Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

if anyone can help me with possibly having to replace the CCFL Bulbs after replacing all Caps on Two of Three boards:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13086

Comment

Wow! It's been along time since I replaced my caps! it's good to see so many have found this thread. My 225BW is no longer functioning properly. The buttons quit working and the picture has a pinkish hue, Any suggestions?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Zolton View Post
        The buttons quit working and the picture has a pinkish hue, Any suggestions?
        A pinkish hue suggests your ccfls are dying. As the ccfl age, they draw more power which causes the inverter chip to shut down the backlight.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Zolton View Post
          Wow! It's been along time since I replaced my caps! it's good to see so many have found this thread. My 225BW is no longer functioning properly. The buttons quit working and the picture has a pinkish hue, Any suggestions?

Cheers
          Buttons, I dunno.
          Pink hue/flicker = one (or more) of your lamps are dying.
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050
            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I have the 1, 2, 2 version of the board. Can someone point me to which post contains the best recommendation of part numbers from digi-key or another vendor to purchase replacements? I found a recommendation for the 2, 3 configuration, but since the there are two 10mm dia caps close together on my revision I'm not sure if the 12.5mm dia replacements will fit properly. Thanks.

Also, may I suggest editing the first post of this rather long thread with a summary of information contained within?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny_B View Post
              Can someone point me to which post contains the best recommendation of part numbers from digi-key or another vendor to purchase replacements?

Also, may I suggest editing the first post of this rather long thread with a summary of information contained within?
              It is always best to record the uF, voltage, height and diameter of your own caps on the board. It is not uncommon for manufacturers to make revisions on the board and keep the same model number.

Forum members like Panasonic FR or FM series caps. If neither of these 2 are available or out of stock, then go with Panasonic FC.

This forum doesn't allow editing of threads once it is more than 30 minutes old.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny_B View Post
                I have the 1, 2, 2 version of the board. Can someone point me to which post contains the best recommendation of part numbers from digi-key or another vendor to purchase replacements?
                Sure thing! I went with this setup.
                Rethinking the "Why?" chromosome.

Comment

Hello, I have the 225BW and have the problem many of you did, the screen only comes up for half of a second and goes dark. Leading up to this problem I had a day or two of the screen flickering. I opened up the back and found at least 2 of the caps to be bad (brown popped tops) so I ordered these (from Digi-Key):

P10272-ND
                  CAP 330UF 25V Elect FC Radial
                  565-1800-ND
                  CAP 820UF 25v Elect LXY RAD
                  P10277-ND
                  CAP 680UF 25V Elect FC Radial
                  P10321-ND
                  CAP 47UF 50V Elect FC Radial

and replaced all 6 of the smaller caps. When I tried the monitor I found that the problem (only coming on for half a second) is still there. I have double checked the polarity and they are all the correct direction.
                  Can anyone give me suggestions as to my possible problem? I am a novice with a solder iron, but my solder job looks pretty good. I used the solder that came with the iron, is it possible that that was not the best to use for this kind of repair?

Comment

Originally posted by flinxz View Post
                    Hello, I have the 225BW and have the problem many of you did, the screen only comes up for half of a second and goes dark. Leading up to this problem I had a day or two of the screen flickering. I opened up the back and found at least 2 of the caps to be bad (brown popped tops) so I ordered these (from Digi-Key):

P10272-ND
                    565-1800-ND
                    P10277-ND
                    P10321-ND

and replaced all 6 of the smaller caps. When I tried the monitor I found that the problem (only coming on for half a second) is still there. I have double checked the polarity and they are all the correct direction.
                    Can anyone give me suggestions as to my possible problem? I am a novice with a solder iron, but my solder job looks pretty good. I used the solder that came with the iron, is it possible that that was not the best to use for this kind of repair?
                    Not only the popped caps can be bad.Did you replace them all?
                    As for the polarity, you will know when you install one backwards,because of the "pop" you will notice when it EXPLODES.
                    Post more information (what caps were replaced,and with what,and if there are any unreplaced caps).You must rule that out before moving to something else.
                    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by EGuevarae View Post
                      Not only the popped caps can be bad.Did you replace them all?
                      As for the polarity, you will know when you install one backwards,because of the "pop" you will notice when it EXPLODES.
                      Post more information (what caps were replaced,and with what,and if there are any unreplaced caps).You must rule that out before moving to something else.
                      The only one not replaced was the giant one.

Comment

1) Post clear focused pictures of your boards using manage attachments and please do not post inline.

2) If you hookup a working computer displaying your favourite wallpaper, do you see it for 1/2 second before the backlight goes out?

3) Do you have a multimeter?
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                          1) Post clear focused pictures of your boards using manage attachments and please do not post inline.

2) If you hookup a working computer displaying your favourite wallpaper, do you see it for 1/2 second before the backlight goes out?

3) Do you have a multimeter?
                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by flinxz View Post

P10272-ND
                            565-1800-ND
                            P10277-ND
                            P10321-ND

i'm having the same problem and looking into it being the CCFL Bulbs

the Monitor itself isn't too bad to take apart theres a set on top and bottom coming from the Pink/White, Black,Blue x2 connectors

Bulbs are really expensive, $30 for a set of four from:
                            http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/ccfllamps.html

they do have a 1 year warranty which is nice

the other option i found is from China for $13/shiped being the cheapest but still debating whether i want to go the cheaper route since this is most likely the cause

hope this helps:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13086

and if you need the inks for anything, PM me and good luck to you

Comment

I'm having the same problem (when cold, blinks off after a second. Does it several times, then stays on) with a 216BW Samsung but the board is labelled 223BW.

Anyhow there are;

3xSamwha XC V8A, 820uF, 25v, 20mm high, 10mm diam, 5mm lead spacing that are bulging.
                              2xSamwha 820uF (same as above) that aren't bulging.
                              1x330uF, 25v, Samwha XC, 14mm high (can be higher), 10mm diam, 5mm lead spacing that isn't bulging.
                              1xSam Young 2.2uF that isn't bulging. I figure I can leave this one alone.

I figure I should replace all the Samwha caps. I went to digi-key to look up replacements, but I'm having trouble finding replacements that will fit electrically and physically.

If someone could help with finding replacements, I'd really appreciate it. Sorry if this has been answered before.

Comment

Originally posted by captain150 View Post
                                I'm having the same problem (when cold, blinks off after a second. Does it several times, then stays on) with a 216BW Samsung but the board is labelled 223BW.

Anyhow there are;

3xSamwha XC V8A, 820uF, 25v, 20mm high, 10mm diam, 5mm lead spacing that are bulging.
                                2xSamwha 820uF (same as above) that aren't bulging.
                                1x330uF, 25v, Samwha XC, 14mm high (can be higher), 10mm diam, 5mm lead spacing that isn't bulging.
                                1xSam Young 2.2uF that isn't bulging. I figure I can leave this one alone.

I figure I should replace all the Samwha caps. I went to digi-key to look up replacements, but I'm having trouble finding replacements that will fit electrically and physically.

If someone could help with finding replacements, I'd really appreciate it. Sorry if this has been answered before.
                                For the 5 ea 820uF x 25V, Digikey has P14423-ND EEU-FR1E821 available but only 29 pieces.

For the 330uF, 25V use P12386-ND EEU-FM1E331. Plenty of those on hand.

The Sam Young is a 'replace on sight' for several reasons. The manufacturer is a known 'garbage caps' source, caps that small will fail with no physical sign, and it is a critical component. If that cap dies, your monitor is dead.
                                Use P10313-ND EEU-FC1H2R2 for those.

PlainBill
                                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

5x P14423-ND (Panasonic FR 25V 820uF 10x20mm)
                                  1x P12386-ND (Panasonic FM 25V 330uF 10x12.5mm)

that's what i would choose.
                                  maybe even 1000uF instead of 820uF and 470uF instead of 330uF.

edit: damn.. plainbill beat me to it
                                  lol.. also with the same caps

PS: dont forget about the small 50V 47uF startup cap.
                                  digikey: 493-1896-ND
                                  Last edited by Scenic; 02-06-2011, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                    5x P14423-ND (Panasonic FR 25V 820uF 10x20mm)
                                    1x P12386-ND (Panasonic FM 25V 330uF 10x12.5mm)

that's what i would choose.

edit: damn.. plainbill beat me to it
                                    lol.. also with the same caps

PS: dont forget about the small 50V 47uF startup cap.
                                    digikey: 493-1896-ND
                                    And the winner on complteness is Scenic!!!

PlainBill
                                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                      I've done that when 820 are not at hand. Only 1 or 2,not five.No problems so far.
                                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Wow thanks for the quick replies guys. The 47uF one has some white goop on top so I overlooked it.

So 6 samwha replacements, 2 Samyoung replacements.
                                        This monitor is just out of its 3 year warranty, it'd be nice if Samsung just used decent caps. I'll order the stuff and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                                        X