Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Others may have a different approach, for testing such as measuring inverter transformer secondary's for shorted turns.Making sure the backlight controller is seeing the B.L. on siginal,And there is power and ground to the controller.
    But I feel you will get the most bang for your buck if you substitute CCFLs.
    Your 19” monitor will work fine for testing, if the connectors are different post a picture of them.
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

My 225BW just started to do this same thing, and of course, two of the caps are buldging/leaking.

Can anyone tell me the digikey part numbers to replace all the CapXon caps on this power supply board? I'd gladly pay a premium for good quality caps..

1 x 150uf 450v (42mm long, 20mm diam?)
      2 x 680uf 25v (16mm long?, 10mm diam)
      2 x 820uf 25v (20mm long, 10mm diam)
      1 x 330uf 25v (12.5mm long, 10mm diam)

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the help-- I am comfortable with electronics/etc. but I'd like to make sure I get the right parts.

Comment

Originally posted by iransofaraway View Post
        My 225BW just started to do this same thing, and of course, two of the caps are buldging/leaking.

Can anyone tell me the digikey part numbers to replace all the CapXon caps on this power supply board? I'd gladly pay a premium for good quality caps..

1 x 150uf 450v (42mm long, 20mm diam?)
        2 x 680uf 25v (16mm long?, 10mm diam)
        2 x 820uf 25v (20mm long, 10mm diam)
        1 x 330uf 25v (12.5mm long, 10mm diam)

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the help-- I am comfortable with electronics/etc. but I'd like to make sure I get the right parts.
        These are the caps that I had ordered from digikey: 2-820uF/25v(part#565-1960-ND) 3-330uF/25v(part#565-1547-ND) 1-47uF/50v(part#493-3283-ND

The 150uF/450v (C105) rarely needs to be changed! I would just change the ones I have listed here!

Emile

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
          Others may have a different approach, for testing such as measuring inverter transformer secondary's for shorted turns.Making sure the backlight controller is seeing the B.L. on siginal,And there is power and ground to the controller.
          But I feel you will get the most bang for your buck if you substitute CCFLs.
          Your 19” monitor will work fine for testing, if the connectors are different post a picture of them.
          OK- I took apart the other half of the monitor! I have it down to where I see like 3- thin plastic sheets and under that appears to be some sort of glass that is attached to 2-long rectangle pieces I would guess would be the CCFL's? I am a little weary about tearing down the 19" monitor, as this is the only way to communicate here! LOL

Maybe there is another way?

Emile

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaray View Post
            These are the caps that I had ordered from digikey: 2-820uF/25v(part#565-1960-ND) 3-330uF/25v(part#565-1547-ND) 1-47uF/50v(part#493-3283-ND

The 150uF/450v (C105) rarely needs to be changed! I would just change the ones I have listed here!

Emile
            Thanks for the response, but I think that list might not be a fit for the 225bw? I don't have any 47uf caps on the power supply that I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by iransofaraway View Post
              Thanks for the response, but I think that list might not be a fit for the 225bw? I don't have any 47uf caps on the power supply that I can see.
              Perhaps your model may be newer/older then mine. The values I have listed are the ones that I had replaced in my monitor! I would suggest calling digikey and speaking with a tech there. Let them know the values and voltages you need to do the replacements. Also let them know the dimensions of the caps, and they will be able to help you! As far as the 820uf and 330uf caps, I ordered the United Chemi-Con brand. You may want to see if that brand has the other values and sizes you are looking for!

Emile

Comment

OK- I took apart the other half of the monitor! I have it down to where I see like 3- thin plastic sheets and under that appears to be some sort of glass that is attached to 2-long rectangle pieces I would guess would be the CCFL's? I am a little weary about tearing down the 19" monitor, as this is the only way to communicate here! LOL

Maybe there is another way?

Emile
                Oh my gosh! I really hope we find a bad CCFL!
                At this point I didn't mean for you to disassemble the LCD pannel.
                I am trying to decide which would be the best way to continue from here.
                Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

OK Al! Just let me know, as I don't want to call the "Geek Squad"- lol

Comment

I think it would be a good idea to inspect the CCFLs, lets go ahead and remove the CCFL channels from the frame work.
                    Some CCFL channels simply just slide out; see if you notice a small screw anywhere on the CCFL channel that's holding the channel to the frame. If you do it may just slide out.
                    If there's no screw, there is a black piece that snaps around the thick plastic and into the metal framework of the LCD.
                    Carefully remove it along with the thin plastic sheets.
                    Make note and keep all the thin plastic sheets in order.
                    There is usually some silver tape at the center of the LCD securing the CCFL channels to the metal frame, remove it.
                    Lay the LCD down with the metal frame work facing you, and lift the frame work off the thick plastic.
                    Then remove the CCFL channels.
                    Let me know when you get to that point.

Comment

I think it would be a good idea to inspect the CCFLs, lets go ahead and remove the CCFL channels from the frame work.
                      Some CCFL channels simply just slide out; see if you notice a small screw anywhere on the CCFL channel that's holding the channel to the frame. If you do it may just slide out.
                      If there's no screw, there is a black piece that snaps around the thick plastic and into the metal framework of the LCD.
                      Carefully remove it along with the thin plastic sheets.
                      Make note and keep all the thin plastic sheets in order.
                      There is usually some silver tape at the center of the LCD securing the CCFL channels to the metal frame, remove it.
                      Lay the LCD down with the metal frame work facing you, and lift the frame work off the thick plastic.
                      Then remove the CCFL channels.
                      Let me know when you get to that point.
                      I removed one of the CCFL's and one of the bulbs were broke off by the end. I took a pic of it to show you. I guess I will have to order 2-new ones and hope that this was the problem. Do you know where I can purchase these CCFL's?

Thanks once again for your help!!!!

Emile
                      Attached Files

Comment

I removed one of the CCFL's and one of the bulbs were broke off by the end. I took a pic of it to show you. I guess I will have to order 2-new ones and hope that this was the problem. Do you know where I can purchase these CCFL's?

Thanks once again for your help!!!!

Emile
                        I really glad you found a problem.
                        If you ever do this again, unless you really want to there's no need to disassemble the LCD panel to substitute CCFLs.
                        You just unplug the CCFLs from the monitor's inverter that you're working on, and plug in the test CCFLs to The inverter.
                        I have used ccflwarehouse with great success; I would phone them, let them know what you're working on. They will make sure you get the correct parts.
                        One thing I always do is to test the new CCFL/s in the inverter before I assemble everything.
                        There is one thing I need to warn you about. This may be become habit forming!

Comment

I really glad you found a problem.
                          If you ever do this again, unless you really want to there's no need to disassemble the LCD panel to substitute CCFLs.
                          You just unplug the CCFLs from the monitor's inverter that you're working on, and plug in the test CCFLs to The inverter.
                          I have used ccflwarehouse with great success; I would phone them, let them know what you're working on. They will make sure you get the correct parts.
                          One thing I always do is to test the new CCFL/s in the inverter before I assemble everything.
                          There is one thing I need to warn you about. This may be become habit forming!
                          Thanks again for the help!!!

One thing I am concerned with is it appears that in the pic I have attached here, the metal cover that protects the circuit board that is connected to the lcd appears to have some spots that seem to be caused by heat! I am not sure this is normal! Perhaps you can let me know if this is ok, as I would hate to order the new CCFL's and have another problem that could be causing other issues.

Emile
                          Attached Files

Comment

I am not sure, about the marks.
                            You did indicate you could see an image on the screen with a bright light; If it were me, I would take the chance and replace the defective CCFLs.
                            If you do order from ccflwarehouse, get a small amount of kapton tape, and some universal silicone end caps just in case the ones in your panel come apart removing them.
                            ccflwarehouse has some tutorials
                            http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html

Comment

Thanks again for the help!!!

One thing I am concerned with is it appears that in the pic I have attached here, the metal cover that protects the circuit board that is connected to the lcd appears to have some spots that seem to be caused by heat! I am not sure this is normal! Perhaps you can let me know if this is ok, as I would hate to order the new CCFL's and have another problem that could be causing other issues.

Emile
                              That discoloration isn't anything to worry about unless the plastic is actually melted at those spots. You notice it corresponds to several ICs and an inductor. The fact is, that board is responsible for generating the voltages and drive signals for the pixels themselves. If it had failed, you wouldn't be able to see anything. even with a flashlight.

PlainBill
                              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                That discoloration isn't anything to worry about unless the plastic is actually melted at those spots. You notice it corresponds to several ICs and an inductor. The fact is, that board is responsible for generating the voltages and drive signals for the pixels themselves. If it had failed, you wouldn't be able to see anything. even with a flashlight.

PlainBill
                                Thanks Bill for that info! I was a little concerned with seeing those discolored spots as a probable cause for excessive heat! As long as this is a normal thing, then by replacing the CCFL's, my problem should be solved. If I recall correctly, these CCFL's should last around 30k hours. With the bad caps that I had replaced about a year ago, and replacing the 2 CCFLs with new ones, I should be good to go for a while.

Emile

Comment

I am not sure, about the marks.
                                  You did indicate you could see an image on the screen with a bright light; If it were me, I would take the chance and replace the defective CCFLs.
                                  If you do order from ccflwarehouse, get a small amount of kapton tape, and some universal silicone end caps just in case the ones in your panel come apart removing them.
                                  ccflwarehouse has some tutorials
                                  http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html
                                  Sorry Al, I overlooked your post! Yes, I did see images with a bright led flashlight. I will give ccflwarehouse a call tomorrow and order what you indicated I would need. I looked at how the panels are made and thought that I could order them as is. From what you are saying, I would just be ordering the 4-bulbs?

Thanks again guys for all the help!!!

Emile

Comment

Sorry Al, I overlooked your post! Yes, I did see images with a bright led flashlight. I will give ccflwarehouse a call tomorrow and order what you indicated I would need. I looked at how the panels are made and thought that I could order them as is. From what you are saying, I would just be ordering the 4-bulbs?

Thanks again guys for all the help!!!

Emile
                                    No problem,
                                    The good thing about Badcaps is we're all in this together for a common goal,
                                    To Fix it!
                                    You can have ccflwarehouse build you complete assemblies, but it really gets expensive.
                                    If you set up a work table with lots of room, and are careful replacing individual CCFLs is not that difficult. Just think about 3 steps ahead of what your doing.

Comment

Just wanted to say 'Thanks' for this forum & to all of the posters in this thread !!!

I have two 225BWs. Both purchased at the same time & both have been in service about 3.5 years.

One has worked flawlessly...and still does.
                                      The other started having issues about 6 months ago.

The symptoms were:
                                      - Slow to wake from PS mode
                                      - Flickering/shimmering when waking
                                      - Horizontal lines thru display until 'fully awake'.

Sometimes upon awake the image would be very grayed out. Not like bad CCFLs, but very narrow horizontal bands thru it. My fix was to power off/on. Usually, it would work normally immediately after the poser off/on.....until it went into PS mode again. This got worse and worse until it was taking over an hour sometimes to fully wake up.

Sooooo....I gambled and order a cap set from DigiKey...2 actually...1 set for each monitor.

Tuned up my rusty decades old soldering skills and fired up my 30 yr old Weller pencil. An hour later it was repaired & WORKING !!!

I spent 2 hrs total for teardown, cap research/order, & repair the one monitor....& 8 bucks on parts for both.

1 beer = $2
                                      2 cap sets = $8
                                      Money saved by fixing mon. = $150
                                      Satisfaction = Priceless

Before & after pics (including the puffy lil bastidges that were the problem)
                                      click for big
                                      (I know I'm supposed to do 'attachments', but it doesn't work for me. I just get a blank screen when I hit a browse button)

Thanks Again!!!

Comment

Oops...Timeout before I completed pic edit..& figured out I can 'upload from URL'..
                                        Before & After
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by grateful; 07-18-2011, 06:31 PM. Reason: pic issues

Comment

Just want to say thanks to everyone who assisted me. Just replaced two caps and my 225BW is back up and running! Amazing!

Comment

Working...
                                          X