 3.30v------------------------is supposed to be at 00 pin_3 0v---------------------ok
                                    pin_4 3.38v (SCL)-------------------------------------
                                    pin_5 2.55v (SDA)!!---------------------checks RN3901
                                    pin_6 2.25 (+)--------------------------------------------- ---------Wrong... your battery is 13.3V... check or replace (PU4004....BQ24736)
                                    Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-12-2024, 03:10 PM.

Comment

With no power -> also confirm the resistance of R3902.

Comment

You need to check each and every part connected on SDA line. Howver, if you sio is MEC14XX ,very likely its MEC fault as this is quite common(have faced atlest 10 times in last 6 months alone). You can just try lifting the SDA pin on EC(or cutting the track will also do) and see if SDA jumps back to 3.3V on charging IC. However, it needs good skill and practice to do so ,else there is a chance of damaging the EC.

Comment

Working...
                                        X