Samsung 23" LCD P2350 Inverter Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 23" LCD P2350 Inverter Repair

I bought this dead monitor on spec on Ebay.

Found the two tiny 8-pin SMD dual complementary AM4512C backlight inverter driver mosfets shorted all terminals. No other problems visible or measured. Removed the inverter transformer, and it seemed oddly wired to me but I couldn't fault it.

No replacement mosfets obviously available in Australia, so I bought 2 IRF540N and 2 IRF9540N discrete mosfets from Jaycar, & soldered them in, held only by the drain lead. Luckily there was space for them on the solder side of the board where the originals were.

The monitor has now been running for 5 days, no problems at all. Pics attached.

The originals were rated at 1W and 2W per mosfet, the replacements 130W and 140W per mosfet.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung 23" LCD P2350 Inverter Repair

It doesnt have to be pretty, it just has to work. Those mosfet's dont need a heatsink?
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Very clever fix!! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Those replacement MOSFETs are HUGE! That's a good thing, though; you definitely won't be seeing them burn out again. More likely the power supply will melt before these go bad .

Comment

iv'e got the same model... my problem is the backlight shuts off... i replaced all caps that i suspected, but still i get the same results... help

Comment

oh almost forgot... logic board also overheats....

Comment

That's one ugly repair, but I'm impressed. Nice job!
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by k0i_ View Post
                oh almost forgot... logic board also overheats....
                How was it determined that the board overheats? Do you smell anything burning, or does anything feel hot? You may have to replace the whole board but in a 23 inch LCD, it may not be worth it.
                The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

I am having an issue with my monitor (samsung p2350) Turning off every 5 minutes, and turning back on a minute later. Very annoying. All the caps look good. Any sugestions, greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by whistlergonewild View Post
                    I am having an issue with my monitor (samsung p2350) Turning off every 5 minutes, and turning back on a minute later. Very annoying. All the caps look good. Any sugestions, greatly appreciated.
                    I would suspect a problem with a solder joint, possibly around the SMPS transformer. I would try adding fresh solder to that area, see if anything changes.
                    For the monitor to shut off and restart one or more of the voltages to the logic board has to be changing, It's probably time to get the voltmeter out and try to identify which one.
                    Pictures would really be helpful; a good top down shot of all the boards high detail without a flash would be the best, using managed attachments.
                    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

ok, so I tried to resolder the board, and it is still turning on and off. I find that it is shutting off sooner and now taking longer to turn back on. I have included some photos for you to view. Do you see anything wrong with any components??

This is the Samsung 2350, IP Power Board BN44-00297A
                      Attached Files

Comment

Im now having even more difficulties. The monitor now only stays on for a minute and stays off for 4 min before automatically turning on again. This is reverse to how it was previously.

Comment

Replace the five "Sam Young" midsize caps on the board and then try it again. These caps have gone bad for me in the past without bulging.
                          They look like they are 1000uF 10V caps. I'd replace these with 1000uF 16V's - if they will fit.
                          Last edited by Dgtech; 04-12-2011, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Check the inverter transformer secondaries. I must have around 1.21Koms each.

Comment

Ok. So I hooked up a little 12V CPU fan to cool off the heat sink. It WORKED, the fan has cooled the heat sink and it doesn't turn off the monitor.

The only problem is the fan is really loud. Im thinking of putting some new silicone glue or thermal compound stuff behind the voltage regulator to see if this will help.

?Besides new glue, or thermal compound is there something else besides the fan that will disipate the heat better so my monitor will stop shutting down?

Comment

Did you ever replace the capacitors? If not, this may be the reason the thing is heating up so much. If the regulator is heating up then it's having to release excess energy in the form of heat. You can put a fan on it and keep putting band - aid's on the original problem however, it will pop up again.

Comment

Thanks DGtech,
                                  Thanks for the quick reply. I had only replaced one cap but with no real results. The only reason is that I live in the mountains, and we don't really have anywhere to buy caps. I just noticed that I can buy them off this website so I may go along that route. I only need eight of them.

2x25v 1000uf
                                  3x10v 1000uf
                                  2x25v 47uf
                                  1x16v 100uf

Comment

Replaced all five of the 1000uf and the two 47uf....still the same problem. Could it possibly be the voltage regulator itself? If so how do i find this part number or what the rating is and where do i buy it?

Comment

Originally posted by whistlergonewild View Post
                                      Could it possibly be the voltage regulator itself?
                                      On most lcd monitors, there are no voltage regulators on the power/inverter board. The voltage regulators are normally used on the logic board to convert 5V DC down to 3.3V, 2.5V and/or 1.8V DC.

In post #15, you talk about a small fan cooling off the heatsink. What heatsink are you referring to?
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I believe what I am talking about is the heatsink and voltage regulator.

You can see what I a calling the regulator attached to the heatsink. I believe it is inscripted with:
                                        f DK16
                                        S
                                        65R
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X