Panasonic TX-32LZD80 - Seems completely dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TX-32LZD80 - Seems completely dead

I have just gotten a Panasonic TX-32LZD80 TV for free, the owner said she thinks the light/bulb is blown, but I'm not sure that she actually has any idea what's wrong with it. I immediately put a new fuse in, but there is no sign of life whatsoever after I plugged the TV in and tried to turn it on. When I press the on switch on and off, nothing happens, there is no green or red ON/standby LED, absolutely nothing. I hear nothing happening either. Pressing the on button on the remote does nothing either.

I have read the only other thread about the TX-32LZD80 and the fuse in the T-Con area seems fine, I'm not sure how to tell if its blown but it doesn't look obviously blown/bulging or burnt.

Is there any other simple things I can try to try to fix this?

thank you!

Re: Panasonic TX-32LZD80 - Seems completely dead

As the set is dead you start from the area the ac comes in. Is power being received by the set and if you have a meter what is the voltage on the main capacitor/s on the power supply. You measure off the legs of the cap/s with black probe on neg leg red on pos leg. If there is something above 340v there then check if stby on connector on power supply has 5v. You could also remove power board and look it over for any burnt components bulged capacitors etc and put up some pics on your next post as is recommended to all who post on this forum.

Comment

Hi, thank you for the reply. I do not have a voltage meter right now unfortunately, I was hoping to fix it without one ideally, if that's possible. I have looked at the TV more properly now, and I see that I think several parts on the power supply board have burnt out (first two photos). The other boards look fine though (rest of the photos). Do you think that if I bought a new power supply board that it should fix the problem, or do you think there's very likely other issues too? If you had to guess? Thank you
      Attached Files

Comment

They have got warm/hot but are not burnt. Unable to say if they have failed without a multimeter. Did you unplug the connectors in photo 3 ?
        Tcon fuse is common on these, but again you need a multimeter to check.

Comment

Yes I unplugged the connectors in that photo 3 to look at the other side of the board.

Ok thanks. Do you think the Tcon fuse by itself could have caused it to get so hot and caused all these symptoms of it being totally dead?
          Last edited by walkingtv; 12-07-2017, 08:42 AM.

Comment

No, the tcon has no relationship to the heat on the power supply.

Comment

Can we see the pictures of the whole backside of the TV showing all the boards?
              We also need good clear STRAIGHT SHOT top and bottom side pictures of the main power supply board and the sub-power supply board.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1512655458
              It that the sub power supply board picture?
              Last edited by budm; 12-07-2017, 02:28 PM.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Ok I've tried to take more clear photos, its night time here though and difficult getting perfect photos. Otherwise I could try again tomorrow during the day light.

Yes I think that is the sub power supply board picture.

Here are more photos, I'd tried to photograph what was requested.

The whole backside of the TV.

The power supply board close up:

The backside of the power supply board, two photos:

The sub power supply board:

Its backside, two photos:

Attached Files

Comment

Without a multi meter its going to be hard to tell whats at fault can you borrow one? if not maplin/ebay sell some really reasonably priced ones, its a handy tool too have around the home/car we can advise you on how to use it etc.

Comment

An update: I just replaced the power supply board with a new (second hand) replacement one that I bought. The TV does actually switch on now, and I get an image, like no signal, or if I press the menu buttons I see menus come up etc, but then it switches off by itself after a few moments. So progress has been made but its still not quite there. The brightness is also not quite right, for a split second the brightness is on full/proper strength, but then it dims, and the switch off happens. I'm hoping that replacing the T-con fuse could fix this.

Vinceroger, thank you, right now I'm just trying to spend as little as I can, and spend as little time on it as I can too. I realize that its not ideal. I think that right now if I bought a meter I'd only use it this once and then likely never again.
                    Last edited by walkingtv; 12-10-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

try playing a dvd etc through the scart connection does the tv have picture and sound?

Comment

I don't have a DVD player, but I was trying to play a video through one of the hdmi ports with a usb media player, but it switches off so quickly that I don't get a chance to test it. But I could see menus/setting menus of the TV itself when I pressed buttons, and the channel information, that kind of thing, eventhough its not linked up to any sky/freeview tv box etc so the image was black aside from the menus. Aside from the brightness not being right, it was like half of the screen was a lot dimmer than the other half.
                        Last edited by walkingtv; 12-10-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Another update: I did manage to get a video playing on the media player, I get a dim image and sound, but as usual the TV switches off very soon, like after 4/5 seconds. The image disappeared just before the sound cut out. Also the screen image tends to turn on briefly for 4/5 seconds and then goes off, and then turns on briefly, repeatedly, until the TV switches off by itself.
                          Last edited by walkingtv; 12-10-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walkingtv View Post
                            I'm hoping that replacing the T-con fuse could fix this.
                            If you are seeing an image then the t-con fuse is ok.

Comment

The image does almost immediately switch off though. So the t-con fuse is still ok even though the image almost immediately disappears?

Comment

yes the fuse must be good as you get some sort of image on the screen if the fuse was bad you would have no image at al,l without a multi meter its going too be hard to find which board/part is faulty. Maybe upload a video of what your seeing on the screen.
                                Last edited by vinceroger69; 12-10-2017, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Ok I see, thank you. Thing is I already spent quite a bit on the power supply board, which did at least make a tiny bit of progress, and if I have to replace another expensive thing, it would be cheaper buying a new fully working TV I think :/

This is a video of how it looks. I have a few seconds to try to get something on the screen before it switches itself off. Right at the end of the video you can see where I managed to get a video playing, with audio, but it switches itself off soon after.

https://youtu.be/d2yAfLjwUkc

Comment

looks like you are only getting one side of backlight this is probably why the set is shutting down, i have not worked on one of these sets so not sure if they use two inverter boards.

Comment

Ok thank you. I posted photos earlier, as far as I can see it looks like there's only the one inverter board. I guess if something is wrong/broken with the backlight then I may as well give up, since I can't find a replacement part online for this specific model's backlight. Though I've been searching "TX-32LZD80 backlight", so maybe if I open it up and can find a specific part name on the backlight, that could work. Though the backlights I see for similar models are so expensive second hand, it may just be cheaper to buy a new (secondhand) TV.
                                      Last edited by walkingtv; 12-11-2017, 05:04 AM.

Comment

This set is a older lcd so uses ccfl tubes to light the backlight its usually powered by inverter transformers etc so could be the power supply too it or a bad ccfl tube or faulty transformer as you have not got a multi meter to fault find more, as you say a new tv maybe your best option, you could always sell this faulty tv for spares and get some money back

Comment

Working...
                                        X