Dell 2405FPW intermittent power fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2405FPW intermittent power fault

Hi, searched for a thread that might give me the answers, with out having to start a new thread, but found nothing posted that match the exact problem I am having.

Bought the monitor W/computer second hand a week ago. The first time I had the monitor powered on for less than 30 min with no problem. The next time it was powered up for about 45 min and I lost power. With in 2 or 3 seconds the monitor powered back on and worked for another 20 min until i shut it down. Over the next few days this problem became worse - losing power sooner and taking longer to come back on line. I had some luck aiming a high output fan directly at the vent slots in the back. But this just increased the time before it would power down, and even so that was only about 10-15 min by the time I received a new monitor I had ordered online.

I really like the 24" display, built in card reader, and other niceties of the 2405,and would like to fix it if possible. I have removed the back and done a good visual - no obvious bloated caps, hot spots on board or components. I attended an electronics trade school 30 years ago, and know enough to be able to follow instructions of how I might troubleshoot this problem, but don't now possess anywhere near the knowledge to even know where to start on this.

Also, this monitor has a separate board for the logic, inverter, and power supply. My hunch is the problem is with the power supply, (though that is at best a vague guess from something I may have learned 30 years ago). Regardless if I could determine which board was causing the problem, I would be willing to replace the whole board if that was available and made sense cost wise?

I probably have not given some critical info, and maybe have not asked the right questions, but I am pretty good at following instructions, and if anyone has the time, I will do whatever is needed on this end.

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give.

Re: Dell 2405FPW intermittent power fault

You gave plenty of info. That helps a lot. Normally it would be the power board in this situation. But the logic (main) board in this model also affects the on/off.
    Since you are just looking to find the board that is the culprit. Here's what I'd do.....
    Take a hair dryer and gently heat the power board and see if it turns off a lot faster. You don't want to hold it really close, but gently heat the board. If that board is the culprit it will probably turn off faster.

Now, just for a control.....gently heat the logic (main) board. If it still turns off at the old rate then you'll know it's the power board. I'd just try to make sure the hot air only goes towards one board at a time so you can definitely isolate the problem.

Please report back with the board model number and maybe we can help you find a decent replacement.

Comment

Thank you, Sir. That sounds like a plan, and i think with the help of some card stock i should be able to separate the boards functionally so i can warm one without heating the other too much. I will get back to you with the results, and thanks again.

Eric.

Comment

Apologies for necro-ing this thread, but was there ever a solution found? My 2405FPW is doing the self power-off/power-on thing as well.

Any pics of which board is which I can use to try the heat test? My issue definitely seems to be temperature related as it happens a lot more often during the day than at night.

Thx!

Comment

Originally posted by skiddz View Post
          Apologies for necro-ing this thread, but was there ever a solution found? My 2405FPW is doing the self power-off/power-on thing as well.

Any pics of which board is which I can use to try the heat test? My issue definitely seems to be temperature related as it happens a lot more often during the day than at night.

Thx!
          My DELL 2405FPW was having similar issues, this problem became worse day by day and one day just stopped working. I found the bulk cap lost its capacitance and one of the power FET got shorted. I ordered 4 from Ebay for $6.15. it's K3502 N-Chanel Mosfet.

Comment

I'll likely order caps while I'm in the guts, but don't want to just shotgun parts at it without knowing what's really failed/failing.

Comment

Working...
            X