• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help needed getting an ESR meter...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401011373901

Comment

Still does not make it any good measuring in curcuit, which means its utter useless.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Dear Joe:
        --I use a kit built and modified Bob Parker blue. Mine is modified to accept standard 5mm Fluke Type test leads. I am also able to connect an SMD tweezer which can be helpful at times. The Bob Parker Blue is very accurate as opposed to the $15 HK cheapie, which oddly enough is very accurate for capacitance.
        --Measuring ESR in circuit, as with measuring resistance in circuit, is sometimes determinative and sometimes not, on a case by case basis. See pics.
        Cheers!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
          Still does not make it any good measuring in curcuit, which means its utter useless.
          For the AVR tester use of the menu can get you to this...

"C+ESR@TP1:3 The additional function ”C+ESR@TP1:3” selects a stand-alone capacity mea-
          surement with ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) measurement at the test pins TP1 and
          TP3. Capacities from 2 μF up to 50 mF can be measured. Because the measurement volt-
          age is only about 300 mV , in most cases the capacitor can be measured ”in circuit” without
          previous disassembling."

It really depends on the circuit the cap is part of.
          Last edited by SteveNielsen; 11-10-2015, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Yes because it uses different measurement method.

ESR Micro, originally based on the Blue meter as well, uses short pulses thus inductors don't affect it at all. The only disadvantage is - because of how it also measures capacitance - that small caps (10 uF and less) show higher capacity, about 10 % or so. Also when reading small capacities in curcuit, especially things like display signal boards, you should take into consideration all the ceramic caps in parallel can achieve capacities of tens or even hundres uF in there. While when measuring VRM, 100 uF under CPU socket does not affect those 10 mF at all…

BTW I have the feeling Mikhail has lowered his prices, at least in roubles though. So if I finally get response from him, I should have it even cheaper next time. Especially when I'd like to get rather big batch next time. I think 70 USD incl. shipping is possible (at the moment 89.99 on Bonanza but there are fees included)…so it will be half the price of Atlas for the same functionality, with somewhat wider range of both ESR and capacity.

Also his version of that german meter went down as well, I think about 30 bucks may be possible as well.
            Last edited by Behemot; 11-10-2015, 08:16 AM.
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

I wonder what sequence is used for determining what the part is when in default mode? I've seen caps test as one or more diodes in circuit and out of circuit they test fine. Could that be because the tester sensed diodes in circuit first?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                For the AVR tester use of the menu can get you to this...

"C+ESR@TP1:3 The additional function ”C+ESR@TP1:3” selects a stand-alone capacity mea-
                surement with ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) measurement at the test pins TP1 and
                TP3. Capacities from 2 μF up to 50 mF can be measured. Because the measurement volt-
                age is only about 300 mV , in most cases the capacitor can be measured ”in circuit” without
                previous disassembling."

It really depends on the circuit the cap is part of.
                is there any instructions how to get into this menu setting?

Comment

I wonder what sequence is used for determining what the part is when in default mode? I've seen caps test as one or more diodes in circuit and out of circuit they test fine. Could that be because the tester sensed diodes in circuit first?
                  Yes. Unless somebody adds function selector, the device is very limited in use. It will still be somewhat limited because of measuring technique (I think it uses frequency current?), but it still could somewhat compete with many lower-priced LCR metres as those are even much worse.

Now it just can not and specialized metres are always better. Or for some 50 % more than Atlas you can get Applent device which is in different league (high-res touchscreen, very wide ranges, integrated memory and USB connectivity).

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                    is there any instructions how to get into this menu setting?
                    Yes, in the documentation (attached).

Optional menu functions for the ATmega328
                    If the menu function is selected, the tester start a selection menu after a long key press (>500ms)
                    for additional functions. This function is also available for other processors with at least 32K flash
                    memory. The selectable functions are shown in row two of a 2-line display or as marked function
                    in row 3 of a 4-line display. The previous and next function is also shown in row 2 and 4 of the
                    display in this case. After a longer wait time without any interaction the program leave the menu
                    and returns to the normal transistor tester function. With a short key press the next selection can
                    be shown. A longer key press starts the shown or marked function. After showing the last function
                    ”switch off”, the first function will be shown next.
                    If your tester has also the rotary pulse encoder installed, you can call the menu with the additional
                    functions also with a fast rotation of the encoder during the result of a previous test is shown. The
                    menu functions can be selected with slow rotation of the encoder in every direction. Starting of the
                    selected menu function can only be done with a key press. Within a selected function parameters
                    can be selected with slow rotation of the encoder. A fast rotarion of the encoder will return to the
                    selection menu.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yes. Unless somebody adds function selector, the device is very limited in use. It will still be somewhat limited because of measuring technique (I think it uses frequency current?), but it still could somewhat compete with many lower-priced LCR metres as those are even much worse.

Now it just can not and specialized metres are always better. Or for some 50 % more than Atlas you can get Applent device which is in different league (high-res touchscreen, very wide ranges, integrated memory and USB connectivity).
                      Rotary selector is not necessary to get and use the menu, it makes it easier though.

A specialized meter should do a better job I would think in general. For the price the AVR testers are pretty damn cool.

Comment

Yes, in the documentation (attached).

Optional menu functions for the ATmega328
                        If the menu function is selected, the tester start a selection menu after a long key press (>500ms)
                        for additional functions. This function is also available for other processors with at least 32K flash
                        memory. The selectable functions are shown in row two of a 2-line display or as marked function
                        in row 3 of a 4-line display. The previous and next function is also shown in row 2 and 4 of the
                        display in this case. After a longer wait time without any interaction the program leave the menu
                        and returns to the normal transistor tester function. With a short key press the next selection can
                        be shown. A longer key press starts the shown or marked function. After showing the last function
                        ”switch off”, the first function will be shown next.
                        If your tester has also the rotary pulse encoder installed, you can call the menu with the additional
                        functions also with a fast rotation of the encoder during the result of a previous test is shown. The
                        menu functions can be selected with slow rotation of the encoder in every direction. Starting of the
                        selected menu function can only be done with a key press. Within a selected function parameters
                        can be selected with slow rotation of the encoder. A fast rotarion of the encoder will return to the
                        selection menu.
                        Thanks for the information.

Comment

A specialized meter should do a better job I would think in general. For the price the AVR testers are pretty damn cool.
                          Yes because that guy made it open-source so every last chinese fool just hammers that in a garage. I would never buy those cheap craps. As I said, some of the better ones may be usefull for some things, but a combination of ESR Micro and digital multimeter makes its use limited to some induction measurements and very small caps measurement. Everything else is just redundant for me or does not work the way I would like to.

Now if somebody took the design and made it a proper meter, either multifunction or even cut the unneccessary crap and make it proper LCR, that would be fine. But there is nobody there either capable or at least willing of modifying both the software and the HW, they just all copy that like monkeys. It's laughable…

That thing you described is like building a rocket! All I want is to press once for L, press twice for R, press tripple for C. Not some crazy shit…I think paying even twice the price for a device which has interface for normal people and not crazy nerds (no offense) is still damn worth it.

Comment

I suppose if you had no interest in it then you likely wouldn't know if there was anyone working on improving it or not.

Comment

Now if somebody took the design and made it a proper meter, either multifunction or even cut the unneccessary crap and make it proper LCR, that would be fine. But there is nobody there either capable or at least willing of modifying both the software and the HW, they just all copy that like monkeys. It's laughable…
                              shows how much you know,
                              one of the main contributors on the german forum is one of those "monkeys".
                              he goes by the name of Zhq.

Comment

Haven't gone far I suppose so I don't really care. This thing exists for how long, maybe a decade now? It's falling so hard against proprietary chinese metres…I would pay for Applent AT825 any day of the week over this.

Comment

That's fine for you, it's your choice. It's also your choice to cop a snobby attitude about it. It's a good choice for some people. The whole gamut of experience runs among the members here.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                    My response:

Hello. I saw the picture and only the BATTERY and the CLIPS were stated as NOT INCLUDED. The rest of the cable should have been in package.

The tester doesn't work as stated because I cannot connect to it any CLIPS or PROBES. Please tell me how I am going to do in circuit testing when I cannot connect probes to that 3 pin plug, because I don't have any cable to match THE PLUG!!!!

Please refund or send me the cable that I show in BLACK CIRCLE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/foq15zsdoa...20see.jpg?dl=0

Very disappointed with not honest treatment.

His reply:

HOW ABOUT SENT YOU AGIAN TEST CABLE .IS THAT OK ?
                                    Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                                    I think he's offering to send you the cables.

Today I received the cable! It came with test clips attached too! I am satisfied

Comment

Cool!

Comment

…meanwhile, Behemot dropped the price of ESR Micro v4.0si to 79.99@Bonanza or about 70 bucks direct, incl. shipping and 2y warranty…

Comment

70 euros?

Comment

Working...
                                          X