Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook A1989 overheating after liquid damage

Hey everyone,

Had a MacBook pro 13" 2018 (A1989) come in for liquid damage. The only liquid damage was all around UB400. It was most likely soda, so there wasn't that much corrosion. I reflowed the UB400 and the QB chips with some flux, and replaced the caps/resistors that were in bad shape. Seemed to be working fine at first, but the next day when testing it again, the laptop charges and boots fine, the CPU would overheat, and U7210 would get to 70 degrees Celsius as well. I'm testing with only screen and battery connected at this point.

I can't figure out how the initial damage would be related to the CPU overheating, the rest of the board was completely clean. If someone could point in the right direction that would be great. Thanx in advance!

Re: MacBook A1989 overheating after liquid damage

Removed both CD3215's on the liquid damaged side just to make sure, fully cleaned and reballed. No result, although I did notice for a split second there's a red square around the apple logo when booting, I'll include a picture.

It takes about 1 to 2 minutes for the cpu to get too hot and the machine starts lagging like crazy. Maybe I should just assume bad cpu?
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X