Dell E7450 - LA-A963P motherboard damage and replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell E7450 - LA-A963P motherboard damage and replacement

Hi all, I damaged the SD card slot of my notebook, it is not a big issue but I would like to have it back to work. I realized there is no spare part so I have to take a new motherboard. Not so expensive so I can make it. A few questions as I found a new MB on aliexpress.
    I believe the procedure is:
    - remove the old MB;
    - install the new one;
    - install my SD disk back.
    Is this correct...what about the BIOS? Will the notebook start correctly or it will be necessary some other software/BIOS procedure?
    Thank you for any help.

...so guys...

Comment

• SMDFlea
      SMDFlea commented
      Editing a comment
      Thread moved to laptop forum,where you should get a reply..

thank yopu...hope to get some help

Comment

How bad is the damaged SD card connector? Post some clear pics. Have you checked if there are replacement SD card sockets for your logic board available?

Comment

Hi, I checked the SD slot, unfortunately it is my fault. I pulled out an SD card adaptor that was blocked into the slot. The internal contacts are damaged. I am quite confident with electronics so sure about damage not possible to be fixed. I searched the replacement part but it looks like it is not available, it is actually soldered to the MB. As said it is not a big issue as I can use USB card adaptor but it would make me happy to have it working. MB cost is not so prohibitive to me...just for fun.
        The image is taken frome the web...but it it the same. You can see where the SD card slot is

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	3234452
        Attached Files

Comment

Just de solder the sd card reader from mb. You need a hot air station and soldering iron to do the job.I assume there is no other damage and mb is working.

Comment

Hi, correct the MB is working. I would keep the the sd card reader in place if I do not have the replacement part. I wonder if the card reader is available .

Comment

Replacement parts are usually not available, you need to get it from another circuit board. I consider it quite difficult to replace it, unlike other components on the circuit board, it is not designed to be replaced. In case you still want to fix it, here are some suggestions to ensure it works and is not destroyed when done with a hot air soldering station: Use solder with a melting point of 138 degrees Celsius Sn42Bi58 to reduce the temperature of the solder joint on the part to be removed.

Comment

Thank you. I already did some fix on my laptop including BIOS chip desoldering not easy not impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by vince59 View Post
                  Thank you. I already did some fix on my laptop including BIOS chip desoldering not easy not impossible.
                  Be careful with the card reader, it is more sensitive to heat than other components due to the mechanical mechanism and springs inside. And there are plastic parts that can melt.

Comment

If you want to replace the board, some bios configuration will need to be done about booting preferences, time/date, etc. But a replacement for the socked could also be installed. The hard part is that you will need to search AliExpress "by eye", comparing your part with the photos there.

Comment

Thank you guys for your helpful advice. Next days I will remove the board and have a look at the reader...

Comment

Originally posted by rogfanther View Post
                        If you want to replace the board, some bios configuration will need to be done about booting preferences, time/date, etc. But a replacement for the socked could also be installed. The hard part is that you will need to search AliExpress "by eye", comparing your part with the photos there.
                        Hi, well I will spent some money to get a new MB just for fun, I found the proper model/version MB. My understanding is that I will "simply" remove the old MB, reinstall the new one and make all connections. I assume that the boot procedure will "recognize" connected basic hardware....SSD, RAM, screen, keyboard and maybe a tuning of BIOS as well as BIOS update could be necessary.

Comment

After you install the new MB, reset the BIOS to the default settings, customise it to include your own preferences and you should be fine. The only real problem is that your current Windows licence (assuming that you're running Windows 10/11) won't transfer to the "new" computer - you'll be relying on the new MBs original licence reactivating and you'll just have to hope that its previous owner upgraded it to Windows 10 before Microsoft closed off the free upograde route. If not, you'll have to pay for a new Windows 10/11 licence key.

Comment

Working...
                          X