Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Samsung Acquisition

Hi Badcaps folks,

A local individual is selling a 22 inch Samsung with the following output as shown below. There is a blue box in the upper right hand corner.

Bad cable perhaps? Bad connection?

Available for the princely sum of $20.
    Attached Files

Re: Possible Samsung Acquisition

Be careful... The model shown in the picture is a Dell, not a Samsung... I smell the old bait and switch.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Yep I agree with mocking bird that definitely looks more like a Dell than a Samsung

Not sure if that can be a bad connection because it would be a full strip right down the screen. I might be wrong though.
      Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
      Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

My oversight...actually advertised as a Dell.

Comment

I wouldn't pay $20 for it.
          Looks like a tricky fault to locate.
          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Bad panel or bad logic board. I'd suspect the logic board (or tcon if it has that separate), because when the defect is in the tab bonds of the panel the defect will span the entire screen, either horizontally or vertically - the display is driven as rows x columns. You could get several thin colored lines that stay on, half the screen white, or similar things, but i've never seen a panel making a blue box like the pic shows.

I'd pass, unless you have a similar one with a broken screen. Would be an idea to check how much a logic board/tcon costs tho.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thanks all for your input on this monitor for sale. At this point it looks like a challenge I don't think I wish to take on. Saturday I will investigate another candidate which looks a bit more straightforward.

Comment

osd setting on monitor maybe? seen a tv with that, an it was an id 10 t error! simple click changen osd settings got rid of it!

Comment

Hmmm. Maybe - I see the monitor does have an osd setting on another of the images in the ad.

Comment

Originally posted by t.j. View Post
                    osd setting on monitor maybe? seen a tv with that, an it was an id 10 t error! simple click changen osd settings got rid of it!
                    I've got the feeling that TJ gets a gold star for this one.

The monitor is across town, so I had a local buddy of mine swing by and buy it for me. The actual model number is a 2005FPW, and since it was advertised as a 22", I had him squeeze the owner for a few bucks. Total was $15.

Attached is a second photo from the Craigslist ad. If you look closely, the PIP source is 4Composite which I believe to be unplugged. It should say unassigned or something to that effect. I'm betting on an easy adjustment for a fix.
                    Attached Files

Comment

good score ! hope that all it was!
                      peace

Comment

Yeah, it has PIP/POP - and it is trying to show the second source in the small window.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Update on the Dell 2005FPW...there were a couple of issues going on. First was the aforementioned blue box where the PIP should be, and this was rectified in the first few minutes.

The second issue was the often-reported issue in other threads where there is a rolling, not unlike a TV's vertical hold. It went away after a few minutes, which made me think it was a caps problem.

I went into my bag of tricks and found replacement caps for most everything on the power card, with the exception of the 1uf 50v. For that, I used an FC 2.2uf 50v. If anyone thinks that was a bad move, please advise.

Well, the problem was mitigated somewhat but didn't go away completely. So upon further research, the culprit was previously identified with some bad caps on the logic card. So I did some esr testing, and saw that the 470uf caps were all registering about .50, while new FC caps were more like .03. So I changed the three of them, and I am pleased to report that the issue has not gone away completely.

I will test the usb functions most likely tomorrow but I have high hopes for that.

Next up: a flickering Samsung 22" being advertised down the street. He wants a lot but my pitch is getting better.

LAS.

Comment

Originally posted by LAS View Post
                            So I changed the three of them, and I am pleased to report that the issue has not gone away completely.
                            I think you mean "now". Otherwise, I don't think you would be pleased!

Good job. Looks like the ESR tester is starting to pay for itself.
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I stand corrected!! And I do like the esr meter. The absolute numbers are not so meaningful to me, but the values relative to the new ones I find to be more useful.

I brought up the service menu, and for the total time, it had a value of 161. Can anyone tell me how this number can be translated into something more like hours or days or ??

Comment

Probably number of turn on/off cycles. So not many at all!
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Normally it's POH, Power On Hours. If it's on/off cycles, that should be easy enough to check. Just turn it off and back on again and check the number

As for the numbers (ESR meter readout) not being really meaningful.. If you look up the datasheets for the original caps, that might help (if you can find them that is..). If they're low impedance/ESR types, they should list the ESR/Impedance values for the specific voltage/capacitance/can size. If they're way off of what they should be, the cap is obviously bad.

Searching for the datasheets is pretty easy. For example, if the cap in question is a Capxon KF series, just go to google and search for "capxon kf filetype:pdf".

The "filetype:pdf" makes google only show PDF files as results, so you usually don't have to dig through crappy websites to get to a download link. The results after the first 3-5 or so are useless most of the time though.

Example link
                                  https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...w.r_qf.,cf.osb

Comment

But 161 hours... that would even be covered under a 28 day return policy if it went wrong that quickly!

Comment

Might have gotten reset at some point.

When I was working on a Samsung LCD TV, it originally showed around 5900 power on hours.. after a factory reset it was 00000 again
                                      (even though a factory reset shouldn't affect the power on hours counter in the service menu if you ask me)

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post

Might have gotten reset at some point.

When I was working on a Samsung LCD TV, it originally showed around 5900 power on hours.. after a factory reset it was 00000 again
                                        (even though a factory reset shouldn't affect the power on hours counter in the service menu if you ask me)
                                        I've had Samsung TVs ranging from just 2000 to 10000 power on hours - they never last long!

Comment

Working...
                                        X