• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO more Abit motherboards...

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20060126PR208.html
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: NO more Abit motherboards...

Who owns Universal Scientific Industrial?

USI is forming a subsidiary into which the Abit operation will be merged, USI expects the merged business to ship more than 10m units a year...

Hopefully 10m units with GOOD caps...
    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

good find. http://www.usi.com.tw/ is not a new company, it has been going since 1976. Strange to be wanting to enter a difficult segment of the computer market by buying a company that has been struggling to survive for a while.

another similar article
      http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29268

one thing they could do though is to consolidate the range of products. All companies produce far too many different motherboards. It would be cheaper to produce less models in larger quantities.
      Last edited by willawake; 01-31-2006, 12:34 PM.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

They manufacture for Global Brands, now is this literally meaning all kinds of brands or is this Global Brands aka Pou Chen Group...Check out the computing part of the website...

You've seen my post with the big list of boards that are OEMs of Elitegroup etc... Abit VA 20 = ECS board...

We need someone in Asia that can dig deeper into this and find out...
        Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

an INQ article calls USI "a big OEM that makes a lot of notebooks, desktops and servers for IBM, or, should we now say, Lenovo."

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29244
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Before the deal with IBM, Lenovo was the largest mobo manufacturer in China. They made a lot of OEM stuff for the Asian continent. One brand I know they export here is QDI. Before the IBM deal and real estate acquisitions, the parent company I *think* was called Legend Holdings, or Legend Computer Corp. God knows the number of tentacles, where they extend, and what they're called these days. I have been unable to link Lenovo/Legend/whatever with the Elitegroup parent company, and their quality seems to be much better. I bought a dozen QDI socket 478 boards with nothing but Panasonic caps on them. Their support leaves much to be desired; I imagine if they keep ABit as a brand the QDI stuff will be moved there, or QDI will cease to exist as a brand. I'm sure at least some of the manufacturing will be contracted to Elite. Soyo (thank God and Greyhound you're gone), Shuttle, Epox et al I believe all had 100% of their mfg. contracted to Elite.

Comment

I hate older QDI boards because of their really bad crappy buggy BIOSes and also bad caps.

Comment

I know. I took a chance on the latest ones I bought because of the decent caps and the price. I kept one for myself. About every other one had problems with onboard audio, which I loathe anyway. Other than that, very stable. I wouldn't even attempt an overclock on a QDI board.

Comment

Working...
                X