My new "Blue" ESR tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My new "Blue" ESR tester

Yes, thanks for the tear down. It is just a tool, if it works as it is designed, then why knock it. I used all kind of tools in the last 35 years, if it works as it was designed to do and fit your requirement then it is fine. It you can make one with same or better spec and reliable and cheaper or at the same price, then I am sure people will buy it. If you work for a lab and require traceability and yearly calibration by the certified cal lab, then it may not fit your work. It costs a LOT of money to have equipment cal every year.
    Last edited by budm; 10-17-2012, 08:50 PM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
      Yes, thanks for the tear down. It is just a tool, if it works as it is designed, then why knock it. I used all kind of tools in the last 35 years, if it works as it was designed to do and fit your requirement then it is fine. It you can make one with same or better spec and reliable and cheaper or at the same price, then I am sure people will buy it. If you work for a lab and require traceability and yearly calibration by the certified cal lab, then it may not fit your work. It costs a LOT of money to have equipment cal every year.
      Thanks for your objective comments which are very true. The Blue ESR meter is basically a repackaged Dick Smith Electronics ESR meter. It's just a single-purpose instrument which I designed for myself to measure a capacitor parameter I needed to know about when I was repairing mostly domestic electronic gear.

I made it as simple to use as possible in real-world repair situations so that I could stay focused on finding and fixing faults. It doesn't have a bunch of fancy other functions because I didn't need them and it's designed to be functional, not pretty. The user needs to have a good knowledge of electrical theory to understand the implications of what the meter is telling him. That seems to be the big problem for some people.

Thanks again to the technicians who've been supportive.
      It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        Don't listen to Kiriakos. He was banned from eevblog for pissing everyone else off.
        And I do feel PRIDE for who I am and what I say.

By the way if I managed to write there 3500 messages, probably I was not that bad apple like you are.

Comment

Originally posted by twbranch View Post
          I am a professional Avionics Tech with 20 years experience. I own the Blue and would not waste my money on the junk you keep mentioning. You, my friend, need to build something better if you think you can. I doubt you can judging from the fact you have not examined the tester the way MDOC did. I have more expensive ESRs on the shelf now collecting dust that have not been calibrated in a few years just because they are broken pos. I do not want to waste my money on the proprietary parts to repair something when I can use the Blue.
          I am living in 2012 and not in the past decade, the capabilities of the latest LCR are not even comparable with one simplistic capacitor tester.

professional Avionics ?
          I am a God in higher mountain than yours.

Comment

^^ Yeah,right..You are a God in multimeter reviewing or am I wrong?
            You have graduate from technical high school(electician) so you have much more knowledge in electronics than everyone here(and in other forums),right?
            Last edited by Joun; 10-18-2012, 12:46 AM.

Comment

I may get into trouble with this but....I DON"T BELIEVE GOD! Show me what you have! You have yet to prove that you know what you are talking about! IF you are a GOD prove it! Other people have proven the Blues worth...now its your turn to debunk it! I DARE YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                Don't listen to Kiriakos. He was banned from eevblog for pissing everyone else off.
                Keep him on here! Makes my day! I need to vent to someone! He is an easy target!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                  By the way if I managed to write there 3500 messages, probably I was not that bad apple like you are.
                  It's not the quantity, it's the quality. Most of your posts seem to have poor SNR.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by Joun View Post
                    ^^ Yeah,right..You are a God in multimeter reviewing or am I wrong?
                    You have graduate from technical high school(electician) so you have much more knowledge in electronics than everyone here(and in other forums),right?
                    Knowledge is something that comes to you at easy, what comes with the hard way to you are the experiences.
                    And like it or not I am lucky on that aspect and I have plenty.
                    Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 10-18-2012, 06:53 AM.

Comment

I may get into trouble with this but....I DON"T BELIEVE GOD! Show me what you have! You have yet to prove that you know what you are talking about! IF you are a GOD prove it! Other people have proven the Blues worth...now its your turn to debunk it! I DARE YOU!
                      I bet 50EUR that this topic is organized to advertise and cause noise about this tester.

For your information, there is people which does not get exited or gets motivated, to spent their money just because one gang of three people makes noise about it.

If you can assist one Cessna Aircraft to fly, I can make one complete factory to run, there is no comparison.
                      Cheers mate.

Comment

I will bet 50EUR you are a sad man! Who else would get so worked up over someone else making a few dollars on their own design. I don't work on Cessna btw! I work on larger aircraft and I am willing to bet you can't make a factory run....so you are right...no comparison.

Comment

"I bet 50EUR that this topic is organized to advertise and cause noise about this tester." Do you have proof for this statement?
                          So people at EEVBLOG is making noise about Blue ESR also? I would like to see comparision test and tear down on other meters to back up up any claim for any meter in the same price rangeor even at higher price range.
                          I like to see your review and tear down report of the meters that you TOUCH.
                          By the way, I do not know Bob and he does not tell me what to write about his meter, so do not make a claim that you do not have any proof. i must have missed the meeting about this "organized to advertise", also I must have missed the contest about "I am a God in higher mountain than yours" who is on the higher mountain contest. Where do I sign up for this contest?
                          Last edited by budm; 10-18-2012, 09:08 AM.
                          Never stop learning

Comment

"
                            I like to see your review and tear down report of the meters that you TOUCH.
                            I will reply only to this, because I consider it as more essential - important.

You are confused about what is truly important in such product reviews.
                            The tear down haves no value if the item is healthy in this aspect, what matters the most is to be features rich, so to bring money back to you.

The EEVBlog does not set the standards about product reviews, and no one is alike to another reviewer.
                            If you like what you see at the EEVBlog stay close to it.
                            There is no competition here.

Comment

The EEVBlog does not set the standards about product reviews, and no one is alike to another reviewer.
                              If you like what you see at the EEVBlog stay close to it.
                              I have to agree with this.

The EEVblog reviews are detailed but they're by no means complete or unbiased.

It's enough just to watch his latest review of Fluke 27 to see how he's "in love" with it and ignores some crap it has, simply because he's a Fluke fan.

He ignores or downplays some flaws of the product so easily, when he would have ridiculed other more recent products just because they're not Fluke.

He's also more and more not interested in reviewing things properly, you'll see quite a lot of "the other side of this board probably has nothing interesting in it, so I'm not gonna unscrew it", and sometimes he rushes things simply because his wife insists on coming back home at 5pm and he doesn't want to resume filming a movie the next day.

Yeah... and since Bob Parker "blacklisted" me already, I guess he won't see this anyway.

This thread was revived after Dave posted the video in which he used an ESR meter in his crappy "how to fix a monitor with no-name capacitors from shop at the corner" video.

The next day there were esr meter threads on eevblog and suddenly Bob Parker came out of the woodwork smelling money and decided to answer to some messages here.

I would probably have more (or any) respect for him if he would actually be active once in a while, not just when he notices a spike in sales or commissions from his overpriced meter.

It's enough to check his post history ... March 2012, June 2012, August 2012 and this month...

-

I don't see the point in dissing Kiriakos because he was banned on EEVblog. He is a polarizing personality, he did contribute a lot there, but he also pissed some people there.

That doesn't mean he can't be a quality member here, maybe he has matured in the meantime or maybe he can abstain from annoying people here.

Comment

"You are confused about what is truly important in such product reviews.
                                The tear down haves no value if the item is healthy in this aspect," So enlight us what is the REAL value. I do tear down, make measurement and compare the result to the starndard and its spec to see if they are what it claim to be. I guess you have not done many tear down before.
                                Every products has pro and con. It reminds me of people that claim to have golden ears.
                                But then again you are ""I am a God in higher mountain than yours""
                                You will learn from experience everyday of your life until the day you die. I am still learning and will never claim to be on the top of anyone here.
                                Last edited by budm; 10-18-2012, 12:29 PM.
                                Never stop learning

Comment

36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I guess you have not done many tear down before.
                                    No I have not make tear downs I just repair them.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/general...become-larger/

smason share some of those chips. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                      I have to agree with this.
                                      This thread was revived after Dave posted the video in which he used an ESR meter in his crappy "how to fix a monitor with no-name capacitors from shop at the corner" video.
                                      Yes I have seen it, he was very hard pressed to give a positive verdict,
                                      but he did it because is an Australian design.
                                      Patriotism above everything.

About me, I am not afraid to engage in a fight of financial interests,
                                      that's how I usually get in the middle of a battlefield. :-)

And believe it or not even the T&M market is divided to camps.
                                      When you are buying an Asian model which is not imported in your country,
                                      the next door reseller of T&M goods, he is loosing money.

He is the one who haves a good reason to fight me back as to be his enemy.

What I do today is in favor of the young professionals, and I do not care for small debates which is natural to happen in forums, when grownups and very young fellows are hanging around together.
                                      Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM. Reason: Spellcheck

Comment

No I have not make tear downs I just repair them.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/general...become-larger/

smason share some of those chips. :-)

You repair ESR meters? How about a thread on that then?

I tear down everything...that is how I learned about electronics as a kid. If you are a repair guy how did you learn electronics? School? I went to school too but didn't get experience until I started tearing things down and dissecting the parts. I am guessing you are a pop/swap repair guy!

Regards,

Comment

You repair ESR meters? How about a thread on that then?

I tear down everything...that is how I learned about electronics as a kid. If you are a repair guy how did you learn electronics? School? I went to school too but didn't get experience until I started tearing things down and dissecting the parts. I am guessing you are a pop/swap repair guy!

Regards,
                                          I do not have the energy about a such conversation which does not lead anywhere.

And actually if this Bob Parker was not playing the smart ass, I would not even reply to him.

If you wish to learn more about me, just Google my name.

Comment

Working...
                                          X