Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

toshiba smart tv , only backlight , no picture

hi,
    as soon as i plug the power cable to the main , the screen comes on with bright screen(backlight) but no picture , no sound, and it stuck in stand by mode, would not responding to the remote control or the normal buttons on the back of the tv, i suspected the main board , i searched online i couldn't find any? is there anyway to diagnose the main board?
    thanks in advanced
    Attached Files

Re: toshiba smart tv , only backlight , no picture

Can give the pin legends and what voltage is measured at each pin?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dick_barton; 04-10-2016, 05:28 PM.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
      Can give the pin legends and what voltage is measured at each pin?
      thank you for your reply , ill check them when i go back home today after work

Comment

We need to have the exact model number of your TV. I suspect the Tcon board. Turn the TV on and check the fuse on both sides on the Tcon. If the Tcon is directly over or under the LCD directly tab bonded on, you can't replace the Tcon and the TV is more or less junk. I know you reported no sound.
        Also could be the EEPROM on the main board. In this case freeze it with a can of air upside down and turn the TV on.
        Measure voltages with as requested in post #2 with the TV on and off.
        I think that is enough to chew on for now.
        Last edited by CapLeaker; 04-11-2016, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
          We need to have the exact model number of your TV. I suspect the Tcon board. Turn the TV on and check the fuse on both sides on the Tcon. If the Tcon is directly over or under the LCD directly tab bonded on, you can't replace the Tcon and the TV is more or less junk. I know you reported no sound.
          Also could be the EEPROM on the main board. In this case freeze it with a can of air upside down and turn the TV on.
          Measure voltages with as requested in post #2 with the TV on and off.
          I think that is enough to chew on for now.
          Hi, thank you. The tv is Toshiba 50l7355d I think . I'm not at home yet, I think the t-con is a separate board I don't know why you think I can not replace it!, is it possible that the t-con can freeze the tv an stop it from coming on ? Plus the tv powers on straight away with backlight only without touching any button. I'll check all the points have been asked to do . May you explain to me that part (In this case freeze it with a can of air upside down and turn the TV on) please. Thank you again

Comment

Some Tcon's are not made to replace, as they are tab bonded on to the panel. In this case, things do not look good at all.
            You can check the LVDS with a 100Mhz oscilloscope and turn the menu on and off all the time... this way you can verify you got signal coming from your main board.
            Bad Tcon = No picture but sound. ( Since you can't see anything I am not sure if you are on the correct input or not). So more investigations needed there.
            The EEPROM on the main board can inhibit the TV to boot correctly. This case, no picture no sound, TV turns off again and other weird things. I have a 70% success rate by freezing the EEPROM to make the main board boot correctly. If there is a bad EEPROM, you need either a new main board, or replace the EEPROM with a programmed new one. So either you program the new EEPROM yourself or buy an already programmed one.
            It also would be good to see the voltages on the PSU (bottom left connector) while the TV is on. Post pin out name with voltages measured.

So all in a nutshell right now we have to figure out which board is causing the problem.

Comment

Some Tcon's are not made to replace, as they are tab bonded on to the panel. In this case, things do not look good at all.
              You can check the LVDS with a 100Mhz oscilloscope and turn the menu on and off all the time... this way you can verify you got signal coming from your main board.
              Bad Tcon = No picture but sound. ( Since you can't see anything I am not sure if you are on the correct input or not). So more investigations needed there.
              The EEPROM on the main board can inhibit the TV to boot correctly. This case, no picture no sound, TV turns off again and other weird things. I have a 70% success rate by freezing the EEPROM to make the main board boot correctly. If there is a bad EEPROM, you need either a new main board, or replace the EEPROM with a programmed new one. So either you program the new EEPROM yourself or buy an already programmed one.
              It also would be good to see the voltages on the PSU (bottom left connector) while the TV is on. Post pin out name with voltages measured.

So all in a nutshell right now we have to figure out which board is causing the problem.
              Unfortunately I don't have oscilloscope.by the way the tv stock on the stand by mode. Red light on and stays on.the red light is not not changing by Pressing on any button on the remote control or on the back of the tv . I don't know if that can make you ignore the t-con, may you explain to me how to freeze the EEPROM with extra details?

Comment

hallo
                i think your tv need upgrade or software .
                before this check LDO voltages in the main board .
                led stuck on red means processor not start (software) or bad voltages (not correct) in MB also possible stuck led and R/C , press bottun .
                try voltages first .
                thanks

Comment

hi again
                  pin 1: 12.15
                  2: 12.15
                  3: 12.15
                  4: 0
                  5: 0
                  6: 12.15
                  7: 0
                  8: 0
                  9: 0
                  10: 5
                  11: 0
                  12: 3.28
                  13: 3.15
                  14: 3.33
                  15: 0
                  16: 3.26

voltage on both sides of the fuse( on the t-con board) is 12.9
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fredaelsadany View Post
                    hallo
                    i think your tv need upgrade or software .
                    before this check LDO voltages in the main board .
                    led stuck on red means processor not start (software) or bad voltages (not correct) in MB also possible stuck led and R/C , press bottun .
                    try voltages first .
                    thanks
                    hi
                    thank you for sharing , for me its easy sometimes to diagnose the psb , but really my knowledge about the main board is limited? may you till me how to how to find the ldo regulator pin out on the main board and how to test the output please, thanks

Comment

Not good news by the looks of it.

All the voltages you give appear to be what is expected. The 12V supply is on both sides of the Tcon fuse. The backlights work.

Looks like an EEprom problem or main board processor fault.

Hopefully someone else can give you better news.

Edit
                      Just taking another look at your reading. Should Pins 1,2,3 be 12.5V and Pin 6 be 12V
                      Last edited by dick_barton; 04-11-2016, 03:24 PM.

Comment

yes thats right , it might be the multitester i use is not good enough to give the right votage!!! or?

Comment

press on that black heat sink on the main board a little and turn on the TV. see what happens...

PSU voltages are correct. How did you get these? Is the PSU turning fully on just by plugging it in, or did you turn it on with the remote / button on front?

Comment

press on that black heat sink on the main board a little and turn on the TV. see what happens...

PSU voltages are correct. How did you get these? Is the PSU turning fully on just by plugging it in, or did you turn it on with the remote / button on front?
                            Thanks I'll do it today night after work, when plug to the main without touching the remote control or any button on the tv start blank for a 5-10 seconds , in the same moment(within the 5-10 seconds) the led infront the tv flash one or two times with green light then the screen goes bright with no picture and the green led goes red . So I read it the pins after that

Comment

yeah... main board problem...

Comment

pressed on that black heat sink on the main board still the same, thanks anyway

Comment

Just a silly question, what ever tv I have and I want to replace the main board, I must replace it with the same tv model main board number or the same main board number? For example on ebay I can find the same main board number looks exactly the same but the seller said been removed from different tv model which is smaller

Comment

Originally posted by layad View Post
                                    Just a silly question, what ever tv I have and I want to replace the main board, I must replace it with the same tv model main board number or the same main board number? For example on ebay I can find the same main board number looks exactly the same but the seller said been removed from different tv model which is smaller
                                    From reading the Forum it appears that it is important to match the main boards. One main reason is that they may be set up for different screen sizes or even for a different LCD panel or panel maker.

Comment

maybe see if your lcd panel number matches the replacement it may work if it does. On the metal tv chassis theres usually a white sticker with the panel number printed on it.

Comment

You need to match the board with the EXACT panel used in the Tv. These boards have the firmware written to the panel used in the set. So you cant just use any old one you need one for the exact screen.
                                        Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Working...
                                        X