Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony VPCSB - Plugged in but not charging.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony VPCSB - Plugged in but not charging.

Hello all, there's this MBX-237 I've just repaired (will post solution after I fix this issue in my other thread) but it won't charge the battery, I'm sure the battery is fine.

In Windows, it shows "Plugged in, not charging" and the battery LED keeps flashing nonstop.

I've tried different BIOS'es.

Re: Sony VPCSB - Plugged in but not charging.

I have a friend with the same issue, I still haven't checked with him but I read somewhere to try power reset, if it doesn't work, remove battery, disable TPM (?) in BIOS, uninstall battery checker and insert it after.
    Galaxy S6 Edge x2 (Gold&White)
    Asus GL552VW-i7 6700HQ|GTX 960M|15.6"FHD|16GB DDR4|512GB M.2 SSD+1TB SSD
    Clevo W230SD - i7 4710MQ|GTX960M|13"QHD+|16GB DDR3L|500GB+256GB mSATA SSD+1TB HDD

Try Harder!

Comment

hello
      i faced this issue after repairing it .
      i found that the connector cables " between MB and charging small board" need to be fixed with Adhesive tape.
      sorry for Weak language

Comment

Yeah, I made sure the cables are making contact, I've:

1) Flashed different BIOS'es.
        2) Pressed the battery off button underneath with a needle.
        3) I don't see TPM in the BIOS, I don't think this model has it.
        4) This is a clean system, so no Sony bloatware.

EDIT: The battery LED is solid in the first 5 seconds when laptop is being turned on, then it starts blinking nonstop, therefore the motherboard knows the battery is installed but is not being detected somehow.
        Last edited by orientalsniper; 04-22-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I attached the docking board (charger IC) schematic, does anyone have any idea what are the battery signals and how to test them?

EDIT: Attached a photo of AIDA64, battery is detected as Sony, but status and capacity are not being detected.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by orientalsniper; 04-22-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Hey,

I'm way too noob to talk about this with any true knowledge of the facts but from what I've researched, I believe this issue is in the battery itself and it's related to critical low levels. My friend tested the battery in another Sony laptop and the light still blinks.
            Isn't your battery also on low/critical level?
            Clevo W230SD - i7 4710MQ|GTX960M|13"QHD+|16GB DDR3L|500GB+256GB mSATA SSD+1TB HDD

Try Harder!

Comment

Yes! It blinks nonstop which means it's on critical level (0%), so did your friend tried another battery to confirm?

Comment

He didn't tried another battery, he tried his battery on another laptop.

Try Harder!

Comment

Dunno if this helps but..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr2pchS-N-0

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony...w-battery.html

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=123624
                  Last edited by Learn2Day; 04-22-2014, 01:53 PM.

Try Harder!

Comment

Thank you, if he could confirm with another battery that would be great.

Regardings the links:

1) That's Vaio Battery Care, it limits charge to 70%-80% I think, the laptop I'm working on won't go past 0%, besides it's a clean install with no Sony bloatware.

2 & 3) Those applied for the old models (VGN), I had fixed those before with a modded BIOS, but the new models are different (UEFI) and besides I already flashed different BIOS'es including flashing a modded one with advanced menu.

I found the battery signals which are: B_BAT+, DAT_SMB, CLK_SMB, BATT_PRS#, SYS_PRS#, BATT_ID, however I'm told I require an oscilloscope to check those signals.

My last resort to is to find a way to test this battery, any ideas anyone.

Comment

Hey,

My tested his laptop with another battery and it worked fine. It's confirmed, problem is in the batteries itself.

Try Harder!

Comment

Hey OS,
                        Do you have any news on this?

Thanks.

Try Harder!

Comment

Hello, sorry, but I don't have another battery to test laptop with, but the laptop had been in repair for 5 months and battery was never used, I think it could be the battery, but it's all speculation at the moment.

Comment

Thanks. If you come up with a solution or need any tests I could perform like earlier, post back.

Thanks again, L2D.

Try Harder!

Comment

Sniper, could you please see if this helps?
                              this happened to me one night, out of the blue. the battery refused to charge. i let it charge overnight, and it went from 4% charge to 8% charge in 8 hours, and the light kept blinking. HWiNFO64 showed the charge rate to be extremely low. i tried everything, and even took the battery out and pressed the power button for 30 seconds to discharge the internal capacitors to presumably reset the laptop. nothing worked. i then went in VAIO Control Center and disabled the Battery Care function, and re-enabled it after a minute, and everything returned to normal all of a sudden! very weird.
                              BIOS might also cause problems related to this..
                              R2087H4 Changelog:

The computer intermittently does not charge the battery.
                              The computer may shutdown at random.
                              The computer may not resume from standby or hibernation
                              The computer may hang, freeze, (stop responding) or is unable to start Windows® after POST
                              Reduces fan noise
                              The computer may hang or freeze, (stop responding) during playback of a High Definition video while using battery power
                              The computer may display No Boot / No OS Found errors due to a failure in communication between the BIOS and the Hard Drive
                              Unable to login to the computer due to a critical battery message when starting Windows using battery power
                              Battery status shows as "Not present" when the battery is fully charged

R2085H4 changelog:

The computer may not resume from standby or hibernation modes
                              The computer may hang, freeze (stop responding), or is unable to start Windows® after POST
                              Reduces fan noise
                              The computer may hang or freeze (stop responding), during playback of High Definition video when running on battery power
                              The computer may display "No Boot" or "No OS Found" errors due to a failure in communications between the BIOS and the Hard Drive
                              Resolves an issue where the user is unable to login to the computer due to a critical battery message when starting Windows when using the battery to power the computer
                              The battery status shows as "Not present" when the battery is fully charged

Try Harder!

Comment

Hello,

I'm having the same problem. Have bought an original new battery and keeps blinking the LED battery after about 30 seconds. If I press the reset the battery it is with the battery attached and led back to flash after 30 seconds. While the LED is lit it raises the voltage to about 11.20v. After 30 seconds, comes back to the present battery voltage. His problem was solved?

Digital oscilloscope have here, but I have no deep knowledge of electronics. If someone can guide me check some signals.

Translated by google!

Comment

I didn't solve it, I assumed the battery was having problems.

Comment

check all pins of charger ic to chceck if it aint poroblem with it

Comment

VPCEB2S1E: Same issue here. After repair and after installing all drivers.
                                      About the next day problem start. Blinking bat led and system will not go on. Only when the battery was taken out.

Deleted Sony control center and put in battery and everything acted normal again.

Comment

I have vpcsa model and it shows plugged in and not charging and charging light keeps on flashing i tried to install the nios but it stops on say that you have updated Bios no need to install i just wanted to know how can i install the BIOS completely and how can i resolve the issue for battet assistance sharing pics.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X