Abit NF-M2SV - bad caps or?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abit NF-M2SV - bad caps or?

I have two of these boards and both of them have same kind of symptoms. First one has clearly bad capacitors and I am planning to try to repair it later and now focus on the other one which seems to have good capacitors but still is unstable.

I don't have enough capacitors so that I could replace all 1800uf / 6.3v OST caps which according to this forum usually go bad on these boards and they indeed are the faulty ones on the another board I mentioned. I have now changed all but two caps near the CPU socket and the board will not usually boot into Ubuntu desktop, it hangs after loading drivers or shortly after the Ubuntu-logo has appeared. At first, when I replaced only one cap which was reflecting light differently from the others (not bulging) it booted succesfully into Ubuntu and stayed on until I shut it down. But then after couple tests it started to show those same symptoms again, crash on various stages.

So could it be that these two OST caps which were left are the reason or is there something bigger which is too much work to fix? What do you think?
    Last edited by thewk; 10-08-2011, 03:50 AM.

Re: Abit NF-M2SV - bad caps or?

I'm 99.999999999% certain that the problem is the chipset. Those boards have nvidia chipsets with the RoHS solder bug.

Once your chipset fails, it's the end of the motherboard. I recently had one fail and take out several of my USB devices (including a $200 oscilloscope )
    Last edited by c_hegge; 10-08-2011, 05:48 AM.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yeah, I have heat gun which I have used to repair this laptop I am now using so probably I could try it next. However, since I got frustrated that I have wasted many good new caps I removed most of them and replace with originals. I of course did not remember which one was where (they have same ratings of course). I switched the system on and noticed that one which is near where the main power cord is connected almost immediately started to bulge and system crashed again. This same thing happened with one near PCI-E slot. Again, all of them have same ratings so I suppose it should not matter which location I put them? The ones which I have used are rated 2200uf and 10V, made by Jamicon. I have been told that you can replace caps with slightly higher ratings but with those the board seems to less stable.

I am in no ways expert altough I have succesfully repaired motherboards before and also couple iMac G5's so all tips are welcome
      Last edited by thewk; 10-08-2011, 06:26 AM.

Comment

If you replaced them with the originals, then that would explain it. Caps become conditioned to whatever voltage they are given, so if you take a 6.3v cap and feed it 1.5v (like on the VRM), within an hour or so, it's now a 1.5v cap. if you put it next to the ATX connector, where it might be getting 5v, then of course it will fail. Personally, as soon as I get the old caps off a board they go straight into the bin (or fire).

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Okay, didn't know that.

I uploaded a small video about how it hangs. The board boots into BIOS every time but hangs on different stages when Ubuntu is being loaded. Windows 7 usually is able to load drivers and enter into graphical stage, there it hangs at the part where I have selected partitions and pressed Next (if it haven't hanged before that). Couple times it did boot up to Ubuntu-desktop and function normally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3_KEf2newE

I don't know why this video has that kind of "tail" where nothing happens, apparently Movie Maker or YouTube screwed something up..

Pictures:

http://lolled.net/kuvaus2/out.php?i=13362_caps1.jpg
          http://lolled.net/kuvaus2/out.php?i=13363_caps2.jpg

So like I wrote earlier, I have used those Jamicon caps which are "bigger" in everyway, physical size, uf- and voltage rating. I cannot replace those two near the cpu socket for two reasons, caps won't fit and I don't currently have any caps left I ordered Rubycon caps however. As you'll noticed, the plastic frame for cooler has been removed to ease cap change.

Heat gun:

I also tried the heat gun method, I heated some time with the same settings which I have used to fix my laptop and couple graphics cards. Functionality of the board did not change.

It would be great if someone with this board or the ECS -branded 6100M (or something, as far as I know they're exactly the same board) who has battled same kind of issues and fixed them would comment this thread
          Last edited by thewk; 10-08-2011, 11:32 PM.

Comment

If this motherboard has a hardware monitor in BIOS, see what your CPU temp is. Just let it sit at the hardware monitor menu and see if the temp rises.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Here are temperature readings when idling in BIOS which cannot be correct:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIYbhEsXEi0

There seems however be fix in form of a bios update. I'm not sure which bios is installed since the BIOS screen is not so informative about, there is date 4.4 and year 2007 but none of the BIOSes have been released on that day according to Abit website:

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/downl...E=Socket%20AM2

Processor is AMD Sempron 2800+ (1.6GHz).

EDIT: Successfully updated BIOS.
              Last edited by thewk; 10-09-2011, 12:54 AM.

Comment

The use of jamicon caps could explain it too. They only make general purpose capacitors, which are not suitable for motherboards. Use something like rubycon MBZ or MCZ series or nichicon HM or HN series.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                  The use of jamicon caps could explain it too. They only make general purpose capacitors, which are not suitable for motherboards. Use something like rubycon MBZ or MCZ series or nichicon HM or HN series.
                  Okay, bit surprising since I've fixed couple iMac G5's with these and after years the caps are still fine. However I did order Rubycon MCZ caps.

I've also done something which I know is not recommened, but I took some of the caps from the another same kind of board (caps which seemed to be fine) and replaced some of this board I am currently working. The board still boots up to bios at every attempt, it goes trough the first phase of Windows XP setup and then I've noticed follwing (I am using USB stick as installation media):

1) If I let the machine to boot into that second, graphical stage with keyboard and mouse (PS/2) in place the machine will shut down after a while.

2) If I let the machine to boot without any devices connected to the back panel (well video cable of course), it will go past XP logo and get to blue screen and the machine will stay on (seemingly) as long as I let it to be on. If I plug in an USB device, it crashes.

So, based on your experience, is the problem capacitors (which I hope) or is there something else? Remember, I have booted this succesfully into Ubuntu and keyboard and mouse worked fine. I will now wait for the replacements to arrive and not solder anything before that.
                  Last edited by thewk; 10-10-2011, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I wonder if it is a problem around the southbridge considering you're having problems with ps/2, usb, and hard drives.

Comment

Originally posted by JAnderson View Post
                      I wonder if it is a problem around the southbridge considering you're having problems with ps/2, usb, and hard drives.
                      Well no problems with hard drives, it does recognize them and is able to copy files for example, at one point it did boot succesfully into Ubuntu desktop and everything worked including USB keyboard and mouse. That was after I had changed only one cap which seemed to be faulty. This did not last since after couple succesful boots the situation reverted back to what was before, to shutdowns. I have tried the heat gun method two times but it does not change anything, I have repair couple graphic cards and laptops with same settings, I doubt if I should increase the heat.

Well, I'll wait for replacement caps and if they don't change anything I'll throw this to trash bin.

Comment

Seems like I cannot edit my post? Well, I did quickly try to take some caps from the another board and now again this board boots to Ubuntu -desktop but crashes if move mouse! What's really strange is that I can use keyboard.
                        Last edited by thewk; 10-13-2011, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Problem solved, atleast the first one was fixed by replacing all OST caps, even those which did not have external signs of being faulty. At first attempt Windows XP was installed without any problems and is now running fine.

I guess the second board can be cured with the same way.

Comment

Working...
                          X