Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell Inspiron 15 No Power - IC’s and surrounding components on 3.3v rail getting hot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 15 No Power - IC’s and surrounding components on 3.3v rail getting hot.

Hi! I've had a laptop dropped off to me to take a look at. The issue stemmed from another IT repair shop replacing the display and now the laptop does not power on.

To cut a long story short, a lot of components on the 3.3v rail are getting burning hot and the laptop does not power on. I've identified some of the IC's but I'm unsure what could be causing the issue. I believe there to be a short somewhere leading to excess current, causing the heat but that's just a guess.

I've read through the schematics but they're not very helpful, as they don't tend to show any small components nor their values.

I'll upload a photo of the area getting hot, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or have maybe worked on this board before? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Dell Inspiron 15 No Power - IC's and surrounding components on 3.3v rail getting

If the 3v3 rail is getting hot, start with checking the resistance to ground of this power rail. Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode.

Measure the resistance to ground of this 3v3 rail. Post the measurement.

Comment

Working...
    X