Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung SyncMaster 710N Badcap

Hi there
    I got this monitor with hissing noise as soon as the LCD is lit, I thought it was well... u know when things age they gives out all kinds of noise. I had been using it as my mobo testing monitor for awhile now, it was all fine until one day it decided to on/off or going into standby looping mode due to VGA signal (not quite sure). Then I just keep the monitor away and swap out another monitor, thinking that it was just some super crazy cheapo VGA cable I use causing it to lost signal therefore making the standby loop. Until... I bring out the monitor to use on my workstation as dual monitor set up. It was all fine for 24hr, until just now the on/off start looping again... Then I decided to crack the case open and saw the bulging cap on the primary input section. Does this bad cap has any relation to the hissing noise I heard and the on off loop ?

Other small caps on the secondary side looks fine, at least visually. But ESR I not sure, might gonna replace all of them as well.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 710N Badcap

Yes the big filter capacitor is shot you might as well replace all the capacitors
    Hissing noise is gasses escaping from main filter cap

Comment

^
      Thanks for the comment, appreciate it
      Going to the local store to get some caps and see how it goes after the replacement.

Comment

You need to use LOW ESR caps for the small filter caps.
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

^
          After replacing the bad caps, now my monitor working fine once again. No more hissing / buzzing noise. That bad cap was so bad that literally one of the legs just come right out as i sucked away the solder when the cap drop to the ground, and the legs still stays in the hole on the PCB.

Comment

Nice, was the original a CapXon KM by any chance?
            You left the small caps alone I guess?
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

You should have replaced EVERY cap on the Psu if you dont want to have to take it back apart in a few months.
              Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                You should have replaced EVERY cap on the Psu if you dont want to have to take it back apart in a few months.
                Agreed but only with known good low ESR caps, might be hard to find locally in the OP's location?

Comment

^
                  Yup, due to I don't have enuf time and urgently need the monitor back in service, so I left the small caps alone. And yes, your guess is right, the CapXon XM series .

Actually this is by far one of the easiest monitor that I had ever torn down. So I don't mind to replace those small ones other times around.

Yup, those those good quality low ESR capacitors are hard to get in my country nowadays. There a shopping complex in my country where it is specialized in selling electronics components. Back then I can get Nichicon HM(M) / Sanyo WG / Chemicon KZE / Panasonic FL. But now, all the shops carry whatever crap brand that i never ever heard of, like MaxCap brand ??
                  Sometime i will just go ahead and salvage some good quality and series of caps from mobo that I found in scrape collection.

Comment

Originally posted by lbwlow View Post
                    Yup, those those good quality low ESR capacitors are hard to get in my country nowadays. There a shopping complex in my country where it is specialized in selling electronics components. Back then I can get Nichicon HM(M) / Sanyo WG / Chemicon KZE / Panasonic FL. But now, all the shops carry whatever crap brand that i never ever heard of, like MaxCap brand ??

which is strange because one of the Panasonic Factories is in Malaysia making the FR series!!!
                    Last edited by stj; 03-05-2016, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      which is strange because one of the Panasonic Factories is in Malaysia making the FR series!!!
                      Hmm... I don't quite get what u trying to say... because IIRC I read somewhere over this forum that Panasonic didn't sell the FL series to retail? They only sell it to the OEM ?

Comment

not FL - FR
                        FR are the best for psu recap.

Comment

^
                          Never see those being sold before in my country

Comment

I guess the fault on the primary cap is quite common for this video; I got 3 Samsung 710N LCD's with the same symptom (LED and image on screen for a fraction of a second, then both LED and image turn off, then on again -> loop) and changing the 400V cap on the primary did the job for all 3.

I'm happy because they represent the first successful repairs I've done so far. Thanks to all the pros that post here in this wonderful forum!

Comment

Working...
                            X