Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitors and audio distortion

Bad capacitors in audio

I don't know if this is considered on topic - this site is called badcaps, but is mainly about electrolytic capacitors causing malfunction in power circuits due to high ESR. I didn't find any references to "Bateman", or any likely hits with "distortion", so maybe this has not been discussed, or is so familiar to everyone that it's never discussed.

In audio circuits capacitors of all sorts can produce distortion. Ceramic capacitors, as a class, have a particularly bad reputation, but this seems to be largely mythical. I don't know how audible these effects are (most claims are subjective), but some very detailed measurements were made in the early 1990s, finding distortion due to capacitors to be significant and measurable. A series of articles was published by C Bateman: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2610442/Capacitor-Sound . Identified as myths: all ceramic capacitors distort; dielectric absorption causes (audio) smearing and compresses dynamic range; polypropylene is an efficient material; ESR of a capacitor has a fixed value.

The 1992 results suggested that the lowest-distortion types up to 10nF were C0G ceramic (not all ceramic), extended foil/polystyrene or extended foil/polypropylene, with the lead-out wires soldered to the electrodes. PET capacitors are very variable, often with large distortion. Metallised film should be avoided. A particular 100nF ceramic disc capacitor type had about the worst distortion. Specific capacitor ranges were mentioned; I don't know if there is more recent information on current types.

Electrolytics distorted more, varying from one make to another and with bias voltage. Tantalum beads were 10 times worse than aluminium. For all these measurement absolute distortion was not a large figure; 0.004% (for a single capacitor) was considered very bad. Shunting an electrolytic with a lower-distortion type of lower capacitance produced insignificant benefit. The author considered that use of a 100 microfarad electrolytic in the signal path of an audio amplifier was never a good idea.

ESR was not considered in detail; one test was made on 100 microfarad/10V electrolytics with ESR from 0.012 to 0.5 ohms. The low-ESR one produced nearly twice as much distortion with DC bias, 10 times more when unbiased (unbiased always produces less distortion).

I won't go on, the articles speak for themselves. If anyone is interested the topic can be discussed further; there's not a lot I can say, other than parroting Bateman.

Maybe the badcaps organisation can branch out into selling certified low-distortion capacitors?

Re: Capacitors and audio distortion

It should be clarified that you, and the article author, are talking about audio signal coupling capacitors, not in other areas of amp circuits like the power supply.

Nothing new to discuss really, audio purists use film & foil input coupling cap if any, and split rail power supplies so there is no need for an audio output coupling cap. Low budget amp designs without split rail PSU have an electrolytic output cap because an appropriate uF value film cap would be huge and costly.

COG ceramic don't fit either role due to their low values, though I suppose you might make an EQ boost using them but purists often want to avoid this too... the best sounding capacitor is no capacitor.

Comment

"... about audio signal coupling capacitors, not in other areas of amp circuits like the power supply."

Yes, for audio circuits not PSUs.

"Nothing new to discuss really..."

Not new as such in a 1992 article... But there are things there that surprised me. I had assumed that all wound capacitors were essentially equivalent; the article reported that film capacitors were a lot worse than other types, and also varied very much even within the same batch, with some having very low distortion, others many times higher. Tantalum beads are ten times worse than wet Al.

The article also quantifies and justifies some things, and debunks others. Ceramic capacitors are not inherently bad, though some types are. Bypassing electrolytics does not help distortion.

"the best sounding capacitor is no capacitor"

Audio ICs make it ever easier to avoid capacitors in the signal path.

Most of the information is probably of most interest to the audio fanatic, and largely inaudible.

Comment

The 1992 results suggested that the lowest-distortion types up to 10nF were C0G ceramic (not all ceramic), extended foil/polystyrene or extended foil/polypropylene, with the lead-out wires soldered to the electrodes. PET capacitors are very variable, often with large distortion. Metallised film should be avoided. A particular 100nF ceramic disc capacitor type had about the worst distortion. Specific capacitor ranges were mentioned; I don't know if there is more recent information on current types.
        COG (= NPO) tend to be low value as ceramic caps go. X7R goes somewhat higher, but the temperature and voltage coefficients can be significant (and probably the distortion is higher than COG/NPO). Z5U and Y5V are higher in nominal value, but the temperature and voltage coefficients are horrible, and I think the distortion is much worse.

Does "PET" mean polyester (polyethylene terephthalate, IIRC)? I think polystyrene is getting hard to find - un-PC. Polypropylene is fairly common, I think. How did polycarbonate and polysulfone do? I think those latter two are fairly available. Sources ... look into Wima, Roederstein, and Evox-Rifa. That metalized film performs differently from film-foil is interesting.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

"How did polycarbonate and polysulfone do?"
          AFAIR polycarbonate did well, as did Polyphenylene Sulphide, if that's the same.

Some more from the article, which will answer some questions:

If you read the article (recommended), abbreviations much used are
          Polyphenylene Sulphide - PPS
          Polypropylene film - PP
          Polyethylene Terephthalate - PET; metallised PET are discussed extensively
          Polystyrene - PS

Foil/film capacitors that make their connections via extended foil were preferred to types that used a different method: "All metallised film and many foil and film capacitors use a 'Schoop' metal spray end connection to connect the electrodes to the lead-out wires"; this has been found to sometimes lead to an undesirable non-ohmic connection.

"Having measured several hundred metallised PET capacitors, I found many with extremely low distortion if measured without DC bias. I also found far too many showing very bad distortions, both DC biased and unbiased, yet metallised PET capacitors continue to be used in the signal paths of high quality audio amplifier designs."

Electrolytic capacitor myths:
          - High ESR capacitors degarde sound quality, low ESR is always best.
          The article didn't systematically make ESR-related tests, but in the single test that was made low ESR correlated with very much higher distortion
          - Electrolytics are highly inductive at audio frequency
          Not so
          - Polar electrolytics should be biased to half rated voltage to minimise distortion
          Not so
          Electrolytic capacitor distortion is mostly third harmonic
          Not so

I hope this continues to be of interest

Comment

By the way, if anyone's interested the series of articles describe in great detail the design and construction of a 1kHz sinewave generator with distortion better than 1ppm (0.0001%). Circuit diagrams and PCBs for the generator and an associated very sharp notch filter included. Not a project for a spare evening, but perfectly feasible.

Comment

A note of caution: the work I'm citing, new to me, is 20 years old. The problems with, in particular, metallised film capacitors, varied from unit to unit, and were not characteristic of the type of construction; the best were very low-distortion. One would hope that manufacturers would have taken this on board, and that the method of connecting leads, or whatever other cause there was, has long been rectified, and distortion no longer a problem. On the other hand, you'd expect them to have got electrolytics right by now... It would be interesting if anyone knows of more recent work than the articles cited at this level of detail.

Similarly the low-distortion oscillator. Maybe some components are no longer available, possibly there are better ones, but the detailed comments on ultra-low-distortion design (for example, the care in choosing resistor types) is still relevant.

Comment

Working...
              X