Bruiser of a 700W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruiser of a 700W

Got this 700W for $14.99, pulled out of a gateway FX computer. Thing is huge. Biggest ATX power supply I have seen.

Sorry about these picture's qualities. It was about 8:50 at night when I took these so the only light was the soft yellow kitchen light. Also trying out the camera on my phone, still need to fiddle with the settings.

Big guy. Here's a shot of it with a Delta DPS-700FB on top of it, which is itself a pretty big power supply. They are about the same weight.

A hem. Ignore the big grey box I put over the label. Keep ya guessing. Internal pics will come tommorow when I can get better lighting and mess with the camera settings.

(BTW, I wish coke was still 5c...)
    Attached Files

Re: Bruiser of a 700W

Looking forward to seeing the kishkes.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Is the big fella also a delta?
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

It's HIPRO, my guess
        | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
        | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
        | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

I vote for HIPRO (the fan grill shape gives it away).

Comment

My vote is LITE-ON. Many manufacturers use that fan grille. Some more commonly than others, so it might be a hint, but I don't think it's a giveaway.

Comment

my vote is delta... possibly acbel...
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

♪♫ Jeopardy Music ♫ ♪

Hipro
                veritas odium parit

Comment

i still vote delta. look at the censor block on #1. delta has a logo that small. hipro does not.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

1 vote.

Insisting still does not get another vote...

or chance...
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

It's most definately a Delta.
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

My vote is still HIPRO Model: HP-W700WC3 LF
                        Attached Files
                        | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
                        | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |

Comment

Another vote for Hipro.
                          A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Originally posted by POM_MJ View Post
                            My vote is still HIPRO Model: HP-W700WC3 LF
                            Ding ding ding! Exact model.

Label, nothing strange here.

Clamshell case removed, revealing the semi-dual PCB design.

Top PCB pulled up.

The top PCB is simply for most of the primary. The heatsink cools the APFC parts, which are two 21N50C3's and a diode. Primary caps are two Elite 420V, 330uf's. Under that perforated cover is the input filter, consisting of 4 coils, 2 .68uf X caps, and 4 Y caps, with 2 more Y caps on the AC receptacle.

Bottom half. Left bottom heatsink cools the primary switchers, two IRFP460A's in two transistor forward. Heatsink above that contains the 12v rectifiers, 5 STPS20H100CT's, good for 20A for 100A combined.

OCP shunts for the 12v rails. Secondary capacitors on the 12v are a mix of 16v, 3300uf UCC's and 25v, 470uf Teapos. Those two big 12 gauge wires feed 12v to the right side of the PCB.

Here's where they end up. The inputs are filtered by some Nichicon HM's and Teapos.

The output from that heatsink is the 5v and 3.3v rails, indicating this is independently regulated. This unit seems to derive these rails by using two P60NF03's connected in parallel for each rail for a DC-DC configuration. Each output gets a choke and two Nichicon HM 10v, 1500uf.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Does it need to replace Teapos and Elites?

Comment

None are bulging, I'm not worried about them. All the HM's have a 2006 datecode, just as the unit itself was made in the 22nd week of 2006.

There are also some random small value (<1uf) Ltec's scattered around. Forgot to mention the fan is a San Ace, I can't get the model number as the fan is mounted using rubber mounts and I don't feel like breaking any of them. Also, shunts are present on the two minor rails as well.

The "CLiCK" brand transformer I have only seen in other units made by Kingnod.
                                Last edited by 370forlife; 12-21-2010, 10:10 AM.

Comment

This thing really needs a load to regulate. No load, 5v stays steady at 5.05, 3.3v at 3.35. The 12v starts at about 13.02 and climbs up to about 13.29 then the unit shuts off. With just two hard drives for a load, the 12v stays steady at 12.05v, 5v at 5.05v, and 3.3v at 3.35v. Interesting all the rails end with a 5 for some reason. 5vsb steady at 5.12v.

It also has a relay on the input that bypasses the two thermistors. When turned on, you can hear the "click" of the relay.

Comment

Nice PSU.

Comment

What are the dimensions of this 370? Got a scale?
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

It's about 9 1/16th inch/230cm long. Width and height are standard ATX dimensions (6" wide, 3.5" tall)

Comment

Working...
                                        X