Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Msi

MSI,

This was a fine board with p3 866 sl4md installed for two years.It then began to reboot intermitantly followed by no post at all.I suspect bad electrolytic capacitors due to the numorous postings on the web

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...&highlight=msi

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...&highlight=msi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_Plague

http://www.answers.com/topic/capacitor-plague

So I am sure that you get the point . I don't want any money back and I don't care to join a class action suit just to line some lawyer's pockets . All I want is a home for my p3 coppermines before their usefullness is at an end . Please if there is anything you can do I would appreciate it greatly .

-Dennis

Hello, Customer (dennis.ryan@gmail.com)

Your RMA# is: RR06013183

Once you have received your RMA#.

Please print out this email and insert into your RMA package or attach it as a packing slip. You might want to print out another copy for your records. Thank you.

1. Please send only the MSI product(s) that need RMA service, and do not include any components or accessories with your RMA. MSI will not be responsible for these non-MSI items and the customer will be charged a nominal fee for the disassembly, reassembly, and storage of these additional parts.

2. Do not partially ship your RMA. All of the items requested for RMA must be shipped at the same time.

3. RMA# needs to be prominently displayed either on the package or on the shipping label.

Detail Info.

Company I.E.G.

Contact Dennis,Ryan

Telephone 5558242247

Fax

Shipping Address 2604 1st av s

City Other

State Washington

Zip 98101

Request Type RMA

RMA# RR06013183

Special Request

Dear Dennis, here is exceptional o/w RMA nubmer for your item return for repair/equivalent replacement. (cap. fail issue)

RMA Item List (Rejected item(s) in red.)

If the information on your request varies from the actual item(s) received, your RMA will be based on the actual item(s) received.

Total Qty : 1

Model# Part# Serial# Marketing Name Symptom Latest RMA#

6321 6321-130 0010047944 694D Pro - AR M14 -- LED No Function

Return item ship To:

RMA DEPT.

901 Canada Court

City of Industry, CA 91748

Tel626)581-3001

Fax626)581-1551

Attn: RMA Dept

RMA#: RR06013183

any problem regarding this RMA please contact msirma@msicomputer.com

Thanks for visiting MSI Website!

Sincerely,

MSI e-Customer Service Team

I would say That speaks for itself .

Details as they happen
    Last edited by kopcicle; 04-21-2006, 10:31 PM. Reason: colors are good
    .. one of these days I'll have an internet connection faster than my computer.

Re: Msi

cool!
    we expect a full report!
    it will be interesting to see what they use to replace the caps with.

Comment

All I can hope for is a working motherboard . I am wondering though , the Ver 1 694PRO - D is a bit long in the tooth . I just don't know what MSI might have in the way of newer dual PIII to replace it with . If I do get the original motherboard back with "new old stock" caps installed I will be ordering up a full set of caps and do it myself .
      This board was replaced in service well before it's time and would be a welcome replacement for my workstation that has been limping along at 1ghz ,1g , 40g HD for some years (the venerable ASUS CUBX-E ) .
      I will certainly keep you informed of any updates

Comment

iirc the last msi dual p3 was a 694t based board.dont remember the ms- number right now.

Comment

05/01/2006 - Your RMA package(s) have arrived and are currently in receiving process.

04/21/2006 - Your RMA request has been approved.

addendum >that was a MSI Part No. MS-9105-020 or Pro266TD MasterLR VIA® VT8653 chipset....

Comment

5/2/2006 - Your RMA has been received and is now in replacement, testing, or repair process.

Comment

5/12/06

Dear Customer,

Your RMA arrived to us on [05/01/2006] and our turnaround time is within
              10~14 working days. Within this timefram we will either repair or send
              you a replacement as soon as possible. Thank you.

Howard Chung
              MSI Customer Service Rep.

Comment

5/11/2006 - Your RMA is now waiting to be packaged, ready to ship.

Comment

05/15/2006 - Your RMA has been completed and shipped; your tracking number is now available, but keep in mind it may take several hours for the tracking number to be activated in the system.

Comment

5/16/2006 2:36 pm Transit through sort facility. Wilmington, OH

Comment

Hostname: slacker' - OS: Linux 2.6.16.7/i686 - CPU: 2 x Pentium III (Coppermine), 967.159MHz - Processes: 85 - Uptime: 20 Minutes - Load Average: 0.19 - Memory Usage: 95.36mb/901.60mb (10.58%) - Disk Usage: 3.75gb/31.78gb (11.80%) - Network Traffic (fxp0): In/Out 0.0mb/0.0mb

Ok so this doesn't begin to relate what all has happened in the last two weeks but suffice to say life got in the way .
                      I had the board running M$ W2K for all of an hour and decided to finally take the plunge and do a complete Slackware install.The story of the fight with the VIA chipset and this insane bios are topics for another place . I will note briefly that among other things you can not dissable the on board promise controller or have an Ode hard drive installed in the primary Ode controller and have the board boot from a PIC SCSI controller .

I will be taking this test setup apart to install it in a case now that it works . When I have it apart I'll detail what has been replaced and with what . I have a family member in a graphics arts course that has agreed to photograph the board so we have some idea what has been done .

My thanks to all here and to the people at MIS who agreed to repair a mainboard that had been in near constant service for three years and was to all indications nearly five years old .
                      Last edited by kopcicle; 06-01-2006, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I know it seems like a very long time since I reported on the saga of the MSI board but this one quirk is worth noting .While operating on the large size anti-static foam pad this was a solid system . Then for some reason I decided to finally install the hardware in a case .The machine would not even post . I removed the hardware from the case and all was well until the bios lost its mind (with a little careless help from me). I installed the hardware in the case (anyone see a pattern forming here ?) and again it refused to post let alone boot. It occurred to me (as well as some rather more intelligent individual on the bad caps forum) that MSI had insisted on installing a filter cap backwards not only in OEM but RMA replacement as well . (I find it odd that a major motherboard manufacturer can't read and follow their own schematics). Once again I removed all the hardware and placed the foam pad on the open case and attached an alligator clip jumper from board ground to case ground and of course no post (D'Oh!). I removed the jumper and and of course it not only posted but booted . After a trip to the local hardware store for a hand full of nylon washers and screws the assembly went smoothly . (note: if you drop a nylon screw into some inaccessible area of the case during assembly you don't have to did it out) On that boot the machine came up with out a problem and has ever since .
                        Last edited by kopcicle; 03-29-2007, 09:20 PM.

Comment

bump

Still chugging along

Hostname: slacker - OS: Linux 2.6.27-11-generic/i686 - CPU: 2 x Pentium III (Coppermine) (930.660 MHz) - Processes: 144 - Uptime:46d 22h 17m - Users: 3 - Load Average: 3.61 - Memory Usage: 515.02MB/1009.29MB (51.03%) - Disk Usage: 542.86GB/590.85GB (91.88%)

Just one curiosity though . With the board insulated from the chassis just in order for it to post/boot I can't reboot with the side cover on ?!?! . all I can figure is that there is some distributed capacitance between the case and the power supply wire loom ....

Comment

Working...
                          X