• Show
Clear All

Re: Hotpoint FFA47X Fridge Freezer

in series - yes.
    but with both contacts.

Comment

WOW! Now I'm confused.

I'll take some more detailed photos of the board. Part or whole? That is the question.

I had a fright earlier and am concerned I am wasting my time and everyone else's.

The wiring from the PCB to the display had broken through. I repaired this temporarily and bought a replacement.

I need to check chronology of when that cable arrived. I'll explain why.

I ordered the wrong cable and it didn't fit. It's s bit difficult to order the correct parts when you don't have a parts diagram. As of yesterday, I now have a parts diagram.

I therefore needed to do a more permanent repair in the PCB to display cable.

I plugged in the cable today and realised it was the wrong way around.

The worry now is did I actually blow the display when the PCB exploded.
      I've got it plugged in now and the fans aren't working. Did I perhaps not Okug it in correctly before?

When I say plugged in wrong I mean the colours at intermediate connector is wrong. Perhaps it makes no difference.

If the triacs power the fans, and the fans aren't working, why?

At what point do I throw the towel in and give up?
      Last edited by Rhothgar; 07-07-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I am just checked over all the lead type resistors in the board and they are all fine.

Just noticed that the reed switch appears closed. Reading back through the topic stj states it should be open. This may be why the fans and lights are now not coming on perhaps?

EDIT: reed switch fine continuity when magnet near and loses continuity when magnet removed.
        Last edited by Rhothgar; 07-07-2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

what is the part number on the 8pin eeprom on the top of the board?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhothgar View Post
            It's good to know that the wiring may be unaffected but I take it you didn't look back at Post 71 as previously suggested!!!
            I did take a look at that why do you ask?

Comment

"EDIT: reed switch fine continuity when magnet near and loses continuity when magnet removed." That is fine.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I would concentrate on when you blew out the land on the board. Where does the run go to on the top side of the board. Instead of reading through all this post . Can you state the first problem you had before you blew you the land? When you blew out the land any component attached to that land could of been taken out. It would be dependent on what is the weakest point of the design.

Comment

What's a land please?

Comment

The copper trace you have bridged with wire is my guess.

Comment

eeprom part number?
                      i need to get the pinout so we can check for the vcc supply.

Comment

Sorry stj. Been out most of the day.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Rhothgar; 07-08-2015, 02:53 PM.

Comment

thanks.

look at the datasheet, it shows the pin functions.
                          if you can safely do it, meter the voltage between VCC and GND

lets see if the chips are actually getting power!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                            The copper trace you have bridged with wire is my guess.
                            Yes that is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              thanks.

Good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                thanks.

Cool. OK. Tell me where a ground is on the board.

If I out my wellies on, am I right in saying I cannot get a shock providing I do not lean on fridge casing with another part of my body?

Board is high up so I'll need to stand on a chair (wooden by the way).

Presumably meter on 600VAC. Touch ground first when I know where it is then probe chips.

As I say if you can tell me where a suitable ground is then I'm good to go.

Also, need to be careful not to blow EEPROM as I obviously won't be able to reprogramme it!

Comment

i would use ground on the chip its self says in the pdf just be really carefull probes dont slip just wait for someone else to confirm though.

Comment

i would use ground on the chip its self says in the pdf just be really carefull probes dont slip just wait for someone else to confirm though.
                                    Indeed. I was thinking I could use GND on the chip but I don't want to blow this chip up. I've no idea if I can use that ground.

Also looking at the data sheet this chip doesn't appear to match. The PDIP chip has a semi-circular indent in one edge but my chip has a semi-circular indent AND a circle indent too!

Check ST website and found an M93C86W ( that's a 33 page manual so not sure if this matters. Same voltage range though).

Comment

im sure stj will be along to advise shortly.

Comment

im sure stj will be along to advise shortly.
                                        Got to be said, you guys are genii.

Comment

notches, circle in the corner etc are the same, just different makers using different markings.

meter both pins on the chip, and set the meter to 10vdc
                                          i'm expecting (hoping) for either 3.3v or 5v

you WONT get a shock from the chip even if you stuck your finger on it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X