Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Guide] How to extract ready for programming dump from HP update executable file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Guide] How to extract ready for programming dump from HP update executable file

Recently bios requests for varios HP machines has increased more and more and as the thread title suggest this guide will help and guide members to perform an extraction of the bios file(s) from the various update executables presented as spXXXXXX.exe downloaded from the corresponding for the HP laptop model support page.

Keep the thread clean, do not post bios requests please.
    Again - no requests should be made in this thread!
    Last edited by Vesko356; 08-08-2023, 05:14 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
    Become a Badcaps supporter
    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
    Thanks to all supporters.​
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Re: [Guide] How to extract ready for programming dump from HP update executable file

First the easiest and trouble-free scenario - the files can be extracted the normal way by just running the spXXXXXX.exe update file - double click the downloaded HP update executable file, click next:

Choose location to save files (or leave the default path C:\SWSetup\SP XXXXXX):

After a while the HP GUI dialogue box appears, by clicking next giving you the 3 options to choose: update, recovery and copy:

Select copy, click next, choose destination folder and there you'll find extracted BID.bin file(s) ready for programming. Simple as that.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Vesko356; 08-08-2023, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Re: [Guide] How to extract ready for programming dump from HP update executable file

Now the complicated scenario - in this post there are two bios update executables. Running the exe on Windows 10 will extract the contents to a folder called SWSetup - so far so good.
      But now there is no more dialogue on screen after that and running the file in SWSetup folder named Winflash.exe also does nothing. Checkmate or ...?

Let's begin:
      This has only been tested on Windows 7 and 10 so far
      ,testing with Windows 11 might produce different results.
      These are some of the more problematic updates you will come across due to different software extraction methods required.
      Each of these updates contains a number of different bios from AMI and Insyde.
      https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp113...0/sp113017.exe
      https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp146...0/sp146979.exe

1. If you are using Windows 10 you can run the sp113017.exe
      to extract the contents (Winflash.exe) to a folder called SWSetup or use 7-zip/WinRAR.

1.1 If you are using windows 7 extract sp113017.exe using 7-zip/WinRAR.

2. Open Winflash.exe with AMIUCP. Link: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...3&d=1676652036

3. Extract @AMI with AMIUCP, save as AMI

The saved AMI file can be extracted with AMI UCP Update Extractor https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...45&postcount=7, or it can be extracted with AMIUCP in the next step.

4. Open AMI with AMIUCP, use the drop down to see all files in the folder

5. Extract @R00 and @R01, name them R00.bin and R01.bin
      (Both saved files are full 16MB bios images. In the sp146979.exe
      there are three 16MB AMI bios images
      )

6. Open Winflash again with AMIUCP and this time extract @INS, name the extracted file INS

7. Open the saved INS file with AMIUCP, it will fail. We need to find out what sort of file it is.

8. Open INS with a hex editor, the MZ text and can`t run under DOS means the file is an executable of some sort.

9. Close the hex editor, rename INS to INS.exe (the file Icon is Insyde bios)

10. The files can be extracted the normal way by running the exe, the HP GUI dialogue box will give the 3 options to choose update, recovery and copy.
      If you are using windows 7 see #11.

11. Extract the INS.exe with 7-Zip/WinRAR. Both *.fd files are the bios images, both have a HP sig file attached at the top of the file. Delete 0-3F with a
      hex editor and save.

Attached Files
      Last edited by Vesko356; 08-08-2023, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Windows 8 laptop example,HP Pavilion Sleekbook 14-b019us

This bios update will only download from the HP drivers support page if Windows 8 (64 bit) is chosen as the OS https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers.../model/5351448
        Direct download: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp765...00/sp76891.exe.
        Running the exe on my windows 7 PC makes it bluescreen.This can happen with some other updates as they will try to install a driver.It is best to run the exe on the same OS that
        the update was intended for,or a later OS.If a later OS won`t run the exe try it in compatibility mode.

The exe will extract to C:\SWSetup by default,unpack files to another folder sp****** then start the Update and Recovery screen.The bios images in the C:\SWSetup\sp76891 folder
        are encrypted.When you choose the option to copy the bios image to a location it,or they will be decrypted.

This decrypted bios is 5MB,it has a 1MB EC update together with the 4MB bios image,they must be seperated with a hex editor as the Utility does not do it.

Encrypted files can be decrypted from the command line with hewprsa.exe,or with phoenixtool if the hewprsa.exe is added to the program folder
        Attached Files
        Last edited by SMDFlea; 08-06-2023, 02:42 PM.

Comment

HP has dropped all support for older models such as the DV6 and DV7.Updates can still be found by searching around the internet.

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BI...Bios-F17.shtml

This bios will extract easily using 7-Zip/WinRAR.Some others will extract to the windows Temp folder (Win key+R, type %temp% and press Enter to open Temp folder) ,or a different folder on the C: drive if you run the executable.

Laptops from around this era can have two different bios versions,for EFI and non-EFI.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Vesko356; 08-08-2023, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Reserved
            Last edited by SMDFlea; 08-13-2023, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Hello, I would like to extract the bios file, I arrived at the stage with the decompression of INS, I obtain two files in ".bin" format, one of 16MB, the other of 8MB. Are these the bios that I can program on my PC?

I don't understand why extract ANS, to have R00 and R01, if in the end we only needed to extract INS? I'm not an expert, I'm trying to understand, thank you.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by madjid911 View Post
                Hello, I would like to extract the bios file, I arrived at the stage with the decompression of INS, I obtain two files in ".bin" format, one of 16MB, the other of 8MB. Are these the bios that I can program on my PC?

I don't understand why extract ANS, to have R00 and R01, if in the end we only needed to extract INS? I'm not an expert, I'm trying to understand, thank you.
                Decompressing the AMI yields 2 bios files ( 16MB). Decompressing INS yields the next 2 files.(8MB, 16MB)
                Last edited by hoaca388; 09-23-2023, 05:17 PM.

Thanks to all supporters.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

Originally posted by madjid911 View Post

Post #3 is an rare example for update executables that won`t extract the normal way,as in post #2 ,and you would only need to do it the hard way if there is no other available way to source the bios.

Previous older bios update versions sometimes extract OK, where`as the newer ones might not.If you can`t extract any you can always look for the bios in the 4-in-1 USB key,after extracting to a folder, if you know what BID (bios version) you need.
                  Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-24-2023, 04:13 AM.
                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
                  X