Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

great forum, thread and info!

im having the same issues with a blinking (and now non-working) samsung syncmaster cx 223 bw...

have identified blown crapcon caps at:

c304 (330uf 25v 12mm x 10mm)
    c305 (330uf 25v 12mm x 10mm)
    c110 (820uf 25v 20mm x 10mm)
    c111 (820uf 25v 20mm x 10mm)
    c112 (330uf 25v 12mm x 10mm)

there is also 2 other crapcoms (look unblown and don't seem to normally cause the issue as far as i understand) at:

c105 (150uf 450v 42mm x 20mm)
    c107 (47uf 50v 12mm x 6mm)

as im gonna be replacing all the blown ones, do you guys/gals think its worth doing the small 47uf50v and the big ba***rd 150uf450v ones at the same time (as they are the same terrible crapcon brand!)?!

also, could you guys reccomend me a few brands to trust when choosing caps?
    - and what 'characteristics' do they need to be (long life, low esr, lead? poly? - i really dont know my a*se from my elbow when it comes to caps/condensers)!

- as i am in seoul, south korea, please give me a few options as some might not be readily available out here!! - hence the request!!

thanks so much!

will post a report when im done to help anyone else in a similar situation

EDIT: - through further searching, unfortunately, the easily available caps here are samwha/samyoung (crapcon's partner in crime) ...

as far as i understand, anything from : nichicon, united chem, rubycon, sanyo, panasonic and NIC with low-esr rating are the ones to go for?

i understand from panasonic, its the FR series i should hunt down, but what are the good series' (for this job) from the other manufacturers?

sorry if these questions are a little stupid, - i've been searching the forum for hours trying to build up my knowledge but im sure one of you bright sparks can point me in the right direction in about half a paragraph!

cheers! and thanks again!

thomas
    Last edited by tttttthomas; 07-10-2011, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I strongly advocate replacing ALL Capxon caps, with the possible exception of the big (100uF?, 450 Volt?) one. That one has a significantly lower failure rate than the others (I estimate that 1% of the problems are due to a failure of that cap.) The small (47uF 50V) one is vital, and should be replaced.

My experience with Samwha caps is they suffer from variable quality (certain date codes are notorious for failure), rather than being consistently bad.

This thread lists good brands and series of caps.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by tttttthomas View Post
        great forum, thread and info!

im having the same issues with a blinking (and now non-working) samsung syncmaster cx 223 bw...

have identified blown crapcon caps at:

c304 (330uf 25v 12mm x 10mm)
        c305 (330uf 25v 12mm x 10mm)
        c110 (820uf 25v 20mm x 10mm)
        c111 (820uf 25v 20mm x 10mm)
        c112 (330uf 25v 12mm x 10mm)

there is also 2 other crapcoms (look unblown and don't seem to normally cause the issue as far as i understand) at:

c105 (150uf 450v 42mm x 20mm)
        c107 (47uf 50v 12mm x 6mm)

as im gonna be replacing all the blown ones, do you guys/gals think its worth doing the small 47uf50v and the big ba***rd 150uf450v ones at the same time (as they are the same terrible crapcon brand!)?!

also, could you guys reccomend me a few brands to trust when choosing caps?
        - and what 'characteristics' do they need to be (long life, low esr, lead? poly? - i really dont know my a*se from my elbow when it comes to caps/condensers)!

- as i am in seoul, south korea, please give me a few options as some might not be readily available out here!! - hence the request!!

thanks so much!

will post a report when im done to help anyone else in a similar situation

EDIT: - through further searching, unfortunately, the easily available caps here are samwha/samyoung (crapcon's partner in crime) ...

as far as i understand, anything from : nichicon, united chem, rubycon, sanyo, panasonic and NIC with low-esr rating are the ones to go for?

i understand from panasonic, its the FR series i should hunt down, but what are the good series' (for this job) from the other manufacturers?

sorry if these questions are a little stupid, - i've been searching the forum for hours trying to build up my knowledge but im sure one of you bright sparks can point me in the right direction in about half a paragraph!

cheers! and thanks again!

thomas
        It's sort of ironic that your monitor is made by a korean company and that you're in a country that manufactures a ton of electronic goods, yet you have trouble finding good brand name caps Anyway, if you have to order outside the country, you can always try ebay. There are sellers that supply "repair kits" for a lot of the monitors out there. If you have the same power supply as the the 225BW, then do a search for a repair kit for it. Just make sure you compare your parts list to the seller's list, since there are different revisions of this power supply. Also, contact the seller and ask what brand/series of caps they're supplying. These kits are a little on the pricey side, but you should save a bundle on shipping as compared to the large parts distributors.

Comment

Hello again to everyone! I am sorry to say that since I replaced the caps over a year ago. The screen went black on me yesterday! I noticed the screen starting to fade in and out when playing a video game. Then not long after, it went black! I have a couple of photos that I took after taking it apart to have a look at the board that I replaced the caps on. It doesn't appear visually that any of the caps look bad. Here are some pics, maybe someone can help me out to see if it can be repaired. Thanks again for the help!

Emile
          Attached Files

Comment

^^

it is indeed.

korea is a place where 'korean is best' (and chinese is worst)... i had no trouble atall tracking down caps from samwha or samyoung, but these are some of the ones causing trouble in the monitors so i was reluctant to purchase them!

anyway, today i went out to the component markets and had a bit of a unlucky/lucky adventure, depending on which way you look at it.....

i searched and searched for japanese caps or rubycon's and couldnt find any, this is literally after visiting 20 stores and asking if anyone knew who stocked them etc.

no japanese or rubycons, and i needed my monitor back on as soon as i get back home, so i decided to bite the bullet and by samwha's...

but, the only store that would deal with such a small order of caps, were sold out of the 330uf25v's.... i bought all the rest, and tried to track down the leftovers on the list.

this took me to the samyoung store, where they had every cap instock so i bought a new set there, so now i had a full set of samyoung branded caps ready to install

keeping in mind, this is korea, and each cap costs about 10cents here. so i wasnt really to bothered to rebuy.

anyway, i get home, solder in the samyoung's (i know not ideal, but i need the monitor back on as its our main office computer, and our other monitor is tiny!)... put it back together, power up, and perfect. even the slight mark in the top corner that was there before has gone. great!!

a couple of hours later i go to meet my girfriend for lunch, coincidently in the same area as the component market, and i stumble accross a store with a 'LELON' sticker in the window!

lelon seems to be the korean market name for rubycon... i had noticed this in my research, so i walk in, and manage to find:

correct size 1000uf 25v caps (light blue and black lelon branded casing) A110(M)
            correct size 47uf 50v caps (light blue and black lelon branded casing) A110(M)

but the 330uf 25v caps are a much smaller size than the crapcons im taking out...

i found 330uf 25v caps sized 8di x11mm (which means the legs won't fit the 10di holes (13mm high))

and i also found the next cap up in the range, which is the correct sizing (10x12), but is rated 470uf 25v..

- of course this puts me in a dilemna, for two reasons..

1. = the monitor works fine, with the samyoung brand caps i just popped in - so should i bother taking it apart again to put in the lelon/rubycon's - which i am unsure of the ESR rating anyway, as they were the only ones i could find, and cheap, - i just picked them up anyway)

2. = if i do replace the (working, but potentially unstable?) samyoung's, should i use the 330uf 25v (8x11mm) lelons or the 470uf 25v (10x12) lelons to replace the dodgey 330uf 25v (10x12) crapcons!?!

huge post, but thought some of you might fancy a laugh at my stupid day today.

3 sets of caps, with a potential inferior install.

oops!

Comment

Well, if the Sam Young's are low-esr, then I would go ahead and leave them in. Lelons are no better in terms of quality. You're already aware of the risks using these caps. Also, for the 330uf cap, you can always go higher in voltage to say, 35V, just as long as it fits. Good luck!

Comment

EDIT:

was slightly worried the caps i bought were standard (not low-esr) as i didnt recieve paperwork with them

just took apart the monitor again to check model numbers

samyoung LXZ, KXL and KMG (listed by samyoung as low-esr, long life caps). - just incase anyone else is thinking of using samyoung caps.

i'll let you guys know if any problems arrise, but so far, its looking A.O.K.
                Last edited by tttttthomas; 07-11-2011, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaray View Post
                  Hello again to everyone! I am sorry to say that since I replaced the caps over a year ago. The screen went black on me yesterday! I noticed the screen starting to fade in and out when playing a video game. Then not long after, it went black! I have a couple of photos that I took after taking it apart to have a look at the board that I replaced the caps on. It doesn't appear visually that any of the caps look bad. Here are some pics, maybe someone can help me out to see if it can be repaired. Thanks again for the help!

Emile
                  Do you see any life at all? Like the power led on/flashing? Or a flash of light when you push the power button? Clicking sound? Anything?

Comment

Hello jetadm123,

The pic had been fine up until around 3 days ago. The observation that I had noticed was when playing a video game is where it appeared to begin. I noticed the screen was kind of flashing less brightness to normal and would continue that cycle for a little while. I recall coming back after say an hour or so and the screen was black. I moved the mouse to get it out of sleep mode and the desktop came on for a second then went back to black. I then shut it down and took it apart again to see if the caps looked bulged or anything that may have been a noticeable cause of the problem. Everything appears to look ok. Not sure what the problem could be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank You!!!!

Emile

Comment

If you get a chance post a photo of the back of the power supply
                      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Here are some more pics of the rear side of the boards! I noticed some brown marks that seem to be caused by heat! Not sure if this is normal! Thanks for your help!

Emile
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here are some more pics of the rear side of the boards! I noticed some brown marks that seem to be caused by heat! Not sure if this is normal! Thanks for your help!

Emile
                          What type of capacitors did you use?

And some questions,
                          How is the power LED working, Dose it recognize a signal? Can you turn the monitor on and off with the power button?
                          If you use a bright light can you see your desktop on the monitor?
                          If the answer to these questions is yes, there is a fuse you should check. On your picture #3 it's a green fuse about 1 inch above center of the board.
                          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post

And some questions,
                            How is the power LED working, Dose it recognize a signal? Can you turn the monitor on and off with the power button?
                            If the answer to these questions is yes, there is a fuse you should check. On your picture #3 it's a green fuse about 1 inch above center of the board.

Hello and thanks for your help! It did appear that the power led was working and also recognized a signal. I am pretty sure that the power on/off button would work as well. It is still in parts, so I guess before i do anything, I will try and test the fuse you mentioned. I have a multimeter that I could check this fuse. I will report back shortly.

Thanks again!

Emile

Comment

OK- Checked the fuses and they seemed to be around .2 and .3 ohms! What would be the next step?

Thanks,

Emile

Comment

And some questions,
                                For right now, please verify the questions about the power LED. And see if you can see an image on the desktop.
                                Do you have a voltmeter?

Comment

For right now, please verify the questions about the power LED. And see if you can see an image on the desktop.
                                  Do you have a voltmeter?
                                  In other words-put the monitor back together and plug it in to see if the blue led comes on? And if so, then if no image comes on, I can use a flashlight to see if I can see an image of the desktop?

Yes I have 2- mulitimeters with one capable of measuring transistors, caps and such. I will wait for your response before assembling everything back together!

Thanks again,

Emile

Comment

In other words-put the monitor back together and plug it in to see if the blue led comes on? And if so, then if no image comes on, I can use a flashlight to see if I can see an image of the desktop?

Yes I have 2- mulitimeters with one capable of measuring transistors, caps and such. I will wait for your response before assembling everything back together!

Thanks again,

Emile
                                    Thousand pardons Sir, I missed the part about the flash of the backlights. You may have a 2 second to black problem.
                                    However the questions about the image, PLED and power switch are important.
                                    Yes assemble things just far enough to see if you can see an image, and if you can control the power switch. This should let us know if the logic board is good, and give an area to focus attention.

Comment

Just finished putting the monitor back together. I hooked the power cord up along with the HDIM cable and turned it on. The on/off button illuminated blue and indicated that it was working fine. Then the desktop screen appeared for like 1-2 seconds, then went black. I took a flashlight to the black screen and could see some of the icons on my desktop. I would take a wild guess and think that the bulbs are bad??? Not sure! Maybe now this info would help as to what could be the problem and how to fix it!

Thanks so much for the help!!!

Emile

Comment

Substituting good CCFLs would be the easiest approach.
                                        Do you have any spare CCFLs?Or another monitor you could use for testing?

Comment

I have a 19" Hanns-G monitor. Don't know if that would work. Do you think that the CCFL's could be bad? Any idea how much they would be as I have never broke down this part of the monitor! I believe I could do it with a little guidance!

Emile

Comment

Working...
                                          X