Philips 47Pfl7422D/37 blinking 6 then 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips 47Pfl7422D/37 blinking 6 then 3

Apparently I have joined the vast community of people who have problems with their sets.
    Over the years I have heard a clicking noise coming from the back of the set at odd hours when the set is turned off. This would sometimes happen a few minutes after we turned the unit off, sometimes in the middle of the night, sometimes as I walked in the door after being gone for several hours.
    Several months ago the set was turned off and I noticed that the power indicator (usually blue when the set is powered) had turned to an evil red blinking light. After reading information from the internet I cycled power to the unit and it started working as expected, and I didn't think anything of it. This cycle also happened a few weeks ago, then the a few days after that, and now it is not powering up at all.

So….. I pulled the cover from the back and didn't find anything that appeared out of the ordinary. I didn't find any capacitors bulging, no heat marks, and no visual problems of any kind.

In summary:
    The problem has become progressively worse to the point that the set is useless.
    The blinking red light sequence is as follows: 6 blinks, then 3, then repeats.
    The tv is a Philips 47PFL7422D/37.
    When the unit is initially powered:
    1. the blue power light turns on
    2. there are 5 micro led lights on the component board (not sure of the correct name, it consists of RCA, HDMI cable, etc inputs) the first, second and fifth light up.
    3. the relays click (on the display power board)
    4. everything turns off (including the micro leds) and the red light blinks its sequence.

If anyone could pin this problem down to a specific board that would be great, or if we can get it figured out at the component level that would be fan-didlly-tastic…..

Any help or ideas would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Re: Philips 47Pfl7422D/37 blinking 6 then 3

The service manual can be found at Elektrotanya. It should have instructions on understanding the blink codes, and a description of what each one means.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

When i download the file, its a "Styling Sheet".
      Looks like a list of components, locations and
      descriptions.
      When i look at other service manuals it
      looks as expected, with "Service Manual" on the front.

Am i missing something?
      Is there a service manual for a "similar" tv that would work?

thanks for any input.

Comment

Originally posted by Losdog View Post
        When i download the file, its a "Styling Sheet".
        Looks like a list of components, locations and
        descriptions.
        When i look at other service manuals it
        looks as expected, with "Service Manual" on the front.

Am i missing something?
        Is there a service manual for a "similar" tv that would work?

thanks for any input.
        $@!%T^^$%!! My apologies, you are correct. I failed to notice the size - about 1 meg. A service manual usually runs over 20 meg. Now where did I put that humble pie....

After exhaustive research, that set uses the Q523.1U LA chassis. The servce manual is at the same site.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Ok I have successfully downloaded the manual and after reading it for the past few days its almost to much information to handle.
          According to the repair manual the error code that my tv is indicating (63, its an LCD not a plasma) is that the “Power-ok” line did not become high. It appears (to me) that the culprit may be 3V3. Are there specific pins that I can check voltage on to identify if this power supply is not operating correctly or am I going down the wrong path?
          Also after reading other threads it appears that the main caps on the power supply board are 1.4x the line voltage (DC), that I can check tonight.

Can you advise me on pin numbers to check various voltages?
          Im assuming that they will all be DC.
          Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

Ok I have successfully downloaded the manual and after reading it for the past few days its almost to much information to handle.
            According to the repair manual the error code that my tv is indicating (63, its an LCD not a plasma) is that the “Power-ok” line did not become high. It appears (to me) that the culprit may be 3V3. Are there specific pins that I can check voltage on to identify if this power supply is not operating correctly or am I going down the wrong path?
            Also after reading other threads it appears that the main caps on the power supply board are 1.4x the line voltage (DC), that I can check tonight.

Can you advise me on pin numbers to check various voltages?
            Im assuming that they will all be DC.
            Any thoughts would be appreciated.
            There is a known fault with many Philips TVs where the DC-DC converter (on the Small Signal Board (AKA 'Main Board')) fails. It appears this TV uses the same design.

I'm up to the proverbial armpits in the proverbial alligators at the moment. Pictures of the SSB (top and bottom) will be appreciated. It won't be until later today at the earliest before I can download the Service Manual.

PlainBill

Comment

I have included some pictures of the SSB board if anything is unclear or new pictures are needed please advise and be specific. In particular take a look at “Philips 017” there are five micro leds on the SSB. When the unit powers up, before the fault light begins to flash, three of the five leds light up. Should all five light up or is this normal?
              I checked 1P11 on the SSB I noticed that the 12vDC signal is not responding as expected (pins 4,8), 2.79vDC when the unit is plugged in, then nothing when the unit begins to flash the fault light. So I started checking from the 120vAC at the board and worked my way down stream to the 12v transformer. Im assuming that 5B01 is a transformer. We have 165vDC (is this correct?) between pins 5 and ground but there is no 12vDC signal coming out of it on the secondary side between pins 7 and 8, or 8 and 9. I did not cycle power during the testing phase, does something turn the transformer on during normal operation?
              I could not find a datasheet on the transformer to verify my findings, looks like the model number that I have is BS28603-00. Does anyone have access to component data sheets, or at least one for this transformer? I looked on digikeys website among others and found nil. Is this transformer to blame or are there other underlying issues? Is there a way to test this transformer? This diagram is provided on page 75 of the service manual.
              If anything is unclear feel free to take a look at the notes taken during the testing procedure, they may not be clear but provided myself with information as to not have to repeat my steps and provided me with some degree of sanity. Some things may seem obvious but after reading about faulty power cords, I decided that its better to test too many items than not enough.

Any input would be appreciated.
              thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

I've downloaded the Service Manual and have been picking my way through the schematic. Picking may be the wrong term - in some ways it resembles trying to swim in quicksand - a lot of effort, very little progress. I'm still trying to figure out where the Power-OK line originates.

Aww, crud. Power-OK originates on the power supply!!! I've been chasing around the schematic for the power supply, and finally broke down and read the description. It turns out the 47" power supply is a different unit. Apparently that supply only provides power for the LCD panel and the inverter.

To make things even more delightful, the SSB has it's own power supply, and that one seems to produce 12V also!!

I haven't given up yet, but the only suggestion I have at this point is to verify that the 12 Volt supply out of the Panel supply does (or does not) go to 12 volts.

PlainBill

Comment

Also, good quality pictures of the top and bottom of the power supply would be very helpful. As closely as I can determine, 'display supply OK' is generated on the display supply. One possible cause for a problem would be the inverter.

While this arrangement is unusual, in a certain (twisted) way it makes sense. The display manufacturer provides the LCD panel, the backlights, the inverter, and the power supplies they require. That power supply also provides filtered AC to Philips' own power supply, which is now integrated into the SSB. The panel manufacturer also provides status information on their power supply and inverter.

PlainBill

Comment

When I first started this little endeavor I remember reading a thread from someone that made a comment about no one ever trying to fix a board with a Power OK (Power Good) signal issue, I think I now know why. According to the service manual:

“The 47 and 52" sets in this chassis come with a buy-in Sanken Display Supply unit and is a black-box for Service.”

Another interesting little tidbit of information on this little guy is another excerpt from the service manual:

“The supply unit delivers the following voltages to the chassis:
                    • Mains voltage (filtered) for SSB (connector 1P02)
                    • +395 V DC (connector 1P22).
                    • +24 V DC (connectors 1319/1316).
                    • +12 V DC on connectors 1M09, 1M12 and 1P15.
                    When all these voltages are present, the Power-Good signal
                    becomes “high” (+5 V) (connectors 1P10.2 and 1P11.2).”

It appears that I have the 400vDC signal along with the 12vDC signal. The 24vDC signal is not present where expected, at connectors 1316/1319, or 1317/1321. Therefore I do not have the Power OK (Power Good) signal. See service manual for references to connectors.

The wiring diagram for the 47” display power supply board is not in the service manual, and I scoured the Internet for a circuit diagram but fell short. I guess its time to go to the great shopping mall on the world wide web to look for a display power supply…….
                    Last edited by Losdog; 08-03-2011, 08:05 PM. Reason: cause i can

Comment

When I first started this little endeavor I remember reading a thread from someone that made a comment about no one ever trying to fix a board with a Power OK (Power Good) signal issue, I think I now know why. According to the service manual:

“The 47 and 52" sets in this chassis come with a buy-in Sanken Display Supply unit and is a black-box for Service.”

Another interesting little tidbit of information on this little guy is another excerpt from the service manual:

“The supply unit delivers the following voltages to the chassis:
                      • Mains voltage (filtered) for SSB (connector 1P02)
                      • +395 V DC (connector 1P22).
                      • +24 V DC (connectors 1319/1316).
                      • +12 V DC on connectors 1M09, 1M12 and 1P15.
                      When all these voltages are present, the Power-Good signal
                      becomes “high” (+5 V) (connectors 1P10.2 and 1P11.2).”

It appears that I have the 400vDC signal along with the 12vDC signal. The 24vDC signal is not present where expected, at connectors 1316/1319, or 1317/1321. Therefore I do not have the Power OK (Power Good) signal. See service manual for references to connectors.

The wiring diagram for the 47” display power supply board is not in the service manual, and I scoured the Internet for a circuit diagram but fell short. I guess its time to go to the great shopping mall on the world wide web to look for a display power supply…….
                      That is one option, and you are welcome to try it. Frankly, these supplies drive me nuts, but it would be interesting to see how the 24V supply is derived. If you want to provide picture, I might be able to suggest test points.

There are a number of them available on eBay, this one is the most interesting.

PlainBill

Comment

Ok so I broke down and bought a display power supply board.
                        Success.
                        Finally after two weeks without a tv, maybe I can finally relax and enjoy a movie. The ironic part is that the day before the unit crapped out, I loaded our Netflix queue quite heavily with movies that peaked my interest.

This raises a question:
                        Is it better to plug the tv into a wall outlet and leave power applied, or is it better to use a surge suppressor (or some type of switched device) that turns off power to the unit when not in use?
                        Im not really concerned about saving clock functions or settings, this idea is based on saving hours of “on time” to the electronics on the boards…..

Any advice?

PlainBill, thanks for the pokes in the right direction your assistance is very much appreciated.

Comment

A surge suppressor is always a good idea. As far as turning power to the TV off, your savings will be nonexistent. The TV draws .6 watts with the power off.

PlainBill

Comment

Hello. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place for my model but I didn't have any success posting my chassis model and pictures on this post here a few months ago.

The set is a Philips 42PFL7432D/37 with chassy Q532.1U-LA. It has a No Power Error Code 8. I've got the service manual but I need a little help to get me going in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
                            Last edited by A Man; 10-05-2012, 08:19 AM. Reason: Added model info

Comment

What is a "display power supply board"? Is that the same thing as the power supply? Or is that the inverters?

Comment

Find the service manual on line and read thoroughly.
                                The user manual calls it "display supply".
                                Search for pin 1316 and it will take you right to it.
                                i have uploaded a picture to my album, its the tan board left of center.

apparently this unit uses several boards:
                                Inverter
                                SSB
                                Side IO
                                Keyboard control
                                IR/LED/Light Sensor
                                "Display Supply"

enjoy

Comment

Working...
                                X