Abit BP6 recapping & stability tips [UPDATED]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abit BP6 recapping & stability tips [UPDATED]

Ok, Ive had several emails and even a posting or two in the forums about the Abit BP6 motherboard... Along with the VP6, I've had a lot of experience with the BP6. As we all know, the BP6 was plagued with the crap cap problem as well... However, this board has room for a couple variations in changing out the caps. I usually try to sway people away from changing capacitance values, however, through MUCH testing and experimenting with this board, some mods were worth doing.

I'm sure that all the BP6 users are familliar with bp6.com, and they've given me quite a few usefil tips, but their site is a MESS to dig through looking for info. The tips here are very simple and to the point if you want a stable BP6 again.

It doesn't really matter which revision you have, as the mods will cover both revisions.

Here's a list of the problem caps and what to replace them with.

The following capacitors stock are 1500uF 6.3v caps. Replace them with 2200uF 6.3v or 10v capacitors. Use only LOW ESR caps!! This is VERY important!
    EC15, EC5, EC1, EC11, EC4, EC6, EC9, EC7, EC8, EC2, EC13, EC14.

Ok, EC10 needs to be replaced with a 1500uF 10v capacitor.

These caps need to be left at their stock values of 1000uF 10v caps.
    EC3, EC17, EC25, EC21, EC20, EC24, EC18, EC19, EC22, EC23, EC28, EC31.

It is also recommended that some thermal grease be applied to the northbridge heatsink... You know that old BX chipset and how hot it can get!!

I'm not going to go into any Coppermine modding, simply because it's risky business! I have successfully completed it on a few BP6's, but I also hosed a couple boards in the curve....

The cap replacements above were found to be the BEST for reliability running stock, overclocked, and even Coppermine mods. If you plan on recapping your BP6 and have any questions, let me know!
    Good Luck!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Where does one find low-ESR 2200uF or larger caps in an 8mm can?

Comment

Ohhh.... Umm... Dave, you're gonna love this one...

I've only found TWO places that I can get 8mm caps from, and one of them is Jackcon... While they don't traditionally sell to the consumer, they can be sweet talked... The second is Digikey (www.digikey.com)... The only problem with them is cost!! Their 8mm low ESR caps are almost a buck a piece!! OUCH!

Honestly, on the BP6, I've always used 10mm caps. They will fit properly with a little ingenuity, and look stock, not like Mickey Mouse recapped the board.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

i prefer the panasonics that digikey has.
        more expensive but i hate having a repair job come back like a boomerang.i am still seeing bad jackcon caps in boards with 2002 dates.
        not seen a repeat failure yet.
        i will post the digikey part numbers when i get to the shop in the morning.(if roadrunner is back up)

Comment

OHHHH WERE THOSE THE DAYS!!!!

I sold my last BP6 about 5 months ago, running 2x Celery 366's @ 550/100, 2.2v core, OCZ heatsinks... I actually miss that system...

I have a parts BP6 still here, as a matter of fact, ncdave of our forum got the VRM toroid coils out of it...

Overclocking just hasn't been the same since the BP6!!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

BP6 recapping using 10mm caps

Ok, as mentioned above, the hunt for 8mm replacement caps is a difficult persuit... They're nearly impossible to acquire from a reputable manufacturer. I have added a couple pictures of a BP6 I recapped using all 10mm Nichicon and Sanyo capacitors. Doing this takes a little more finesse to make it look pretty like the example below, but it is really easy!!

The only issue with using 10mm caps on this board is the spacing around the CPU sockets. This is an issue with the original 8mm caps also. This was a blunder on Abit's part, placing the caps in such close proximity to the sockets. This inhibits the use of monsterous coolers. Although, this was an issue before with the original caps, the 10mm caps just make things a little tighter. However, all retail Intel Celeron coolers fit with no problems, and so do the nice ThermalTake copper Golden Orb heatsinks.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them!

<--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
              OHHHH WERE THOSE THE DAYS!!!!

I sold my last BP6 about 5 months ago, running 2x Celery 366's @ 550/100, 2.2v core, OCZ heatsinks... I actually miss that system...

I have a parts BP6 still here, as a matter of fact, ncdave of our forum got the VRM toroid coils out of it...

Overclocking just hasn't been the same since the BP6!!
              do you still have the carcass?
              why was it scrapped?
              i may need one to pick parts from
              i finally got one thats is more than caps.
              all voltages normal,clock running but no post no beeps.

Comment

Yes, I still have a BP6 carcass... It's plundered pretty bad though... I PM'd ya.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                X