Help with Samsung LE32B554M2W with white picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Samsung LE32B554M2W with white picture

Good day folks. I'm having a bit of trouble with a Sammy TV here and it's not the first time it happens sadly: it's got a white, washed out picture. My first guess was obviously a faulty AS15F gamma IC, but upon removing the t-con board, I noticed it doesn't use an AS15f, instead a RM5010, which is supposedly equivalent nevertheless. Not wanting to risk replacing it with an AS15 which I have plenty on hand, I actually dished out and bought the exact part and replaced it, but unfortunately it didn't fix the issue, it looks exactly the same.

I thought perhaps my buddy damaged it by blasting it with too much heat like he tends to do (he always keeps his hot air gun turned all the way up to 450c, regardless of what he's soldering and despite me protesting...NVM...) so I tried an AS15f in its place and although it had no funny side effects (which would confirm it's indeed compatible), it still had the same white picture, so the issue is definitely someplace else, perhaps even somewhere other than the t-con. The second time, I was very careful to heat the part as little as possible and I doubt they're THAT sensitive to begin with. Also, the chances of getting TWO faulty parts of TWO different kinds in a row are virtually non-existent IMO.

I know with such issues it's imperative to measure the V_Gamma voltages on those test points, but I haven't done that yet due to lack of time - I shall do it post-haste though. It's important to note that the guy who brought it in said it happened after "the TV reset" and I put that in quotes because those are his exact words with no additional details as to what qualifies as a "reset" to him...did he actually access the service menu and messed around with those settings or simply unplugging the set counts as "resetting" it ? Who knows....can anything in the service menu cause such behavior ? I doubt it - if anything, to my recollection, changing the panel type would result in a dead set with no picture at all, but not this. My next guess is the panel itself. It's such a common board too and everybody seems to fix them by replacing the gamma IC, but to me this isn't the first time a gamma IC doesn't fix such issue....so goddamn annoying

Another frustrating thing, though this is backstory, is that I had an identical T-con board around the shop, but I sold it just a few days before the chap brought the TV in, so I could've at least checked if it experiences the same issue with a known functional board...
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Help with Samsung LE32B554M2W with white picture

I would check t-con voltages
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

i had a similar issue once, and it turned out to be water damage on the panel driver board.

disconnect one ribbon cable (from the t-con to panel) at a time and see if you get half a good pic.
      WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

Well guys, I'll be honest, I cannot find all of the test points on this board. They're not laid out around the gamma IC like on other t-con boards. They're all over the place and I had a hard time following them in order and some numbers I couldn't find at all, but measuring the ones I COULD find, the voltages seem fine - there isn't a massive difference between two neighboring points, like 15 and 16 or 1 and 2....true, you can't really make assumptions until you've properly measured ALL of them.

About the test the last guy suggested, which is to try disconnecting the buffers one at a time: the picture stays white on both halves, therefore I do believe the T-con is faulty one way or another.
        Wattevah...

Comment

I would check operating voltages on t-con
          I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

12v, 3.3v and 1v buses all appear to be correct....12v is slightly high for my taste (12.88), but I doubt it's THAT badly out of spec.
            Wattevah...

Comment

Ususally in the Sams. service menus there is a setting "Gamma", can you try to play with it or at least make a s.m. reset?

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                Ususally in the Sams. service menus there is a setting "Gamma", can you try to play with it or at least make a s.m. reset?
                I shall try and have a look around, though I'm a bit reluctant since I don't want to mess it up more than it already is and just end up with a blank screen
                Wattevah...

Comment

I think you can change tha gamma value and have realtime output of the change, i've done it on a Samsung with bad panel, unfrotunately i have noticed no changes.. (defect was different)

Comment

A factory reset did not solve it....messed around with that gamma setting, but didn't notice anything. I STILL think the t-con is dead somehow.
                    Wattevah...

Comment

i'll drop a vote in on t-con, but i don't know what can cause it outside of the as15 chip.
                      WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

The gamma chip makes reference voltages starting from AVDD tension, it has to be 15-16v, try to test that... search for AVDD testpoint or search the output of the dc-dc converter boost, the only one, at the cathode of a big diode whose anode is connected to mosfet drain and big inductance..

edit: ah yes there's a photo, is in the upper left corner..
                        Last edited by Davi.p; 09-27-2017, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I no longer have access to the board, since I closed the TV back up for returning....maybe, just maybe I'll take it apart once more to try and persevere. I called the guy today and managed to stall for time just a little longer
                          Wattevah...

Comment

Id be checking the pads around the AS15 to see if they were damaged at all

Comment

I think that the model number of the Tcon does not match the model of the TV. Was the tv repaired before you got your hands in it?

Comment

Originally posted by ducky29 View Post
                                I think that the model number of the Tcon does not match the model of the TV. Was the tv repaired before you got your hands in it?
                                No, the TV hadn't been serviced before, or at least the chap didn't say so, plus I doubt someone could just put in a non-compatible t-con and just gave it to him like that. I also doubt t-con board like these have compatibility issues. I DID have one incompatible t-con board, but it was for a smart TV which had a flash SPI chip on the t-con itself, whereas these ones are "dumb" - no data is stored on them or at least that's what I think.
                                Wattevah...

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
                                  No, the TV hadn't been serviced before, or at least the chap didn't say so, plus I doubt someone could just put in a non-compatible t-con and just gave it to him like that. I also doubt t-con board like these have compatibility issues. I DID have one incompatible t-con board, but it was for a smart TV which had a flash SPI chip on the t-con itself, whereas these ones are "dumb" - no data is stored on them or at least that's what I think.
                                  I have had this issue a couple times thats why I asked. What is the panel number?

Comment

Originally posted by ducky29 View Post
                                    I have had this issue a couple times thats why I asked. What is the panel number?
                                    No idea, TBH - I returned it some time ago, but the discussion is still on
                                    Wattevah...

Comment

check and note down all the gamma voltages.

Comment

Replace the T-con board dont mess with replacing the chip , i have done this myself but the tracks are very small and it too easy to damage or short tracks
                                        Just replace the board

Comment

Working...
                                        X