Considering a MacBook Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a MacBook Air

I enjoyed my Eee PC a lot - until it broke...

I was checking out the iPhone 4S at the Apple Store(no intent to buy, just trying to see what everybody thought was so exciting about it[and failing at figuring that out]) when I saw the MacBook Air 11-inch. I never knew they had them that small...

And for the first time in my life I've wanted an Apple product...like wanted one so bad I'm considering buying one.

Does anybody here have one? Opinions?
    It's detailed here:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ook_air/select

I would be getting the 64GB, $999 model of course. 2GB RAM, Dual-Core i5 CPU. Not great specs but it felt fast in the Apple store...
    Why do I want this thing?

Pros:
    -Tiny and slim
    -Doesn't weigh as much as my ToughBook (the computer it would be replacing; I would sell my ToughBook)
    -Much much faster than the ToughBook
    -Latest OS
    -Perfect for taking notes at school and doing schoolwork, since it's small enough to toss in my backpack, doesn't have a normal hard drive, so a few small bumps won't matter, yet it's got a big enough screen, enough processing power, and a full-sized keyboard
    -Great for traveling (I hate traveling but that's irrelevant) since it's got a tiny footprint and good battery life)
    -Fast enough for gaming (Minecraft, Urban Terror, etc)
    -Quiet and light, perfect for use

Cons:
    -Expensive
    -I would sell my ToughBook, a bunch of my extra computer stuff, several extra desktop PCs I don't need, which may be a good thing but it takes a lot of time and energy
    -I don't know if mom would let me buy yet ANOTHER new computer... my $600 Lenovo already PO'd here a little...

Anyway, what do y'all think?

Re: Considering a MacBook Air

The cons.....
    System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Lol. There are at least a few more PROS than CONS.
      What do you think of me selling ~4 of my other computers and a ton of my parts, and buying a MacBook Air?

Comment

I think you need to stop being a mooch with unessasarily expensive crap and make most of th emoney yourself (work or sell) or not bother.

Hell, I was lucky to get a $250 laptop as my only birthday gift this year... and you consider $600 to be "a little pissed". it must be a California thing...
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Unless you're just really hung up on OSX on a laptop, I wouldn't waste the money.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            I think you need to stop being a mooch with unessasarily expensive crap and make most of th emoney yourself (work or sell) or not bother.

Hell, I was lucky to get a $250 laptop as my only birthday gift this year... and you consider $600 to be "a little pissed". it must be a California thing...
            I DO make almost ALL of the money myself. I bought myself that Lenovo laptop! Not counting my phone, I buy almost all the expensive tech crap I own, OK?
            I'm lucky if I get a little money for my birthday. I come from a poor family, my dad lives in Germany, never contributes anything, and I'm lucky if we exchange a rare Facebook Poke as communication. And I've never had "allowance" or "pocket money"

And I am NOT a mooch:
            http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mooch

Comment

^
              You remind me a lot of me in that regard. The only difference was my parents had money (not rich, but we lived ok....average middle class in the 80's), they just didn't give it up. If I wanted anything extra for myself, I had to cut lawns, shovel snow, and do whatever other odd jobs I could find to get the money myself.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

I work on Saturdays at a computer store, and during vacations I work more days in the week which is where the big money's at... (well big to me lol).
                I've never done the lawn mowing, odd jobs, etc. thing. It's just not my kind of work.
                But yeah if I want anything technologically interesting I have to pay.

And to clarify I'm not "piss poor", we live in a decent 1 bedroom apartment (before you ask, I have the bedroom as my room and the living room is my mom's room)... But we're not exactly rich enough to afford anything more.

Comment

I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread. I too am looking into making the switch to Mac OSX, though I might consider an imac desktop instead of a laptop as I already have a Toshiba Portege ultra portable that's oh so sleek and thin

As for the money discussion, I guess I could say that I'm like TC, average family living in an average middle class area and with both parents working. Money isn't an issue as I get provided with everything I need... car expenses, educational needs, accommodation and what not... BUT... I still work and make my own money to spend on extra things (ie. going out, eating out, project car etc.).
                  Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

You want a MacBook? One of those things with sharp edges that you can use to cut bread, fish and your arms? One of those things that uses the case as the CPU heat sink and gets so hot it burns your lap?
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

oh I had a White MacBook a few years ago... I hated that thing...I cut myself on the edges in my bed once and blood was all over...when the OS got corrupted I reinstalled from the install DVD and sold it for $700. Lol. Yeah and there was a burn mark in the chair i sat it on once....

But this one looks better

Comment

Hey man don't take this the wrong way, but you're going to be wanting a car real soon and you already have gadgets out the ass.

$1k here, $120 there, $200 there... it would add up to enough to buy a nice used car quick.

Comment

Mac Enthusiast here.

I say get it. Buy a new one because the old ones hold on to their value and the new one isn't that much more.

Try out a secure, stable OS running on decent hardware with excellent battery life for a change.

If you dislike OSX, there's always Linux or even Windows if you're a masochist.
                          Better, OSX allows you to run virtualization software like Parallels or Fusion so you can run as many OS's as you like.

The Air is a fine little laptop. The primary characteristic is small size and light weight. If you are more of a power user you might want to consider one of the smaller MacBook Pros which are not much bigger but more capable.

When dealing with Apple products, remember this:
                          The "High Price" that everyone on the Internet fusses and hollers about will soon be forgotten but the great utility will remain.

If it ends up that you don't like it, the resale value is pretty good so there's not much to lose unless you destroy it.

GO TEAM APPLE!.
                          The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane View Post
                            If it ends up that you don't like it, the resale value is pretty good so there's not much to lose unless you destroy it.
                            This is true. My iPod (2004, 4th-gen 20GB, black & white screen) can go for $60+ on eBay if it's in good shape. A Creative model of similar vintage with a B&W screen is pretty much worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                              This is true. My iPod (2004, 4th-gen 20GB, black & white screen) can go for $60+ on eBay if it's in good shape. A Creative model of similar vintage with a B&W screen is pretty much worthless.
                              Ipods are a special case... so many things were ipod-only and are still compatible with current products... WLG, now you see why I instantly took that one when I saw it for $20.

macbooks- meh. I would prefer a dell latitude in good condition. same quality, lower price, easier repair/maintenance (they are designed to be non-throw-away). If you must have OSX, I see... but it never seemed to justufy the extra $$$ to me.
                              sigpic

Comment

Get one of the tiny IBM laptops if you want. Might be cheaper. Macbook air is a bit of an expensive waste. I can run OSX on a dell gx280, OS is not the issue. At least get a macbook pro or the HP copy.

Without bootcamp OSX->Windows on the macs I've used is shitty. You can never get rid of the mac scourge or you will have to have apps for right click and all that jazz. Win7 driver support was abysmal and single button touchpad was really annoying.

Comment

My IBM X31 was great but it broke and it was hella slow and i hated the 1024x768 screen...
                                  Can't get a MacBook Pro because it's too expensive. Don't want another PC laptop since I've got a very recent Lenovo Core-i5-based one...
                                  If I want windows i will do it on my PC...
                                  If I can sell some of my stuff ill buy the Air.

Comment

Put OSX on the i5 and dual boot. What graphics card?

Comment

It's not the os I care about. Mostly the gOod battery and small size and lightness

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                                        Hey man don't take this the wrong way, but you're going to be wanting a car real soon and you already have gadgets out the ass.

$1k here, $120 there, $200 there... it would add up to enough to buy a nice used car quick.
                                        Now that i read this, I agree 100%.

techie toys are nice but trust me, once you have a license, you will want the car. trust me, if I had the money that you claim to have for a macbook error (oops, i mean air), I would go for a used car without hesitation... trust me, being 19 with no car really sucks.

besides, do you REALLY need a macbook air? most of what you say is more of "nice things", but in your situation is unnecessary. not saying that it is wrong to want one, but I think you need to take a step back and reconsider your priorities.

hell, your i5 is nicer than what I use... I use a dell latitude d630 with a 2.4ghz c2d. minus crappy battery life (battery wear related), it does everything I want and more. I paid $250 for this thing (not trying to the argument about my laptop).

and trust me, in college, a laptop DOES help. HS, not really... and besides, you may even get a NEW laptop as part of financial aid/scholarships when college rolls around... or it may come as part of tuition. I didn't get one that way, but due to the school computer labs, I don't technically need it (it helps when taking notes though).

don't take this the wrong way, but seriously, IMHO, you have the wrong idea here.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X