Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UE40D5000 , completely dead!

Hey guys ,

It's been a while but i was given a dead 40 inch Samsung LED tv.
    I dont know the history of the tv but there is no visible damage on the tv or boards.

I attached 2 pictures of the powerboard. Bottom and top of the board and i marked what i measured.
    I got zero voltages on the connector going to the mainboard so the main problem must be in the "hot" area.

What i measured :

- zero voltage on the connector going to mainboard.
    - +/- 312v on ac/dc converter and the 2 capacitors.
    - +/- 312v between VCC and Drain on the SMPS ( 3BR1765JZ )
    - Short on the pins from 2 mosfets ( ndf05n50zg ).
    - zero voltage on the optocouplers.

I took the mosfets of the board and they are ok. The short is still present on the board.

Hope someone can help me. I could order a new PS but i would like to repair this one and learn a bit more about LED tv's.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Moreno83; 05-05-2020, 12:47 PM.
    I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Re: Samsung UE40D5000 , completely dead!

And no the backlights don't turn on with the mains connected and the mainboard disconnected. With just mains on the PS i got zero voltage.
    I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

There is a DC DC converter on the back of the board. Also 0v going in. It's a TK11806M

Comment

So dead then, no led indicator lit on front, check all the diodes on powerboard, easy enough to check if you didn't already.

Comment

Yes indeed , i did the basics and the diodes read fine. Just dont get the short on the board.

Comment

Here's the schematic.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks! Looking at the schematic and at the measurements im thinking it is best to take a closer look at "TS801" which is a transformer. I think that transformer turns the high voltages into lower voltages....

What do you think?
              Last edited by Moreno83; 05-05-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

The first voltage you need to check is the A5V standby voltage. You say you don't have this voltage, so it is likely ICS801S is bad
                Check if you have 300+ voltage on pin 5, Then check if RS807 is open.
                Last edited by R_J; 05-05-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Repaired the same model before with a bad mainboard but indeed , the standby voltage is missing. Think the mainboard turns on the 3.3v for the led.

Got a few spare Samsung PS. Could i just swap the transformers? What to look for?

Comment

DID you do the test in post #9 to test that switching regulator IC? and check the solder joints on the transformers, maybe check PCS801S and PCS802S optos for shorts.
                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-05-2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Do those 2 mosfets (post #1) face downward when viewed from the top of the power supply.
                      If they do then it looks like a Gate - Source short so possibly the BAV70's otherwise if they are OK it should read 47 ohms between gate and source
                      Last edited by dick_barton; 05-05-2020, 04:33 PM.
                      Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
                        Hey guys ,

It's been a while but i was given a dead 40 inch Samsung LED tv.
                        I dont know the history of the tv but there is no visible damage on the tv or boards.

I attached 2 pictures of the powerboard. Bottom and top of the board and i marked what i measured.
                        I got zero voltages on the connector going to the mainboard so the main problem must be in the "hot" area.

What i measured :

- zero voltage on the connector going to mainboard.
                        - +/- 312v on ac/dc converter and the 2 capacitors.
                        - +/- 312v between VCC and Drain on the SMPS ( 3BR1765JZ )
                        - zero voltage on the optocouplers.

I took the mosfets of the board and they are ok. The short is still present on the board.

Hope someone can help me. I could order a new PS but i would like to repair this one and learn a bit more about LED tv's.
                        1) What did you use for GND ref when making the measurement in the HOT side?
                        2) 230VAC power source should give about 325VDC when measure between the two legs of the main filter caps.
                        3) " +/- 312v between VCC and Drain on the SMPS ( 3BR1765JZ )" Strange way of testing the Voltage. What is the Voltage between VCC and the hot side circuit GND?
                        4) "Short on the pins from 2 mosfets ( ndf05n50zg )" So you are saying that teh resistance between the GATE and Source pin of those two MOSFET fpor the PFC are showing < 1 Ohm?
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                          1) What did you use for GND ref when making the measurement in the HOT side? Negative leg cap/or GND from SMPS.

2) 230VAC power source should give about 325VDC when measure between the two legs of the main filter caps. I measure 315V

3) " +/- 312v between VCC and Drain on the SMPS ( 3BR1765JZ )" Strange way of testing the Voltage. What is the Voltage between VCC and the hot side circuit GND? Sorry my bad , voltage is fluctuating between 12 and 15v. Between GND and VCC( bouncing )

4) "Short on the pins from 2 mosfets ( ndf05n50zg )" So you are saying that teh resistance between the GATE and Source pin of those two MOSFET fpor the PFC are showing < 1 Ohm? It's beeping and showing 48ohm.
                          There is 315V going into the transformer ( MQGAH033310 ) and nothing is coming out so i think that this is the problem.

Comment

You say inpost #1
                            and then in post #13
                            4) "Short on the pins from 2 mosfets ( ndf05n50zg )" So you are saying that teh resistance between the GATE and Source pin of those two MOSFET fpor the PFC are showing < 1 Ohm? It's beeping and showing 48ohm.
                            So the 48 ohms is correct

I would do the checks RJ suggested and also check (VCC) between pins 7 and 8 of that IC
                            Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Can you post a close up picture of the bottom of the board in that transformer area?

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
                                There is 315V going into the transformer ( MQGAH033310 ) and nothing is coming out so i think that this is the problem.
                                LP801S is not a TRANSFORMER it is a COIL! LOOK at the F#@$ SCHEMATIC, If you have 312 volts on the caps how can the coil be bad?
                                Last edited by R_J; 05-06-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

My picture request was for the transformers starting with indicators TM, may not be your problem but sometimes a solder bridge breaks and you get similar symptoms, it's troubleshooting, not always easy.
                                  Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-06-2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                    The first voltage you need to check is the A5V standby voltage. You say you don't have this voltage, so it is likely ICS801S is bad
                                    Check if you have 300+ voltage on pin 5, Then check if RS807 is open.
                                    I got 315v on pin 5. RS807 is open.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                      My picture request was for the transformers starting with indicators TM, may not be your problem but sometimes a solder bridge breaks and you get similar symptoms, it's troubleshooting, not always easy.
                                      Thanks , i already noticed that the solder wasn't that great so i reflowed most of the board.
                                      I also replaced the 47uf and 22uf caps just to be sure.

Hope someone can help me , im not that great with fault finding in powersupplies. I'm more plasma tv's....

Comment

Did you replace that resistor?

Comment

Working...
                                        X