Hotpoint FFA47X Fridge Freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hotpoint FFA47X Fridge Freezer

Here is something online that may help you in your repair. http://www.appliancerepair.net/refri...-contents.html

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
      Here is something online that may help you in your repair. http://www.appliancerepair.net/refri...-contents.html

I've seen that somewhere before. Perhaps on this forum I cannot remember but thanks for bringing it to my attention anyway. Keeps all info in one place if it gets posted as a post in a thread.

My issues are more fundamental at the moment in that the PCB is not working so I'm a long way off solving this it feels.

I was wondering yesterday if any wires could have melted near to the PCB slot which accepts the PCB.

For the life of me I cannot see how to take any of the casings off.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhothgar View Post
        I've seen that somewhere before. Perhaps on this forum I cannot remember but thanks for bringing it to my attention anyway. Keeps all info in one place if it gets posted as a post in a thread.

My issues are more fundamental at the moment in that the PCB is not working so I'm a long way off solving this it feels.

I was wondering yesterday if any wires could have melted near to the PCB slot which accepts the PCB.

For the life of me I cannot see how to take any of the casings off.
        Most likely the problem will be on the board as that is more fragile then wire with insulation on it.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
          Most likely the problem will be on the board as that is more fragile then wire with insulation on it.
          It's good to know that the wiring may be unaffected but I take it you didn't look back at Post 71 as previously suggested!!!

Comment

Guys. I've found the technical manual online for the fridge. It's taken a lot of rooting around and I have managed to find a login and password for indecent, ariston, etc. service site.

However, I do not want to post copyrighted material if it breaks the forum rules.

What to do?

Having read through some pertinent pages in the manual, it seems that neither the freezer or fridge air sensors are replaceable. So if I happen to have blown them when the PCB blew up, then I need to end my quest here rather than continue to waste time on it.

The SMD ceramic resistors, still didn't arrive today, so thank you RS Online for letting me down two days on the trot.

From the tech manual, I can see that J3 on the PCB receives the information from the 3 sensors. Presumably this is just a case of metering for Ohms here so see if I get a reading that looks relevant?

Comment

pm me the details to get the manual.

Comment

Just managed to desolder a 103 SMD resistor. It gives 10 Ohms. Shouldn't it be 10,000 Ohms?

10 x (10*3)?

Comment

Just managed to desolder a 103 SMD resistor. It gives 10 Ohms. Shouldn't it be 10,000 Ohms?

10 x (10*3)?
                  I thought 103 was 10k ohms?

Comment

10 x (10*3)?
                    Yes it should be 10000 ohms. If this board was made in China they could of gotten it wrong in two ways. They could of mis-marked the resistor and installed them anyway or the resistor is the wrong resistor and it should be a 10K ohm. I have run into this problem with color coding where the resistor color code was different from what the resistor was. The resistor was actually correct but had the wrong code marking.

Comment

The crux of this issue appears to be my measurement instruments.

On the board it measured open circuit user Peak Atlas ESR+ 70.

Off the board, the Peak states 10.0 whereas my Precision Gold PG017 DMM states OL if set on the 2K scale and 9.96 on the 20K scale.

I found an online manual for my multimeter and it doesn't explain the scales but to my mind if it doesn't read on a low scale but does in the high scale then it must be over the lower value.

Does anyone have a similar meter and can confirm?

The resistor is not 10 x (10*3). The code stands for 10 with 3 zeros after it according to a website alled mds975. After it all it amounts to the same but it is an easier way to think of it.

Comment

The only theoretical exmplanation I can think of is the resistor has huge parasitic capacity so it lowers the ESR with high-frequency current applied.

But as Occams razor dictates, it most likely just measures BS.
                        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

On the board it measured open circuit user Peak Atlas ESR+ 70.

Off the board, the Peak states 10.0 whereas my Precision Gold PG017 DMM states OL if set on the 2K scale and 9.96 on the 20K scale.
                          that's fine.

the peak ESR meter is only designed to read upto a couple of ohms - after that any capacitor is considered totally fucked.

the maplin meter is working fine.
                          the resistor is 10k
                          the 20k scale gave you 9.96k which is within the 1% spec.
                          the 2k scale wont work because you cant read a 10k part with the meter set to only read upto 2k

btw, i just grabbed the manual - so i'll start reading through it.
                          re-upped for others to read.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            that's fine.

the peak ESR meter is only designed to read upto a couple of ohms - after that any capacitor is considered totally fucked.

the maplin meter is working fine.
                            the resistor is 10k
                            the 20k scale gave you 9.96k which is within the 1% spec.
                            the 2k scale wont work because you cant read a 10k part with the meter set to only read upto 2k

btw, i just grabbed the manual - so i'll start reading through it.
                            re-upped for others to read.
                            I thought my obs were right but needed reassurance as I am new to all this.

That's the correct file that you have 'upped'. I may be worth sequesting to another area of the forum also for future reference and also grabbing all the models it covers - not just FFA47X.

Useful resource, eh?

Bamboozled by the resistor as it read zero on the board whereas the other 103's read 10,000 Ohms!

It's getting swapped out now it is off for a new one this afternoon.

Comment

now looking at the wiring diagram,
                              there are 2 thermal fuses - but it does not say if they are self-resetting or if they have a button on them.
                              so check those just incase.

and now i know the wiring i'll have another look at the pcb foto's

Comment

now looking at the wiring diagram,
                                there are 2 thermal fuses - but it does not say if they are self-resetting or if they have a button on them.
                                so check those just incase.

and now i know the wiring i'll have another look at the pcb foto's
                                No way of checking them. They are sealed in a block but interestingly I get no continuity but not sure which wires to be checking. Two yellow. Two blue. Manual States two yellow two brown I think.

Got resistors from RS. The 103's are marked as 1002's so I guess they are the same if you add two zeros into 100 it gives 10000 and they measure 9.96 on 20K scale.

Comment

Damn!

Just desolder end the one which measured 1000 Ohm on the board and it measures 10000 Ohms off.
                                  So it would seem that the reason the display does not light up anymore is nothing to do with those resistors.

As the triacs were higher rated, are we absolutely 110% sure that they couolld not be causing the display to light up?

I'm at a serious crossroads now. Missus is back off holiday and she's looking to buy a new fridge! Don't know how much longer I can convince her that I can get it working again.

Comment

triacs are for driving the fan / lights.

that 10k that read 0 on the board - sounds like something in parallel with it may be shorted - follow the tracks and see what's there.

Comment

Using ESR meter to check the resistance is not going to work, for example, if there is cap connect in parallel with resistor, what do you think the the ESR meter is going to show?
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                        Using ESR meter to check the resistance is not going to work, for example, if there is cap connect in parallel with resistor, what do you think the the ESR meter is going to show?

Absolutely no idea other than not the right figure and that's an educated guess based in the fact that you are highlighting it to me.

I am new to this so I have no idea how I would know if something is in parallel on a PCB.

I assume if in series the components would be on the same track.

Comment

triacs are for driving the fan / lights.

that 10k that read 0 on the board - sounds like something in parallel with it may be shorted - follow the tracks and see what's there.
                                          If I follow the tracks wouldn't that be in series?

Comment

Working...
                                          X