This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter upgrades

btw, the zif sockets are crap, i damaged a few contacts in mine by putting caps in them with bits of solder on the leads.
    you have to clean the wires before you put stuff in the tester.
    those sockets are designed for chips with flat pins afterall.

luckily i have seen the sockets for 99p maybe even for 2.
    one original from 3m or Aries costs as much as the whole tester!

Comment

Thanks for the updates and video i will get back to re programming mine asap and give it a try out.

Comment

done it yet?

Comment

No sorry but tomorrow im at home all day so will certainly make time, not sure if your in the uk at the minute stj but been enjoying the sun/bbq/beers lol making the most of this nice weather its about 32c at the minute back to thunder storms tommorow i guess.

Comment

tomorrow is supposed to be worse.
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743?day=1

i stay inside with the beers - and hope no psu's fail.
            my main pc is very unhappy - exhaust feels like a hair dryer!

Comment

Met office weather for my postcode is really heavy rain plus storms lol well if its nice its a bonus i guess.

Comment

i want that rain!

Comment

Trying to piece together the sources, in post #466 you posted "GM328x ESR tester (SVN684).zip" which contains:
                  changed src:
                  make_frequency.c
                  Makefile (8MHz)
                  Makefile (16MHz)
                  Transistortester.h

The changes in make_frequency.c where those what's described here or anything more?
                  http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgea...772/#msg985772

Then in this post #2234 on eevblog is this one: "ComponentTester-trendy-1.23m(GM328x).zip"
                  Which contains:
                  changed source:
                  config.h
                  config_328.h

Is that it or did you modify some more files?
                  Or that together with this should be it?
                  https://github.com/svn2github/transi...Software/trunk

I did manage to build it on my ContOS7 machine, used this repository for avr-gcc if anyone is curios:
                  rpm -Uvh http://repo.iotti.biz/CentOS/7/noarc...7-1.noarch.rpm
                  rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-LUX
                  yum install avr-gcc avr-binutils avr-libc

That repository does provide avrdude v6.1 also, I compiled the latest from source though before I found this repository...
                  The version of avr-gcc is 4.9.2 which might create a bit bigger files than 4.8.x from what I've read though but I managed to compile both the 8MHz and 16MHz firmware with it.
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

trendy is totally different firmware from the madiras guy on that forum.

as for the make_frequency.c - that is not exactly a patch - it's a heavily modded version of the old frequency generator that is no longer in the standard firmware

Comment

Not sure I follow now, but so the one you posted on eevblog: "ComponentTester-trendy-1.23m(GM328x).zip"
                      Is that not the same source as has been used for the ones you have posted here on Badcaps?
                      If so what is the SVN URL for the ones you used?
                      Would be fun to be able to play around with some stuff on my own but gotta know where to start at least

Can you list the general positives and negatives with the different firmwares in your view?
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

A lot has happened in the month it took for my banggod kit to arrive!

I decided to try and assemble the stock kit to make sure it worked..

Bloody hell it worked 1st time!

I didn't bother trying to read every post on the past 10 pages as it seemed to be a lot of troubleshooting.

I saw a pic in post 273
                        I take it thats what I need to do to hookup my usb programmer?

I have a 12mhz crystal sat here, I didn't get anything else yet as I wanted to make sure it worked.

Can you post up some links on how to use this programmer and what file I will need to flash to take the 12mhz crystal and your updated software.

Thanks

Oh and it came with a CBB22 cap, is that to calibrate it?

The test leads are a bit shit tbh, they had high resistance due to the piss poor job of connecting the cables but hopefully they will do the job for now after stripping them back.

Comment

post a foto of the board - not the case

12MHz is no good btw, only 8 or 16MHz

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                            Not sure I follow now, but so the one you posted on eevblog: "ComponentTester-trendy-1.23m(GM328x).zip"
                            Is that not the same source as has been used for the ones you have posted here on Badcaps?
                            If so what is the SVN URL for the ones you used?
                            Would be fun to be able to play around with some stuff on my own but gotta know where to start at least

Can you list the general positives and negatives with the different firmwares in your view?
                            o.k. there are 2 firmwares from 2 different guys.
                            the one i posted here is from Karl Heinze Kubbeler
                            https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/248078

the one i posted at EEVblog is from Markus AKA Madires

it's personal opinion, but Karl's firmware is a lot more useable.

as for that frequency generator file,
                            the K firmware had a fixed set of frequency's you could select.
                            but they werent much use.

after i spoke to Karl, he re-wrote it so you could dial-in any frequency - but it was very hard to use.

so i took the older code and replaced the pre-defined frequency's with usefull ones.
                            (mains timebase etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              post a foto of the board - not the case

12MHz is no good btw, only 8 or 16MHz
                              yeah it's 16, been one of those days!

It is this kit
                              http://www.banggood.com/DIY-M12864-G...-p-997023.html

Comment

o.k. - i'll post a test-build in a day or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  o.k. - i'll post a test-build in a day or 2.
                                  Thanks (is that cap I stuck on the front for the calibration?)

Comment

@vinceroger69 & GoNzO

test versions.
                                    the bangood ones probably work, but you need to let me know the best contrast value.

the old text display one has 2 possible wirings, so i made both - vince - let me know which one works when your ready.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GoNz0 View Post
                                      Thanks (is that cap I stuck on the front for the calibration?)
                                      Yes, there is a video on YouTube that shows the tester being calibrated with a similar cap that had been provided.

Not wanting to miss out, my kit arrived a couple of days ago.

Any idea what 10-bit PWM is for ?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

TFT - i have someone dropping one of those off to be built with extra bits soon.

question, did you add the battery cable connector? i'v not seen it in the picture of parts - i thought the cable was soldered to the board?
                                        (i was going to add a molex header anyway )

Comment

10bit PWM is exactly that, it can generate a PWM signal (5v) with 1024 steps controlled by the encoder.

handy maybe for testing dimmers or servo's

Comment

Working...
                                          X