Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG 55UF6450 Static on screen but has sound and on screen menus work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 55UF6450 Static on screen but has sound and on screen menus work.

Turn this one on and it shows the LG logo with no problem, but then quickly shows static on screen. Sound still works and all on screen menus looks perfect. Tested on both over the air coaxial and HDMI.

I assume something on the main board that is supposed to process the input signal is bunk. I would love to repair whatever component is bad on the main board rather than replace the board. Any idea what could go bad that would still allow the on screen menus to display properly?

Main board # EBT64048902
    Last edited by mattpd; 02-27-2016, 06:10 PM.

Re: LG 55UF6450 Static on screen but has sound and on screen menus work.

Why would you? Isn't there any warranty left on it?

Comment

It would probably be pretty hard to narrow down the fault unless you find it's just a dead regulator or something. Aside from that I wouldn't be sure where to start.

What I find odd is that on a digital input like HDMI, I don't think you should even see static if there is no input.

You'd need a schematic, some good troubleshooting knowledge... and it might turn out to be bad soldering on BGA.

Even if it's out of warranty, you are probably better off getting a new board.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Maybe defective input switch ic

Comment

Originally posted by mattpd View Post
          Turn this one on and it shows the LG logo with no problem, but then quickly shows static on screen. Sound still works and all on screen menus looks perfect. Tested on both over the air coaxial and HDMI.

I assume something on the main board that is supposed to process the input signal is bunk. I would love to repair whatever component is bad on the main board rather than replace the board. Any idea what could go bad that would still allow the on screen menus to display properly?

Main board # EBT64048902
          mattpd did you ever get your problem corrected. I have the same tv with the same problem.

Comment

I have the same problem also. I find some videos and it seems to be an often problem after the first year. LG has 1 year warranty,very interesting. did any one find out the problem yet. thank you

Comment

The problem is the main board video processing chip , I replaced the main board for few LG 4k TVs and that solved the problem , not sure if it is possible to fix the board without replacing it

Comment

What means: "but then quickly shows static on screen"? I'm not english...

Comment

What about the tv apps? like youtube or netflix? same static screen?

Comment

I have one this model doing the same thing. I've seen where people put these boards in the oven to fix them, temporarily of course. So I removed the heatsinks from the chips and heated both chips with a heat gun but it did not help, nothing changed.
                    My question here is, is it possible the EEPROM could be bad and causing this problem, and if so has anyone replaced it with positive results? These boards are way overpriced, if you can even find one. I'm attempting to fix this tv to sell so I don't want to put a lot of money in it. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

Comment

Is there anybody that can help me with this?

Comment

Heating the chips with a heat gun is a stab in the dark. If you actually want to reflow the solder correctly you need to at least monitor the temperature to be sure you get the chip hot enough but not overheat it. You should probably also bake the board for a few hours at 40-50 Celsius first to remove any moisture so you do not 'popcorn' anything.
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Baking the board isn't going to fix it.
                          You need to replace the xd engine under the silver heat sink. reballing it won't work either. It needs to be replaced.

Comment

Thanks Agent24 and Hamie. Hamie, do you know of a place I can get that XD engine? And, is there any special equipment needed to replace it, other than a hot air station, soldering iron, etc.? I have never replaced one of these before. Thanks again.

Comment

Were you able to repair this board? I have the same problem with my 55uf6450 tv and I have attempted the heat gun method with no success. No replacement boards are currently available on Ebay for a decent price.

Comment

Originally posted by rgeisler View Post
                                Were you able to repair this board? I have the same problem with my 55uf6450 tv and I have attempted the heat gun method with no success. No replacement boards are currently available on Ebay for a decent price.
                                Have just been through this with a 65UF680T, it's a common fault to do with the XDA engine BGA chip, I did try reflow with no success.
                                I replaced the board with an LG revised board which had a different part number.
                                You will need to quote the old number to your supplier & they should give you the number of the revised version.
                                As these particular boards have an issue with this fault I decided it was better to go with the revised board.

New board fixed fault.

Comment

I actually sold this tv to a tv technician that said he has seen this problem before with this model and it is the XD engine chips. He actually replaces those chips and he gets them from China. But, it is not an easy or quick job to replace these chips, especially without the proper equipment. I have seen repair services on Ebay for these boards for around $180 and a 1 year warranty.

Comment

Appreciate the info. Does anyone know if there is a revised number for my board. It's an EBT64048902. I have seen the EBT64048903 listed as compatible for this model tv. Are these two boards interchangeable?

Comment

The EBT64048902 board works in televisions with SVC code: 55UF6450-UA.AUSYLJR (printed on sticker on back of TV).
                                      The EBT64048903 board works in televisions with SVC code: 55UF6450-UA.BUSYLJR (printed on sticker on back of TV).
                                      Possible substitute boards for the EBT64048903: CRB35036401, CRB35036501, EBT64048902, EBU63478202. So, according to these substitute boards the EBT64048903 should work for you. I hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you Jimbo

Comment

Working...
                                        X