Recapping Successes & Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recapping Successes & Failures

Recapping a board does not always end in success, but the odds are better than even. The process is time-consuming and not likely to be financially rewarding unless people are sending you boards to recap.

Here's my totals so far:

Full Recaps (Successful) - 8 (Tyan S2425(2), Asus CUR-DLS(2), Abit KT7 RAID, Asus TUSCL-2(2), Soyo K7V KT400 Dragon)

Full Recaps (Failed) - 3 (Asus A7A266, Abit KT7 Raid, IBM 8926)

Partial Recaps (Success) - 5

Video Cards (Success) - 2

Sound Cards (Success) - 15+

I changed over from the solder sucker to the pin technique. Sucked the solder right off the pads one time too many.

So for me, it's still worth doing, at least in terms of pass/fail.

Buying boards to recap though is iffy. I have enough on hand to keep me going for quite a while.

I think most people here are recapping flat panels and PSUs rather than MOBOS.

Re: Recapping Successes & Failures

i can play at this game.

Motherboards 32 this year
    video cards 2 this year
    monitors 3 this week i just started recapping them the other day but i have another 15 or so to go
    power supplies 4
    lcd monitor external power supplies 5

i don't count failures just success i keep a serial number list in case any come back
    Last edited by gerg; 11-26-2010, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Success:

3x Commodore Amiga 500
      1x Commodore CDTV
      1X Commodore CDTV - only PSU
      1XADSL router Zyxel Prestige
      2x Dlink 10/100MB 8 port switchs
      1x Dlink 10/100MB 4 port switch
      1x PSU for my PC
      2x Pentium SBC boards
      1x CRT TV - LG Flatron
      1x HDD Pioneer recorder
      1x VT-SS30 Velleman soldering station
      1x PSU for GVP A530 Turboboard
      1x PSU for GVP HD8+ HDD+RAM expansion
      3x A500 PSU's
      And countless binned alarm components from my company.

And then today, my first failure
      1X Pentium SBC board.
      And it actually worked BEFORE I put my hands on it...

Comment

Nice to see so many successes. Hope it encourages people to give Motherboard recapping a try, rather than just giving up!

Comment

Hi bigbeark,

I have an old KT400 Dragon Ultra Platinum mobo that started crashing randomly after being on for a while. I brought it to a local computer repair place, they left it on all night to test it and it crashed. They told me it was definitely the mobo, and that the KT400 was notorious for having bad caps.
          • Have you ever heard that about the KT400?
          • Would you say that random crashes like that (where everything hangs and the partitions on the system HDD get corrupted) are most often caused by bad caps?

Thanks!
          Steve

Comment

those soyo boards were built in the days when there were more crapcaps than good.double danger if it was a soyo built system.the case was good but the power supply was pure junk.doubt many are still around unless unused all these years.recap it.if its a soyo built system shitcan the power supply.

Comment

If you inspect the chipset and MOSFETs -before- considering it a candidate for a recap you will reduce your failed re-cap rate.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by stevekasian View Post
                Hi bigbeark,
                [*]Have you ever heard that about the KT400?
                [*]Would you say that random crashes like that (where everything hangs and the partitions on the system HDD get corrupted) are most often caused by bad caps?[/LIST]

Thanks!
                Steve
                Yes, SOYO boards use crappy caps. Yes bad caps will give you system hangs. and yes, HDD partitions can be corrupted by bad caps.

I recapped my SOYO and it works great! No crashes and the operating temps went way down.

Replace every one of the shiny SOYSO caps with good quality low-ESR, Low Impedance caps.

Soyo also cheated with can sizes on their caps. The 10v 1000uf caps on those boards are too small. You will need to fit slightly taller caps for these.

If you are going to recap be very sure you have a good-quality power supply too. You should also scour the internet for BIOS updates.

Consider recapping the board yourself. Paying someone to do it for you is pricey ($80). That said, recapping is time-consuming, fiddly work and you are still going to put $30 into new caps anyway.

If you do opt for someone else to recap it, give this site's operator your business. Topcat is experienced and conscientious!

Comment

Nice! Thanks so much for the info!

Wow - I'm excited! I have that Soyo and a PC-Chips mobo that I've kept hiding away in their original boxes for years and years. I couldn't bring myself to simply throw them in the trash as it just seemed like such a waste, even though they didn't work. Well, now I know my gut feeling was well founded!

I build my own boxes, so the Soyo isn't a complete system - just a mobo.

I'm gonna get right on that fiddly work just as soon as I get all my tools in order over Christmas. Man... I sure wich I'd have known about badcaps.net before I made my Christmas list. There's a whole slew of little gadgets I am gonna need now! :-).

Steve

Comment

Oh, another question... Inside of an ATX PSU I'm repairing are some caps that say "lowesr", as if it's a brand name. There is even spacing between all the letters and they're all in lower case. It's the only name I can see on them. Is this actually a brand? Also in the same unit are Cheng caps, which I've seen listed in the bad caps thread here, but I haven't seen any reference to "lowesr" as a brand name here. Any thoughts?

The problem was an explosion I heard the other night as the thing sat idle, plugged in and in the on position, but with the mobo powered completely down. It was a single NPN transistor that grenaded. I'z able to find the pieces and get a PN off it. (NTE2659 equivalent.) Got that little bugger waiting for me in will call down @ MarVac in Costa Mesa =).

Steve

Comment

I have that Soyo and a PC-Chips mobo that I've kept hiding away in their original boxes for years and years.
                      Soyo probably worth a recap

PC Chips - not necessarily
                      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                        Soyo probably worth a recap

PC Chips - not necessarily
                        Is PC Chips not ECS?

Comment

Oh, another question... Inside of an ATX PSU I'm repairing are some caps that say "lowesr", as if it's a brand name. There is even spacing between all the letters and they're all in lower case. It's the only name I can see on them. Is this actually a brand? Also in the same unit are Cheng caps, which I've seen listed in the bad caps thread here, but I haven't seen any reference to "lowesr" as a brand name here. Any thoughts?
                          Before investing any recap work into a junk power supply, you have to wonder, is this unit worth recapping? I've seen Cheng/ChengX in a lot of leadman units, and they are just throw away junk.

Comment

Don't go to the trouble of recapping your board if you are going to use a crappy power supply.

Throw that old PSU out. Look for good quality brands used on craigslist. ENERMAX make very good PSUs. Other good names are DELTA, HIPRO, SPI (Sparkle Power), FORTRON and POWERMAN. You want a 20-pin power connector. You could also go to a computer recycler. Tip: The better power supplies weigh a lot more than the cheap junk. If the power supply feels light in your hands - it's junk!

Comment

Thanks for all the input.

Have a merry Christmas!

Comment

Beware the Enermax Liberty and Noisetaker lines.
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5466

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by top_cat View Post
                                  Is PC Chips not ECS?
                                  PcChips is in reality just a distribution company.
                                  Hsing Tech is the manufacturer and they'll make boards for whoever wants some.
                                  If you want some white box boards to slap a "Top Cat" sticker on and call your own then Hsing Tech is the one to talk to.
                                  Minimum order used to be 10,000 boards. [Don't ask.. long story..]
                                  They sell their own boards branded as PcChips. [As Hsing Tech owns PcChips.].

They make [or have made] boards for ECS, Asus and many others. [Many of which are defunct.]

The Asus/Hsing tech boards are aka AsRock.
                                  [Now you know why AsRock boards suck.]

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Interesting. I didn't know that AsRock boards sucked (never heard of them). But I do now. ;-) Thanks for the info.

Comment

so far i have done two LCD monitors. simple stuff, not sure how long here going to last but i have a guy that will bring his monitors to me every time they fail. going to do my first mob this week yeaaa. will not know if it will work or not its a emachine. done a lot of tube tv's over the years. mostly the audio caps tend to fry.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                        PcChips is in reality just a distribution company.
                                        Hsing Tech is the manufacturer and they'll make boards for whoever wants some.
                                        If you want some white box boards to slap a "Top Cat" sticker on and call your own then Hsing Tech is the one to talk to.
                                        Minimum order used to be 10,000 boards. [Don't ask.. long story..]
                                        They sell their own boards branded as PcChips. [As Hsing Tech owns PcChips.].

They make [or have made] boards for ECS, Asus and many others. [Many of which are defunct.]

The Asus/Hsing tech boards are aka AsRock.
                                        [Now you know why AsRock boards suck.]
                                        So they're like Solytech then? Can make a good product... but will snatch the money from whoever wants anything?

Comment

Working...
                                        X