Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell 2005fpw; just the cable or is it more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2005fpw; just the cable or is it more?

Hi!
    I found a dandy Dell 2005FPW with USB ports and a line-level video input. I would use the thing but it won't power on. I opened it up and found the power button ribbon cable 3/4 severed. I reversed the ends and got the power led to blink and illuminate a "1" on the front panel prior to its going blank.

Is it the cable or is there an issue with my power supply unit?

Re: Dell 2005fpw; just the cable or is it more?

On a lot of the monitors I have worked on, I have noticed that the front panel switch does not need to be plugged in for the monitor to work.
    Let me try to describe what I have noticed. The monitor should resume the last state it was in. If the monitor was on and the AC cord was removed from the monitor, the monitor should power on the next time the power cord is connected.
    If the monitor is powered off by the front panel power switch, and then unplugged. When you plug the AC cord back in the monitor will be off until you push the front power switch.
    By accident I found out that I could power on a monitor with a defective front panel switch, or with the switch missing. It involved causing a voltage to go low, or to ground momentarily.
    Somewhere in this forum it's described on how to trick a monitor to turn on and off without the front panel switch hooked up. Very simply it describes to use a resistor of a very high ohm value, with one end of the resistor hooked to ground and then tickling each pin of the front panel switch with the other end of the resistor to see if the monitor will come on. If you do not get the monitor to come on, gradually reduce the resistance of the resistor.
    What I have noticed on the front panel switch is that one pin will have a voltage of somewhere between roughly between 2 and 3 volts DC may be a little more? as the power switch is pushed that voltage will go low or very close to ground until the switch is released.
    That was a very lengthy explanation or your question, Very simply try the monitor without the ribbon to the front panel switch in and see what happens
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Would ground, I assume, be one of the other contacts in the connector socket for the ribbon?

If I am able to do the on-off shuffle with the ribbon cable reversed and a suitable switch circuit reinstated I might be looking at a bad power supply. I might try the resistor trick and see if the behavior is altered.

If the power supply is bad is there an issue endemic to the 2005's? I see no visible damage to the caps onboard but that isn't, of course, totally conclusive.

Regardless I'll try the trick with the resistor.
      Thankies.
      KT

Comment

Originally posted by kturnerga View Post
        Would ground, I assume, be one of the other contacts in the connector socket for the ribbon?

If I am able to do the on-off shuffle with the ribbon cable reversed and a suitable switch circuit reinstated I might be looking at a bad power supply. I might try the resistor trick and see if the behavior is altered.

If the power supply is bad is there an issue endemic to the 2005's? I see no visible damage to the caps onboard but that isn't, of course, totally conclusive.

Regardless I'll try the trick with the resistor.
        Thankies.
        KT
        Trying to trick the front panel switch, will not work if you do not have proper voltages on the rest of the boards.
        There other things you should try to verify first, I am sure there will be suggestions,
        If you could include some photos. Using managed attachments get as close to 2000x2000 pixels and as clear and detailed as possible of all of the boards [front and back]
        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Working...
        X